Ever switch to a 'lighter' version of a food and then discover the change wasn't that helpful?

Options
jenniferinfl
jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Years ago I switched from using half and half to using whole milk. I remember reasoning that it would be a calorie reduction but I could still enjoy my coffee "not black".
Yesterday I was visiting my parents and without any thought at all, I used half and half. Now, I only have two cups of coffee a day as it is because I use milk and sugar in my coffee. So, I've finished my coffee, look down and realize it was the best coffee I've had in a long time. Then, in horror, realize why. Because I used real cream instead of regular milk. I went ahead and retraced my steps so that I could get a good approximate on how much I'd used and went home with the thought that I'd be logging some 300 calories and my day was shot unless I did something crazy like an hour of workout videos. I used a whole stinkin' 1/4 cup of half and half.

So, I get home, log it, and am horrified all over again to discover that a 1/4 cup of half and half has only 6.. Yes, 6! calories more than the 1/2 cup of whole milk I usually use in my coffee.

So, for a savings of 6 calories, I've had rather "blegh" coffee for years. Seriously?! AND, realistically, I could have used less half and half and still enjoyed my coffee more than I do with whole milk. It actually was a bit too much half and half.

Anyways, yeah, that was a terrible food assumption. My other terrible assumption being that if you're female you can't eat beef and lose weight. I had a personal trainer tell me that. Also, completely wrong. I mean, I probably can't have a 12 ounce steak. But I sure can have 2-4 ounces once or twice a day.

31000937.png

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you're still working with that trainer, fire him. :D

Yeah, it's good to read labels closely. Often when fat is removed, sugar is added.
    You have to be a good label reader these days.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I drank skim or fat free milk for years. Now I drink whole and like it better. I also got on a turkey bacon kick for a while. It is OK but doesn't beat real bacon. Same deal with fat free cheese vs regular cheese.

I was a lot more militant about that stuff when I started mfp in 2013 but now a lot of times it just isn't worth it to me to save a few calories here and there.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    If you're still working with that trainer, fire him. :D
    This, what an idiot.

And no, I usually use what I like and just use less of it. Light peanut butter or light/fat free cheese? Why!? :s
  • jenniferinfl
    Options
    That personal trainer is long gone... lol Not everything she said was terrible, I would say her exercise plans were okay, but her food plans were terrible. She recommended lots of lunch meat and crackers. At that point, I hadn't had fast food in a long time, but she was of the opinion that all fatties got fat on fast food. She would start the session by mentioning whatever promo McDonalds had running at the time. One I remember in particular was she was going on and on about how I had to just resist McFlurries, even though they look so good in the commercial. I let her go on for about 5 minutes before interrupting her to let her know I'd never had a McFlurry and had no intention of having one now. She immediately asked me if I preferred Wendy's Frosty instead.. *sigh*. It was always like, no lady, let me reiterate. I got fat on roast chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy and steamed veggies. I got fat on lasagna. I got fat on scrambled eggs and hashbrowns. I did NOT get fat on fastfood and pizza. I actually maintained weight on fastfood and pizza.. lol All my weight gaining periods have happened eating food prepared at home. Which, admittedly, is kind of weird. lol
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Years ago I decided to stop drinking Coke and drink orange juice instead, since I liked them both as much I figured I might as well go for the healthy option. Turns out there are more calories in orange juice. I just stick to water now.

And I'd love to talk to that personal trainer, some interesting ideas she's got there.
  • jenniferinfl
    Options
    I drank skim or fat free milk for years. Now I drink whole and like it better. I also got on a turkey bacon kick for a while. It is OK but doesn't beat real bacon. Same deal with fat free cheese vs regular cheese.

I was a lot more militant about that stuff when I started mfp in 2013 but now a lot of times it just isn't worth it to me to save a few calories here and there.

LOL, funny you mention turkey bacon, I LOVED that stuff for awhile. I mean, it's not bacon, but there was something about it I actually loved. It's no bacon replacement, but, geesch, now that you've mentioned it I'll have to get some again. I was never a huge bacon fan, I was always the one who substituted my bacon for sausage, but I sure like turkey bacon. Can't believe I forgot about it.
    Yeah, fat free cheese is a heck no unless I'm using it in a recipe where it won't matter that much. I'll use fat free sour cream in a mug cake, but I won't put that blasphemy on a potato.. lol

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    That personal trainer is long gone... lol Not everything she said was terrible, I would say her exercise plans were okay, but her food plans were terrible. She recommended lots of lunch meat and crackers. At that point, I hadn't had fast food in a long time, but she was of the opinion that all fatties got fat on fast food. She would start the session by mentioning whatever promo McDonalds had running at the time. One I remember in particular was she was going on and on about how I had to just resist McFlurries, even though they look so good in the commercial. I let her go on for about 5 minutes before interrupting her to let her know I'd never had a McFlurry and had no intention of having one now. She immediately asked me if I preferred Wendy's Frosty instead.. *sigh*. It was always like, no lady, let me reiterate. I got fat on roast chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy and steamed veggies. I got fat on lasagna. I got fat on scrambled eggs and hashbrowns. I did NOT get fat on fastfood and pizza. I actually maintained weight on fastfood and pizza.. lol All my weight gaining periods have happened eating food prepared at home. Which, admittedly, is kind of weird. lol

Not weird...you tended to overeat the stuff that tasted the best! Sounds like you just like good food to me!

