Calories - How important is it?

2»

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    And no my logging isn't inaccurate, whats the point in lying? Serves no purpose and is pretty stupid.

When people ask if your logging is accurate, they mean are you weighing everything with a food scale, not do you log everything you eat or just leave things out. And since you don't weigh everything, your logging is inaccurate.
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    food scales make a world of difference. you can easily over estimate a portion regardless of measuring cups. in some instances i found i was able to actually eat *more* of something because the scale & cup/portion sizes varied too much. once you get comfortable with seeing what a portion looks like on a scale you get pretty good at estimating correct portion sizes and don't have to be all fanatical. also i'm sure you might be underestimating your consumption, not lying. cus if you were undereating you wouldn't need to lose weight in the first place, right? getting a cheap scale would be a good idea, and set little alarms or a schedule out for eating if your appetite is weird. mine goes haywire often and it's hard to eat or i'll just graze. but if you log consistently and as accurately as you can and get enough calories in for healthy weight loss i'm sure you will be fine. :blush:
  • Cazzy34
    Cazzy34 Posts: 159 Member
    Firstly, its great that you have lost some weight.. well done :smiley:

I have looked at your diary and over the last week or so and I can only see you logging for one day. It is very easy to overlook what you are eating if you don't log religiously. Yeah we all maybe have the odd day where we don't log due to being on holiday etc however you need to log everyday so that you can see any patterns forming and correctly track your calories.

I second the scale. I use mine everyday! Oh and a set of measuring spoons. If you are using oil of any sort a tablespoon or teaspoon is much less than you think!!

You could also log in advance and plan what you are eating which might help you stop picking through the night.

Good luck.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    How important is it to meet your calorie goal? It's important. It's not the end of the world to be a few calories shy or over here and there, but it is important to get enough food to be healthy. I think it was pointed out already that with IBS it may be even more important for you since your body may not be efficiently using/getting the nutrition you put in it anyway.

I don't think I see your stats anywhere, so I don't know how many calories you should be eating, so for the sake of argument we'll say the 1300 you have set is sufficient. You are losing weight, so you are in some sort of a calorie deficit, however if you were truly eating what your diary says, you'd likely be losing at a much higher rate. The amount you are logging is very unhealthy and you won't make any progress to your goal of getting muscle with that....more likely you'll pass out and crack yourself in the head with a barbell on the calorie amounts you say you are eating. I suspect your count is a bit higher than you estimate given your losses aren't atrociously high so you may be eating a healthier amount than your diary says. To really know you'd have to accurately log....accurately meaning specific weights and correct entries. I slack off and log lazy on occasion, but I know when I do it may affect my bottom line...it happens, but for consistent progress, it is important to be conscientious about it most of the time.

Final thought from looking at your diary if you really are eating as little as you say....try more calorie dense foods. If you are having trouble reaching your calorie goal through amount of food, why eat low calorie options? Go for the high calorie, nutrient dense foods. I admit I don't know much about triggers for IBS, but I suspect there must be some more calorie dense food choices than you have indicated. Eating at the calorie levels you have logged will not result in anything healthy.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Merkavar wrote: »
    No I don't. It may look odd the portion I had today for dinner, because well... it was nasty. Couldn't eat more.

Warning- your about to get replies saying if you don't use a scale it will be inaccurate logging

There is a reason why so many people recommend using a scale, especially early in the weight loss journey. Looking at her diary, there is an entry of "Chocolate - Chocolate, 1 chocolate" ... no weight, no size, no brand, no identification of a chocolate what .. without weighing that piece of chocolate, how is anyone supposed to log it close to accurately? "Bananas - Raw, 1 medium (7" to 7-7/8" long)" ... right of the bat is an almost 12% variance based on the length range ... so, again, how is one supposed to accurately log that?
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    And no my logging isn't inaccurate, whats the point in lying? Serves no purpose and is pretty stupid.
    Not lying but, looking at just your breakfast yesterday - 1 medium banana, 1 ham slice, 6 melba toasts - is not accurate logging. The calories in a 'medium' banana could vary wildly and ham slices and melba toasts vary in size as well, even when they are portioned out by the manufacturer.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Starving yourself, is only going to lead to over eating later. You need to make sure you get the minimum 1200 calories, so your body can get the nutrients it needs. You didn't come to need to lose 15 pounds in a week, so it won't come off that quickly.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    If you've only eaten 672 calories and you aren't hungry, it's likely that your logging is wildly inaccurate. Did you actually weigh the portions of everything you ate?

That, or she's in denial. Plenty of women (and probably men) manage to convince themselves that they're full on a really low calorie intake. Either way, if it's truly 672 calories, it's not nearly enough no matter how "full" she is.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    No I don't. It may look odd the portion I had today for dinner, because well... it was nasty. Couldn't eat more.

Warning- your about to get replies saying if you don't use a scale it will be inaccurate logging

Of course she is, are you disagreeing?

Nope. Just a warning. Saying you don't use a scale is like a trigger word.

More like a "ding ding ding ding DIIIIIINNNNNGGG!!! There ya go!" word