Your microwave dinner is making you obese...

http://www.salon.com/2015/03/19/your_microwave_dinner_is_making_you_obese_what_the_food_industry_doesnt_want_you_to_know_partner/?source=newsletter
Just saw this interesting article this morning in Salon with "food for thought" for all of us pressed for time and in need of convenience. It's definitely something to think about, as I always search for less processed, whole foods.

I look at MFP message boards every morning as I start my day to learn something new from successful, as well as struggling MFP'ers. I decided in late February that I was going to try to eliminate (as much as possible) highly processed foods and to lower my carb intake (on the advice of 2 of my doctors) - so no more potatoes, rice, bread, cookies, starchy veggies (OK -occasionally for the latter) and to add exercise. So far I've lost almost 20 pounds...with about 30-35 more to go. It's a slow process and I don't make myself crazy if some days I'm less behaved than others. Feel free to "friend" me, especially if you're over 60 (or any age), insulin-resistant, and seeking better health for yourself, but trying not to obsess about everything. This is a way of life...

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    And I always thought too many calories made people obese.

When can we stop pointing fingers at the food?
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    I would hesitate about getting my health/nutrition info from Salon. There's lots of sodium in microwave meals, but they don't make you obese.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    RGv2 wrote: »
    And I always thought too many calories made people obese.

When can we stop pointing fingers at the food?

Agree!!

It's time for people to take responsibility for what they do/eat, instead blaming everything else!! Nobody put the food in your mouth, YOU DID!!!
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Funny, I lost 55lbs eating primarily microwave meals.
  • gerrielips
    gerrielips Posts: 180 Member
    I previously felt that microwavable, pre-prepared foods were great because they have a set amount of calories and that helped me with portion control. But now, I don't think of them as especially healthy as they are more "chemical" than I like to have now. Not making a judgement on those that need this convenience where time is an issue, just sayin' that I'm trying to prepare my own foods that have minimal processing.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    I could see microwaves contributing to weight gain because those things NEVER fill me up. I'm trying to figure out where all the calories go because the portions are tiny (and it's not like they taste that good). I'd much rather batch cook and then freeze my own foods.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Unless they're pumping an extra thousand calories into them, no they aren't. And for some, it's the most convenient option.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    gerrielips wrote: »
    I previously felt that microwavable, pre-prepared foods were great because they have a set amount of calories and that helped me with portion control. But now, I don't think of them as especially healthy as they are more "chemical" than I like to have now. Not making a judgement on those that need this convenience where time is an issue, just sayin' that I'm trying to prepare my own foods that have minimal processing.

Name the chemical.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member

Amen.

The high sodium in microwave meals might make you retain water, but its definitely not the only factor in weight gain. Your word of the day is: deficit.
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Microwave meals only make you obese if you eat them while drinking diet soda!

On a more reasonable note, are there healthier choices than microwave meals? Most definitely, but for some, microwave meals are an easy way to stay within a calorie target. Processed foods themselves do not make people obese. Consuming more calories than you burn make people obese.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    Nutritional value from whole foods make them a better choice, but the reality is that people are obese from over consumption and not any particular type of food, additive or drink.
    Basically everything we consume has calories. NOT caring of how much one is eating in calories is why we have an obesity issue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • gerrielips
    gerrielips Posts: 180 Member
    Whatever worked/works for you...but I also never felt satisfied after eating these meals and I felt that they were also too high in sodium for me.
    Congrats on your weight loss!!

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Whatever worked/works for you...but I also never felt satisfied after eating these meals and I felt that they were also too high in sodium for me.

Absolutely whatever works for the individual is best, not saying microwave meals every day would be good for everyone, but they certainly wouldn't stop you losing weight. I always felt way more satisfied eating microwave meals than if I ate anything I made, and they tasted so much nicer, too. I've now moved house since then and I'm gutted that the shop near me doesn't stock the one I used to have lol.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    There's a big difference between weight loss and health. You absolutely, undoubtedly could lose weight eating nothing but frozen meals. But, it wouldn't be healthful if that's all you ate.

Why not? What if I had frozen vegetables with a frozen entree every day that hit all of my calorie and macro goals? Would that be unhealthy? Why?
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    I drink a diet soda at lunch every day, and eat a microwave meal a couple of times per week, yet I still continue to lose weight.

I guess that I'm a medical anomaly, or something.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Nutrisystem is gonna be pissed...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    blame it on the microwave, sure....

Thread should go places.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    Probably the same for a lot of people, but the article is disingenuous with it's conclusion since a lot of the "studies" were on mice and no mention of actual dosage used in the emulsifiers was displayed. I would urge you to look more at peer reviewed clinical studies, then just ones that are biased towards a certain "lifestyle" (I recall NATURE being one of the study sources).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png