Ever switch to a 'lighter' version of a food and then discover the change wasn't that helpful?

Options

Replies

• EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    I wish that the single-serve yogurt pots were higher fat. They only seem to come in 0 and 2%. I really love the higher fat Greek yogurts but they are only available in the big pots, and the smaller ones are so convenient.
    I agree! My fix is that I bought a $20 yogurt maker on amazon and make my own. (It makes 7-7 ounce "single serve pots.") I use whole milk, half and half and even a bit of heavy cream and evaporated milk. I put in a cup or so of powdered milk and the stuff comes out cheesecake-thick and so satisfyingly full of fat! (and unbelievably high in protein) :blush: Yes, it almost doubles the calories but I factor it in to my day's macros easily. And I would rather enjoy a cup of yummy, good for me yogurt than force down a "skinny batch" just to save a few calories. It's all about planning. I just go a bit lighter on my other fats for the day.
    I also have to comment on the bacon/turkey bacon thing....I am NOT a big fan of real bacon but I LOVE turkey bacon (The Jenny-O more so than the Oscar Meyer, not sure why) I eat it almost every morning because I LIKE IT! (not so much because it's better for diet than real bacon) I make real bacon for my roommate and I have turkey bacon. I get 3 pieces and she gets 2, for about the same calories. I drink heavy cream in my coffee, use butter and eat full fat cheese....just all in moderation. The one thing that drives me crazy is that my roommate insists on using lite mayo, it's higher in sugar and the calorie/fat "savings" are negligible. Bring on the BestFoods full on mayo!!!!
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I'm generally disappointed by fat free, "light" etc. I went to buy cool whip (which I never would have done before, but lets face it - I don't have the calories for real whipped cream all the time, and sometimes you just want something a little creamy and sweet), and the light stuff was only 5 calories per serving less. Not worth it.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I wish that the single-serve yogurt pots were higher fat. They only seem to come in 0 and 2%. I really love the higher fat Greek yogurts but they are only available in the big pots, and the smaller ones are so convenient.
    I agree! My fix is that I bought a $20 yogurt maker on amazon and make my own. I use whole milk, half and half and even a bit of heavy cream and evaporated milk. I put in a cup or so of powdered milk and the stuff comes out cheesecake-thick and so satisfyingly full of fat! (and unbelievably high in protein) :blush: Yes, it almost doubles the calories but I factor it in to my day's macros easily. And I would rather enjoy a cup of yummy, good for me yogurt than force down a "skinny batch" just to save a few calories. It's all about planning. I just go a bit lighter on my other fats for the day.
    Not sure where you live, but I find single serve Liberte (Canadian brand) at Costco. It comes in either 5% or 9% - SO delicious. The 9% one is so creamy and delicious, and for 142g it's only around 190-220 calories (depending on flavour), and 9 grams of protein!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Def have coffee the way you like it! Total agreement on full fat sour cream and cream cheese. We don't use cartons of milk or cream fast enough, so I've sort of adopted canned evaporated milk (not sweetened condensed). It's a smaller quantity, keeps well after opening, doesn't dilute your coffee when used as is, and is easy to mix 1:1 with water when a recipe calls for whole milk. Works for us. If I could find the ultra pasteurized little half&half single serving things I'd probably use those instead.

For years I made 2 egg whites+1 egg yoke for breakfast, thinking I was saving a few fat calories. What can I say, I came of age in the Fat-is-bad generation. Now I eat both eggs whole.
  • jacquemartin
    jacquemartin Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had heard over and over and over again that whole wheat everything is the way to go and sooooo much better for you. I convinced myself to eat all my delicious home made tacos and fajitas in whole wheat tortillas and I HATED IT. Im so happy to finally of wised up. A plain flour tortillia has like 90 calories for the small size and tastes loads better then the 80 cal whole wheat cardboard like substance that is supposed to be loads better.

I will always take the white flour ones over wheat now
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    If you're still working with that trainer, fire him. :D

Yeah, it's good to read labels closely. Often when fat is removed, sugar is added.
    You have to be a good label reader these days.

so much all of this! :)
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Real butter. I switched to margarine at one point to "save" calories. Totally not worth it!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm generally disappointed by fat free, "light" etc. I went to buy cool whip (which I never would have done before, but lets face it - I don't have the calories for real whipped cream all the time, and sometimes you just want something a little creamy and sweet), and the light stuff was only 5 calories per serving less. Not worth it.

Ever had whipped coconut milk? Not crazy low calorie, but if you like coconut....its AMAZING!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    dbkle wrote: »
    That personal trainer is long gone... lol Not everything she said was terrible, I would say her exercise plans were okay, but her food plans were terrible. She recommended lots of lunch meat and crackers. At that point, I hadn't had fast food in a long time, but she was of the opinion that all fatties got fat on fast food. She would start the session by mentioning whatever promo McDonalds had running at the time. One I remember in particular was she was going on and on about how I had to just resist McFlurries, even though they look so good in the commercial. I let her go on for about 5 minutes before interrupting her to let her know I'd never had a McFlurry and had no intention of having one now. She immediately asked me if I preferred Wendy's Frosty instead.. *sigh*. It was always like, no lady, let me reiterate. I got fat on roast chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy and steamed veggies. I got fat on lasagna. I got fat on scrambled eggs and hashbrowns. I did NOT get fat on fastfood and pizza. I actually maintained weight on fastfood and pizza.. lol All my weight gaining periods have happened eating food prepared at home. Which, admittedly, is kind of weird. lol

That's my deal too. I've never gotten into the fast food thing. Also, speaking of lasagna, the lasagna I make at home has 1,200 calories per slice. Probably the hardest thing to give up ever. I made a less fattening alternative (only 800 calories per slice) and it wasn't worth the calories. I say, either have what you like or don't. Replacing only breeds resentment, at least for me.
    Yeah, I got fat because I'm a pretty good cook and enjoy making delicious (high calorie) home-cooked meals. I also had a baking business for a while, which didn't help.
    Never ate fast food more than once a week, and even then, just a regular meal. And I don't even like pizza that much. I mean, it's ok, but I wouldn't choose it.
    Blasphemy!

