Seriously upped cardio = weight gain

Options
Think I've got my head round this now but wanted other peoples view on this. Been maintaining for about 8 months within a 3-4 llb range. For the last couple of weeks I've gone from doing 10k on excersise bike each morning and light weights every other day to doing same but adding in another minimum 10 miles each day on roads including hills. Anyway my weight temporary increased out of my range but is steadily falling and I'm now back in my range if that makes sense. Would be interested to hear other peoples experience on this :)

Replies

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when you change your excercise or increase your level of activity it can take a while for your body to adjust to it. As long as your diet is in check, the weight gain should only be temporary.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Retaining water for muscle repair.

Happens anytime you do different activity or you increase it, etc.
    It's temporary and will go back down.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    endurance/cardio training can add a confusing twist to your weight. First of all it isn't fat that is causing the weight changes. It is an adaption your muscles are making to burn fat better. If you train for endurance Your muscles store energy in the form of sugars...these sugars are bonded with a gazillion water molecules. when you exercise the water is released. Your muscles are also building mitocondria which help you burn fat more efficiently...(yay!)

The only way I have found to overide this a combination of the following:
    1. get enough sleep
    2. reduce carbs
    3. do High intensity intervals to burn the stored carbs in my muscles
    4. follow the high intensity training with activity that is primarily fat burning...walking, housework, recovery pace liesure cycling
  • VickiLogan11
    VickiLogan11 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thankyou. I panicked at first lol but felt better in my clothes so guessed it wasn't fat weight even though I have increased calories and got a bit lax with logging. Muscles are getting a bit more defined also so am happy with the outcome. Thankyou for your helpful replies :)
  • JasonH_DFW
    JasonH_DFW Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You're body will adapt to any stimuli metabolically. Its best to shift back and forth between "exercises more/eat more" and "eat less/do less".
  • VickiLogan11
    Options
    How often jhitt ?
    Thanks
  • jukyu
    jukyu Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Few things:
    1. Your body reacts to stress by suppressing T3. When T3 is suppressed, your body starts storing fat. Cardio=stress.
    2. Your body adapts to chronic cardio by becoming more efficient. More efficient=fewer calories burned.
    3. Chronic cardio is catabolic. Less muscle=lower metabolic rate, preferential fat storing.

Of course, time, frequency and intensity as well as diet are going to shift any of the above variables one degree or another. Anyway, to mitigate the damage, make sure you're training with resistance, periodizing your training/upping your intensity, and incorporating HIIT (sprints/bursts).

p.s. as a runner, I'll gladly take a beating from any fellow endurance athlete who cares to disagree, but the alarming number of skinny-fat runners I see at races illustrates my point. If you're a one-trick pony, it will show.
  • VickiLogan11
    Options
    Jukyu I appreciate your advise but it's all abit over my head I'm afraid. I just ride my bike lol. Should I be mixing things up then ? I do small weights for arms every 2 days. Thanks again
  • VickiLogan11
    Options
    Also what is skinny fat please ? I see this a lot on here
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I've seen the temporary gain after upping my cardio, too. But it drops off in the weeks following.
  • r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    skinny fat is where you lose weight without muscle training, and thus have no muscle mass though your body weight is lower. Typically "skinny fat" people get to the body weight they had in mind but are then disappointed they don't look the way they want to, and continue more dieting with no muscle training...hence vicious cycle.
    Stop the cycle. Lift the heavy things!
  • VickiLogan11
    Options
    Thanks guys
    I think I have muscle but I don't lift heavy. I'm finding this very confusing lol. I may be skinny fat then ??? Oops
  • r5d5
    Options
    Unfortunately, probably. haha
    It takes work to make serious muscle gains. I mean, all humans have some muscle, but you might want to consider increasing your weight lifting to see a better body transformation. Or even find some videos online/youtube of how to do weight training in the home with your own body weight as resistance.
    I mean, there's nothing persay wrong with being skinny fat, it's just that most people don't it aesthetically pleasing even if their BMI is healthy.
  • VickiLogan11
    Options
    Thing is I don't know how to go about it r5. I don't want any bigger arm muscles but would like to tone up my thighs more haha.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    My physiotherapist has given me some exercises with a milk jug half-filled with water. The half-filled part is important because as it sloshes around, I have to work different core muscles to balance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s4OfkpRFcw
  • jgnatca
    Options
    HIIT routines are 10-20 minutes long. The goal is intensity. They are easy to fit in to a day.
    Also check out the New York Times seven minute workout.
  • VickiLogan11
    Options
    Thankyou jgnatca
  • jukyu
    jukyu Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Vicki, I apologize if my advice came across as though I was trying to go over your head...I just get exhausted from the anecdotal "well...that's not how it works, because this is what happened to ME" remarks I see on the MFP community. ;)

I agree with r5d5 about videos/youtube, great place to start just to learn technique and to build a basic routine. befit and fitnessblender are great channels, as is zgym (now subscription based).

• VickiLogan11
    Options
    Hey jukyu
    No apologies necessary I appreciate your help. But I am very new to this, ie so far I've
    Rode my bike daily ( indoor & outdoor variety )
    Done some regular small arm weight excersizes.
    Reduced calories and lost weight.
    Maintained weight.
    Upped cardio.
    Gained weight/gradually reduced weight.

Thing is after reading all comments I feel like I need a new goal but don't know where I go from here.

Thanks
    Vicki
  • r5d5
    Options
    I hope others give you some more advice! Check out the forums for similar questions. Some programs to look into are strong lifts 5X5, but there are many!
    And honestly, woman cant get "bulky" like men. You'd have to be on a really strict regime to get to the point. What you can expect by lifting weights is leaning out your body and reducing your body fat percentage. I assure you, it won't make you bulky! It will keep you lean :) But I understand having reservations, and not knowing where to start.

I hope you find the information you need and best wishes to you and your goals!