Food to bulk up

Options

Replies

• jasonbruce888
    jasonbruce888 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »

Dodge the salads mate if your bulking. Also google/read up on the difference between a clean bulk and a dirty bulk. I have been doing a clean bulk (about 200 cals per day over maintenance for just over a year. I have put on about 25lbs and my body fat has stayed roughly the same (15%). Good luck mate. You seem determined so I'm sure you will have success.

Never herd of /dirty/clean bulking I will have a read.

:)

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Brah, you seriously think it's possible to put on 14 pounds of muscle mass in time for summer?

eta: unless you're on tren or dan I think you're in for heartbreak.
  • jasonbruce888
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Brah, you seriously think it's possible to put on 14 pounds of muscle mass in time for summer?

Celebrities do it. :D

Im not going to be devastated if I don't make it. As long as I am seen progress I will be happy
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Word. Idk why people are even bothering giving him advice. His expectations are way out in left field already.

OP, You would be lucky to put on 5 lbs of muscle by June, if you did everything right (assuming you are a newbie and could attain newbie gains). You can't build muscle that quickly. Just doesn't happen. If you wanted to put on 14 lbs of muscle, you should have started lifting last August.
  • jasonbruce888
    Options
    Right ok so it can not be done in that time. Cheers for letting me know I am aiming way to high.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options

Im not going to be devastated if I don't make it. As long as I am seen progress I will be happy

Definitely keep that positive attitude mate. But, I think you would be surprised to know what celebrities might actually cycle for a few moths whilst preparing for a role. I'm not saying Mark Whalberg or Stallone etc do not work hard, but I think they can afford to safely pay for whatever it takes to get ready in a certain time period whilst being monitored by doctors.
  • jasonbruce888
    Options
    Yeah thats true. They don't have real jobs do they etc
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    if you are trying to bulk up, but don't know what macros are, and that vegetables are mostly carbs, you need to do more research
  • jasonbruce888
    Options
    Thats why I am here, to learn about what I should be looking into etc
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on 2800cals a day with over 300 carbs included. You can pretty much include ice cream, bagels, etc and don't be afraid of carbs. Carbs will help massively with strength gains and ultimately muscle mass although I agree that your goal is a bit too high lol Send FR and check out my diary for some ideas on food choices. Good luck!!!!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

you can try google too
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

There's also the potential for celebrities to be on 'roids too.
    You also don't know the amount of calories they're consuming/burning or their routines. They very may well be cutting so they look more shredded then normal.
    They also have trainers, nutritionists, chefs, etc at their beck & call.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Yeah thats true. They don't have real jobs do they etc

That's why i was saying unless you're on gear that it's not possible.

You can definitely gain some muscle mass and make some progress by eating in a caloric surplus and hypertrophy training, but it's not going to be anywhere near that much.

Matter of fact there is a maximum amount of muscle mass that your body can actually naturally attain (youll see people refer to this as "reaching their genetic limit" or "genetic potential").

While building up to that you can expect 8-12 pounds of muscle mass per YEAR in the first three years. Then this number will go down rapidly as you reach your limit.

According to Lyle McDonald

YEAR OF PROPER TRAINING

POTENTIAL MUSCLE GAINS
    1: 20-25 pounds
    2: 10-12 pounds
    3: 5-6 pounds
    4+: 2-3 pounds

You will also inevitably gain some fat in this process.

• slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I don't really like it, but Peanut butter is apparently a useful tool when bulking. Fairly nutrient and calories dense, not to filling and decent protein. Put it in shakes and on toast etc.
  • jasonbruce888
    Options

you can try google too

Googling lead me to this!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Read this: http://strengthunbound.com/bulking-complete-guide-for-beginners/

Then read the rest of his site.
  • jasonbruce888
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Read this: http://strengthunbound.com/bulking-complete-guide-for-beginners/

Then read the rest of his site.

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Just wanted to add that even the celebrities could not gain 14 lb of muscle by summer. Are you talking June or July? that's either 9 or 13 weeks - no amount of gear would even give those returns.

You should be able to gain 2lb of muscle per month (this comes with 2 lb of fat too as you would need to aim for 1 lb a week gain for optimal results), if your diet and training is on point.
  • jasonbruce888
    Options
    That was more of a joke comment about the celebrities, you always see the before and after pics of a massive transformation in about x months that don't explain it.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, you won't need to gain that much muscle to actually start noticing a difference. A few lbs goes a long way :)

Have a good nosy at @AliceDark's link, above. That's a great site.