i want to be honest about my food intake but...

Options

Replies

• pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Options
    I am absolutely anal. And I am not usually the most organized guy.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    just do it! it works......
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I just entered 4 slices of tomatoes - which shows to be abt 64 calories. I thought fresh veggies were free!

if they're just as expensive as candy or cookies, I might as well have some fun food instead. I know that i'm here to get healthier but I never imagined that I would need to calculate lettuce (which in my opinion tastes closer to grass!)

That's nuts. Half a tomato is probably 25 calories or something. Weigh it. People give totally random values sometimes when they enter things, I swear.
  • scapalbo
    scapalbo Posts: 19
    Options
    I just entered 4 slices of tomatoes - which shows to be abt 64 calories. I thought fresh veggies were free!

if they're just as expensive as candy or cookies, I might as well have some fun food instead. I know that i'm here to get healthier but I never imagined that I would need to calculate lettuce (which in my opinion tastes closer to grass!)

It depends on your program...Weight Watchers used to have a long list of "free" foods.

In general, healthy foods are more filling...you get a larger bang for your calorie buck...in order to go calorie for calorie with a cookie or candy....you might be able to eat 5 tomatoes...far more filling, AND better for you.
  • Zalli
    Zalli Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Sometimes tedium can work to your benefit...

I've found myself at potluck parties where the thought of having to log all the things I bite makes my head hurt. So I just eat less of it. :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

4 slices of tomato will keep you fuller and provide more nutrients than 64 calories of candy or whatever other junk you'd rather eat. You CAN eat 100% of your calories from junk and still lose weight, you'll just feel like crap and look like crap in the end.
  • JasonT1973
    JasonT1973 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    QFT = Quite F***ingTrue ? MEH i have no idea - JUST LOG ALL YOUR FOOD!!!
  • Tamm04
    Tamm04 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I log in everything, except herbs and spices. AIN'T NO BODY GOT TIME FOR DAT :laugh: :huh:

wall-content-aint-nobody-40670_large.jpg
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    pardon my ignorance, but what does that stand for?

quoted for truth.

or quails fear trespassing.

could be either here.

I read it as "quite ******* true" (which is funny, since it's not a word I use.)

I had to google it as I kept reading it as 'Quit F***ing Talking' which seemed harsh. lol.
  • sparkle814
    sparkle814 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I log everything except calorie-free beverages. (Even logging things like diet soda is important though if you are keeping track of sodium.) It may not make a huge difference in your weight loss if you eat 20 calories of lettuce that you don't log, but at least for me it's an accountability thing. Like someone else said, if you bite it, write it. I know if I started leaving things out because they weren't very many calories, I would probably slide off track.

Also, if you are someone who looks at what vitamins and minerals you are or aren't getting enough of, this is obviously essential. (Which is a handy tool if you are focusing on nutrition per se in addition to weight loss. By keeping an eye on these I realized I was getting barely any potassium in my diet...once I started making an effort to include more potassium rich foods I stopped getting leg cramps at night that were affecting me sleep. Just as an example, but I digress.)

Good luck!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If you don't log everything, please don't come back and ask why you aren't losing weight at XX calories.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    ...must i record every morsel that passes my lips? its so tedious and time consuming.

No it's not.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Log it if it has calories.

It gets much less time consuming as you go, especially if you eat a lot of the same foods like I do. I spend probably 10 minutes per day logging at this point.
  • happywife2
    happywife2 Posts: 20
    Options
    ok ok, I WILL LOG EVERYTHING!

thank you friends.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I know it can be kind of time consuming, but it is worth it.

To help, prelog your day ahead of time.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I'm usually pretty anal about logging everything.

My weight loss slowed down a few times, so each time I thought about what I was doing differently. Every time it was because I was picking food off my kids/husbands plate, and not logging it. A few french fries here, a couple of chips or whatever there. The little stuff adds up.

Weigh, measure, log EVERYTHING
  • blackeraser
    Options
    you dont have to log everything EVERYTHING

like if you eat 1 grape don't get onto MFP and track down 1 grape...thats called obsessive calorie counting. But if you ate a whole serving of grapes THEN you track it.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options

this has to be a troll
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Edited - I was responding to other posters not OP!

I suggest you log everything, shows that you are making good choices / what works / what doesn't.

Good luck!
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I log every single thing. Every. thing. Even the ketchup and mayo...even the 1/3 of a tomato that adds up to like 6 calories...because at the end of the day it all adds up.

^ This. you'll see me log everything - mayo, mustard, salt, pepper, garlic... EVERYTHING.