i want to be honest about my food intake but...

Options
...must i record every morsel that passes my lips? its so tedious and time consuming.

how about broccoli florets?
Cauliflower?
raw fresh veggies
ketchup?
mustard?

Replies

• 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Does it have calories?

Log it.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Does it have calories?

Log it.

QFT
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    if you really want this to work to its fullest potential...YES.

be accountable for EVERYTHING you take in.

everything.

srsly...everything.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I have a personal policy against recording pickles.
    No science behind that. :bigsmile:
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I'm not real anal with getting precise on low-calorie fresh green vegetables. For example, I really don't know if I had one or two tablespoons of celery in my omelette the day before yesterday. But I do log them.
  • happywife2
    happywife2 Posts: 20
    Options
    pardon my ignorance, but what does that stand for?
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Does it have calories?

Log it.

I saw you on the quad at Yale. Sadly I was working there. You...well your the top student.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

quoted for truth.

or quails fear trespassing.

could be either here.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    ...must i record every morsel that passes my lips? its so tedious and time consuming.

how about broccoli florets?
    Cauliflower?
    raw fresh veggies
    ketchup?
    mustard?

I had two servings of broccoli with my sammich for lunch...2 servings of broccoli is around 90 calories. I have a 250 calorie per day deficit from maintenance...so if I suddenly didn't log that, that's 90 calories unaccounted for with a mere 250 calorie deficit.

I'd say do it right or don't even bother. If you're not going to log some stuff don't bother logging anything and just go do some fad diet or something.
  • Alicia_P_28
    Alicia_P_28 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I log every single thing. Every. thing. Even the ketchup and mayo...even the 1/3 of a tomato that adds up to like 6 calories...because at the end of the day it all adds up.
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I log everything, but same as someone said above with stuff like veggies (mostly green ones, not tomatoes or onions) I'm loose on the portion size and just estimate. Anything calorie dense I weigh and log.
  • scapalbo
    scapalbo Posts: 19
    Options

quoted for truth.

or quails fear trespassing.

could be either here.

I read it as "quite ******* true" (which is funny, since it's not a word I use.)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It adds up. Log it. I'm bad and don't log tea, the splash of milk I occasionally put in it, the squeeze of lemon on my fish, and the 10 calories of mustard in my dressings/dips.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    The more calorie-dense a food is, the more important it is to log it accurately. Oils, nuts and nut butters, meat, and full-fat dairy can really add up if you log imprecisely.

For really low-cal foods such as most of the ones you listed, it only matters if you are at a very low body fat percentage, where it is easy to go from a healthy calorie deficit (which has to be fairly small) to a surplus.

You can look for shortcuts in the database--if you have a combination of steamed vegetables, search for the veg names together (e.g., "steamed, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower". Chances are someone else has already entered that into the database. Be warned, though, that the more you rely on such entries, the less precise your logging. People often enter calories only but not macro- and micro-nutrients, or just pull numbers out of their a$$es.
  • marhattap
    marhattap Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I log in everything, except herbs and spices. AIN'T NO BODY GOT TIME FOR DAT :laugh: :huh:
  • scapalbo
    Options
    It's tedious for sure, but "if you bite it, write it"

even the little stuff...because you may think you're OK, but if you've had 3 tbs of ketchup and a splash of cream in your coffee, and that "one bite" of something...it all adds up, and may be the thing that's keeping you from your goal.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? If your goals are moderate changes and time is not much of a concern, you might be able to tolerate a few 100cal difference day to day. Honestly, once you have used this for a few weeks you will likely find all your common foods are in your recently used list so it literally only takes a few minutes.

It took longer to reply to these posts than it should have taken to log those items for two or three days.
  • happywife2
    happywife2 Posts: 20
    Options
    I just entered 4 slices of tomatoes - which shows to be abt 64 calories. I thought fresh veggies were free!

if they're just as expensive as candy or cookies, I might as well have some fun food instead. I know that i'm here to get healthier but I never imagined that I would need to calculate lettuce (which in my opinion tastes closer to grass!)
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    There's a recent tab, and most used tab to help you as you contiune for less searching and less tedious.
    I log my ketchup and mayo all the time.
  • scapalbo
    Options
    I DON'T log 0 calorie drinks (I'm a diet coke fiend, I drink tea, etc...I don't log them, because they are 0 calories and don't have any other things I keep track of in them)

Everything else, I log