Eh, depends on where you live. I grew up in the Northeast and am back there now...I'm all about the pizza. But, when I lived in the DC area? BERGH. There were NO non chain pizza places, and it is a known fact that chain pizza sucks. Our only options were Dominos, Papa Johns, and Pizza Hut. Now that I've moved back to my hometown, I actually complain about new pizza places opening...

We need to work out an exchange with my old neighborhood in the DC suburbs. I'd be happy to send them a non-chain good woodfired pizza place in exchange for decent Pho and/or Ethiopian food.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I had heard over and over and over again that whole wheat everything is the way to go and sooooo much better for you. I convinced myself to eat all my delicious home made tacos and fajitas in whole wheat tortillas and I HATED IT. Im so happy to finally of wised up. A plain flour tortillia has like 90 calories for the small size and tastes loads better then the 80 cal whole wheat cardboard like substance that is supposed to be loads better.

This, too. I forgot about using whole wheat bread, muffins and tortillas. yuk.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

I like whole wheat better actually, but the big difference for me is the extra fiber in whole wheat stuff.

Taste aside though, a lot of low fat cheeses are a joke... You save 10 calories on low fat feta compared to the full fat stuff... Seriously, why even bother? Same with part skim mozzarella I believe...

The reduced fat Pillsbury crescent rolls too... I bought them once to save calories and was sorely disappointed, then realized they only have 10 less calories than the regular ones, and I was pissed off.

Seriously sometimes it's just ridiculous.
  • JLgettinghealthy
    JLgettinghealthy Posts: 39 Member
    Options

chobani makes these DELICIOUS "indulgent" yogurt pots. whole milk! http://www.chobani.com/products/indulgent

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

So, I get home, log it, and am horrified all over again to discover that a 1/4 cup of half and half has only 6.. Yes, 6! calories more than the 1/2 cup of whole milk I usually use in my coffee.

So, for a savings of 6 calories, I've had rather "blegh" coffee for years. Seriously?! AND, realistically, I could have used less half and half and still enjoyed my coffee more than I do with whole milk. It actually was a bit too much half and half.

You have such an awesome attitude! Good job! :D

It's very important to eat what we like in moderation instead of trying to substitute, and this comes from a former low-fat, low-sugar, low-fat girl.

Is 6 calories for 1/4 cup of half and half an error? 1 ounce has 30 calories, so a quarter cup would have 60.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »

Ever had whipped coconut milk? Not crazy low calorie, but if you like coconut....its AMAZING!

I LOVE coconut milk. Do you whip the coconut milk yourself, or can you actually buy whipped coconut milk? I'd love to try it.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I've felt the same way about cheeses. A lower calorie feta will never be a triple cream brie. I'd much rather eat brie when I want brie and feta when I want feta.

That said, I have felt just fine about switching from regular Italian dressing to light Italian dressing. It's 15 calories vs 85 calories per serving, and I usually have 2 servings at a time. That's one of those cases where the fat loss can be made up for with spices.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

chobani makes these DELICIOUS "indulgent" yogurt pots. whole milk! http://www.chobani.com/products/indulgent

I like them... but I haven't honestly noticed a huge difference in taste with the 0 and 2% stuff.
    SLLRunner wrote: »

So, I get home, log it, and am horrified all over again to discover that a 1/4 cup of half and half has only 6.. Yes, 6! calories more than the 1/2 cup of whole milk I usually use in my coffee.

So, for a savings of 6 calories, I've had rather "blegh" coffee for years. Seriously?! AND, realistically, I could have used less half and half and still enjoyed my coffee more than I do with whole milk. It actually was a bit too much half and half.

You have such an awesome attitude! Good job! :D

It's very important to eat what we like in moderation instead of trying to substitute, and this comes from a former low-fat, low-sugar, low-fat girl.

Is 6 calories for 1/4 cup of half and half an error? 1 ounce has 30 calories, so a quarter cup would have 60.

No, she's correct, she went from 1/2 cup of whole milk (73 calories) to 1/4 cup of half and half (79 calories).

Heck I think you can probably make do with 1/8 cup of half and half honestly.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Skinny flavoured lattes. I drank them weekly for years and would always immediately have it remade if I tasted it and it tasted, well, too good, because I knew it wasn't skim and sugarfree. But one day I was on a six-hour solo drive, stopped for one, and didn't want to go back through the drivethrough or wait in the huge line in the store, so I drank it, and it was obscenely good. And I looked up the calories and it was about 100 calories different, and I just thought - seriously, for the sake of saving 100 calories a week?

It might be different if I had them daily, but they were my Friday treat only. Totally not worth it.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Low fat cream cheese
    Fat free ranch barf
    Ditto others on whole wheat tortillas
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    low fat triscuits, turkey sausage, fake cheese,
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I used to buy 0% fat yogurt. Blech. I can't stand the taste of aspartame so I really didn't enjoy them. Now I just buy the 2% (or higher) stuff.