My MIL is obsessed with every new artificial sweetener that comes out. She talks it up, how good it's supposed to be...and is then crushed that it doesn't taste like sugar. She's not a huge sugar fiend, nor does she have a medical condition to warrant limiting it. She's not even really trying to lose weight...I'm always like, "You mix less than 50 calories a day of sugar in your coffee and iced tea. Why fuss over finding an alternative? Just eat the damned sugar and enjoy it!"
  • SatiaRenee
    SatiaRenee Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness yes! I cannot compromise on my coffee. Half & Half and, when I want a real treat, heavy cream. But heavy cream is for birthdays and such. Not an every day thing. Ugh.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    For personal reasons (and not to start a debate) I'm doing atkins and getting all my carbs from veggies and making sure they are truly healthy. I realized that heavy whipping cream has (for 1 TBSP) 52 calories, 6g fat and 0 carbs whereas the Peppermint Mocha Coffee Mate powder (per serving) has 60 calories, 3g fat and 8 carbs. And I think it tastes better too. But no matter what eating plan I've used I will allow for the extra calories and macros for real cheese, butter, etc. because I'm more about whole foods and not pre-packaged and processed foods.
  • who4fan
    who4fan Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    There are just some things that I won't give up, real butter, full fat cheese(except laughing cow, that actually tastes pretty good on crackers and pretzels) real peanut butter. You really do need to investigate, like you said. Even when restricting calories, you should eat food you enjoy!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Fat-free cheese & lowfat peanut butter are things I will never buy again.
    Ick.

I usually get full-fat sour cream, though sometimes go with low-fat.
    Never nonfat, because it too just does not taste right, and I'm willing to spend the calories on it.

But I do drink skim milk. I grew up on 2%, and have tried whole (which tastes thick).
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I have to agree...light cheese is just not worth it! Full fat, extra delicious sharp cheeses have tons of flavor and 1 oz goes a long way! I will do things that taste just as good to me (light cream cheese, sour cream, cottage cheese) to save 10-20 calories here and there. Those add up when you are having 1200 a day!
  • loganrandy69
    loganrandy69 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm actually pretty much against faux anything. I'd rather have real pizza 3 times a year than fake pizza (I'm looking at you cauliflower crust) weekly. I'd rather treat myself to some real ice cream once a month than buy a gallon of sugar free and have it every day.

With a notable exception of diet soda, of course. I can't drink a regular soda anymore, its too sweet.
  • dbkle
    dbkle Posts: 44
    Options

That's my deal too. I've never gotten into the fast food thing. Also, speaking of lasagna, the lasagna I make at home has 1,200 calories per slice. Probably the hardest thing to give up ever. I made a less fattening alternative (only 800 calories per slice) and it wasn't worth the calories. I say, either have what you like or don't. Replacing only breeds resentment, at least for me.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I once bought sugar free strawberry jelly, thinking that it would still taste like strawberries, just not so sweet like normal jelly... ugh... didn't have ANY taste. NEVER AGAIN!! :confounded:
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    I wish that the single-serve yogurt pots were higher fat. They only seem to come in 0 and 2%. I really love the higher fat Greek yogurts but they are only available in the big pots, and the smaller ones are so convenient.

• jkwolly
    Options
    dbkle wrote: »

That's my deal too. I've never gotten into the fast food thing. Also, speaking of lasagna, the lasagna I make at home has 1,200 calories per slice. Probably the hardest thing to give up ever. I made a less fattening alternative (only 800 calories per slice) and it wasn't worth the calories. I say, either have what you like or don't. Replacing only breeds resentment, at least for me.
    Woah !

I make a mean turkey lasagna loaded with cheese, and it's 420 calories per piece!
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options

Yeah, I got fat because I'm a pretty good cook and enjoy making delicious (high calorie) home-cooked meals. I also had a baking business for a while, which didn't help.
    Never ate fast food more than once a week, and even then, just a regular meal. And I don't even like pizza that much. I mean, it's ok, but I wouldn't choose it.
  • jkwolly
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »

Yeah, I got fat because I'm a pretty good cook and enjoy making delicious (high calorie) home-cooked meals. I also had a baking business for a while, which didn't help.
    Never ate fast food more than once a week, and even then, just a regular meal. And I don't even like pizza that much. I mean, it's ok, but I wouldn't choose it.
    Blasphemy!
  • determined_14
    determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm a whipping cream-in-coffee fiend over here too. Currently trying to do half-n-half most of the time, but it does NOT taste as good! Unfortunately, I can't get away with putting half the cream, so it is fewer calories to go with the half-n-half...
    If I could coax myself to drink one cup of coffee instead of 2, I would stick with cream, but alas...! (Used up the last of the half-n-half this morning though, and can't get to the store till Saturday-- looks like I'll "resign" myself to cream for a couple days...