Squats--1/2 way down or butt to ground? See pic

Options

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    My advice? Pick a squat type (low bar or high bar) that you can do with good form given your particular anthropomorphy.

Then consistently improve it and add load to it whilst striving to maintain good form.

Changing your squat style based on a single training article when you're not having problems with your existing set-up (or one's that can be fixed with minor tweaks) is nuts.

PREACH
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    OP that pic is total badassery :D You are awesome and thanks for posting.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    When you all say that you go down slightly past parallel (or even to parallel) and then back up, are you consciously making the effort to reverse directions at that point or is that as far as you can go, at which point you automatically reverse directions? I always wonder that when this comes up.

For me, it's the knees. I have tried several different squats, feet further apart, toes pointed slightly out, front, back, high, low, sumo etc. once I reach a certain point (about an inch, maybe 2 below parallel) I feel a sort of rubberband feeling in my left knee so that tells me to get my butt back up. Haha. I can't pull huge #'s squatting , this is something I have learned to live with. With the knee, and back problems that I have it has forced me to not worry about how heavy my squats are, but rather to have spot on form every single time and this has proven to be much more effective to me anyhow so it's a win win :smile:
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I go slightly past parallel but not by much.

Me as well.

This. I have no problem getting to just below parallel, but as soon as I try to go any lower, my butt winks, or so I hear that's what it's called, so I've stopped going down lower than just below parallel because frankly, I have no idea what this butt "winking" is or how it can negatively affect my body. Also I'm Latin and have a naturally big butt, so I'm not too worried about whether or not it's getting any bigger. If you're reaching parallel or just below, that, in my mind, is a full squat.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    When you all say that you go down slightly past parallel (or even to parallel) and then back up, are you consciously making the effort to reverse directions at that point or is that as far as you can go, at which point you automatically reverse directions? I always wonder that when this comes up.

For me, it's the knees. I have tried several different squats, feet further apart, toes pointed slightly out, front, back, high, low, sumo etc. once I reach a certain point (about an inch, maybe 2 below parallel) I feel a sort of rubberband feeling in my left knee so that tells me to get my butt back up. Haha. I can't pull huge #'s squatting , this is something I have learned to live with. With the knee, and back problems that I have it has forced me to not worry about how heavy my squats are, but rather to have spot on form every single time and this has proven to be much more effective to me anyhow so it's a win win :smile:

Yeah, I don't see myself ever getting super heavy squatting either. So far I prefer front squats over back squats and can go heavier that way. But I like Zerchers and goblet squats even more and prefer to do them lighter with higher reps. Squatting is my least favorite exercise but one I do because I like the results.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I go as low as I need to go the get white lights; just breaking parallel. Warm ups tend to be much lower just to get some mobility in.
  • JeffS435
    JeffS435 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I was always told legs should be parellel to floor not lower
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    jsimms435 wrote: »

Legs should be at least parallel.

How much further(if at all) is down to squat style and your personal levers/mobility...
  • cjack19
    cjack19 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
  • juliewatkin
    Options

Which part should be parallel; the top or bottom?
  • labeastette
    labeastette Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Guess I should start focusing on trying to go lower on my squats then! But I've read that you should watch that your knees don't go past your toes or something like that. Good form is key and it helps to know that if you are going to go that low, to lighten the load you're lifting. Great tips! Thanks!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    My advice? Pick a squat type (low bar or high bar) that you can do with good form given your particular anthropomorphy.

Then consistently improve it and add load to it whilst striving to maintain good form.

Changing your squat style based on a single training article when you're not having problems with your existing set-up (or one's that can be fixed with minor tweaks) is nuts.

this rings true.

I go as low as I can for training. I do pause squats once a week- and I get as deep as I can- I hate holding at parallel- it's uncomfortable and feels like I'm going to do some damage.

As I go up in weight- the less deep I get on the squat. Right now I can do 85% of my 1 RPM to full a22 to grass depth- and or pause squats. After that it starts getting a little sloppy and or shallow (those are the options).

If you don't feel settled on your particular flavor- play around with it- then just pick one- and work the best you can at it. I played around 2 years ago with low bar squatting and caused me weird spinal compression issues- so I gave up and just focused on really improving my high bar squat. And baby- we've come a long way ;)

Once you bring attention to it and really focus on mobility and technique and REALLY improving you can get so much more comfortable with it- it's amazing.
  • juliewatkin
    Options
    Guess I should start focusing on trying to go lower on my squats then! But I've read that you should watch that your knees don't go past your toes or something like that. Good form is key and it helps to know that if you are going to go that low, to lighten the load you're lifting. Great tips! Thanks!

I'd be wary of the knees past toes advice. Whether your knees go past your toes is dependent upon your body's mechanics. I have long femurs. When I squat (low bar) keeping the weight centred over my feet, my knees go past my toes. Much of it is the mechanics of your bodies levers. You are definitely correct about maintaining dialed in form.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

this rings true.

I go as low as I can for training. I do pause squats once a week- and I get as deep as I can- I hate holding at parallel- it's uncomfortable and feels like I'm going to do some damage.

As I go up in weight- the less deep I get on the squat. Right now I can do 85% of my 1 RPM to full a22 to grass depth- and or pause squats. After that it starts getting a little sloppy and or shallow (those are the options).

If you don't feel settled on your particular flavor- play around with it- then just pick one- and work the best you can at it. I played around 2 years ago with low bar squatting and caused me weird spinal compression issues- so I gave up and just focused on really improving my high bar squat. And baby- we've come a long way ;)

Once you bring attention to it and really focus on mobility and technique and REALLY improving you can get so much more comfortable with it- it's amazing.

don't you also do prison squats?????????? bahahahahahaha
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I'd be wary of the knees past toes advice. Whether your knees go past your toes is dependent upon your body's mechanics. I have long femurs. When I squat (low bar) keeping the weight centred over my feet, my knees go past my toes. Much of it is the mechanics of your bodies levers. You are definitely correct about maintaining dialed in form.

I would be more wary of knees caving in ....

that is something I am always working on and trying to remember to force them out as I drive up ..
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Yep, I have very limited ankle and wrist mobility and I can only front squat if I put a 2x4 under my heels, and then I can go pretty much ATG with fronts.

But I would simply fall over backwards if I went any lower on back squats. Looking at the pic in the OP, her knees come up to what, her boobs? My knees go up to my shoulders when I tuck. It means my butt (and all of that mass) is that much farther behind the center of mass, and I can't move things forward because my ankles simply don't bend that far. So I'm a lot like the exaggerated example he uses, except (thankfully!) I don't have the short tibias.

(If you can't see it, just picture the person in the OP with longer femurs, where does that put the barbell as well as everything above her knee? Farther back. What can she do to move it forward? Pretty much nothing, her ankles and hips are already at their limits.)

OP, check out my avatar. I'm pretty sure my glutes are not getting shorted. :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »

this rings true.

don't you also do prison squats?????????? bahahahahahaha

convict conditioning is the only way to go now.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    cjack19 wrote: »

^this
  • _nice_
    _nice_ Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    @Ilovefastball 99, how tall are you? I am really struggling with form and not pushing my knees out over my feet. I do 100's of body weight squats against a wall to correct it before i get under the bar. My trainer is like a foot shorter than me (literally) and makes it look so freakin easy.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

Which part should be parallel; the top or bottom?

Your thighs