Seriously upped cardio = weight gain

2»

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Skinny fat is when you lose the weight you want, but you still have a proportionally high body fat %. When you lose weight, you lose both fat and lean body mass (especially when you try losing weight quickly and cut calories too much). By doing resistance training and getting sufficient protein, you can minimize the amount of lean body mass lost. You will look more "toned" when you have lower body fat % because you can see the muscle when there is less fat.

It is difficult for women to build muscle accidentally, so don't worry about getting bulky. If you ever do feel like you are too muscley (I know that's not a word...) then it is easy to eat more and put some more fat back on to soften the look.

My goal is "lower body fat %", I don't really care what the number on the scale is any more. It is quite a freeing concept to not have your mind bent about that stupid number that doesn't really mean anything.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Here is an article which might be of interest to you:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/final-nail-in-the-cardio-coffin
  • VickiLogan11
    VickiLogan11 Posts: 99 Member
    Very interesting article deksgrl.
    Given me some ideas of where to go next. Will need to digest this info :) Thankyou
  • cmschapp
    cmschapp Posts: 8
    Muscle and fat weigh the same. Muscle however does take up less room hence why you may not lose weight but you might lose inches. I love Holly Rigsby. She has a ton of workouts on her you tube channel and she also has a bunch of different workouts you can purchase. I did a search for body weight exercises on her youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/user/holidayjoi/search?query=bodyweight. I hardly do any long cardion any more. I do mostly kettlebell work and interval training. Hope this helps.
  • VickiLogan11
    Thankyou all.
    Loving the Holly Rigby workouts. I just need a baby now lol
  • VickiLogan11
    Think I've settled on the Holly Rigsby workouts :) I've found a timer app for HIIT so all good to go.
    Thanks for all the advise :)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,871 Member
    Interesting. Since I started with the C25K programme I've been losing weight again. I've been doing cardio before (swimming), but just walking at a brisk pace interrupted by short runs (week 4 starts today, if the rain stops) seems to burn more calories.