Food to bulk up

Options

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You seem confused about macros/micros so let me give you a simplistic idea of how this all works.

All food is made up of Macro and micronutrients. Macronutrients (which make up the majority of the item) are Carbs, proteins, and fats. Micronutrients are the minerals and vitamins found in trace amounts.

When you eat, the food is assimilated into carbs, proteins, fats, and nutrients. Anything that cannot be absorbed by the body (like fiber) is expelled with the waste.

All macronutrients have calories.
    Carbs= 4 calories per gram
    protein= 4 calories per gram
    fat= 9 calories per gram

Your body needs excess CALORIES to gain. Your body needs less CALORIES to lose. What makes up those calories is macronutrients.

What makes people fat is not one macronutrient (aka fat or carbs) but an excess of TOTAL calories.

calories are a unit of energy. so total energy is what's important. we all good so far?

Okay, so, generally it is suggested to have 1g of protein per pound of LBM. What's your lean body mass (lbm)? It's the bone, muscle, tissue, etc. on your body WITHOUT fat. To find this you need to know your body fat %. Ex. I weigh 150 pounds. My body fat % is 10%. This means my lean body mass is 135 pounds. 15 pounds on my body are fat.

So, in the above case you would need minimum 135g of protein per day.

I actually choose to split my macros as 40% carbs 30% protein and 30% fat. This allows me to get my protein requirements, eat enough carbs to have energy, and enough fat to be full without getting hungry throughout the day.

So, let's say your diet is 2,000 calories. If you had your macros on a 40/30/30 split it means you'd be eating the following.

200g carbs= 800 calories from carbohydrates
    150g protein= 600 calories from protein
    66.6g fat= 600 calories from fat

make sense?

As long as you are hitting your protein goal, adjust the carb and fat balance according to what works best for you. If you're starving, add more fat. If you want to eat more veggies/rice/pasta add more carbs.

Let me know if theres something specific you still have questions on. Also, now i'm curious what kind of workout plan you're on... teehee.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Read this: http://strengthunbound.com/bulking-complete-guide-for-beginners/

Then read the rest of his site.

This domain is parked with godaddy. I wonder if he's in the process of transferring to another host or is making major changes to the site? I dont think it's expired. weird.
  • jasonbruce888
    jasonbruce888 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Rainbow, great explanation.

My workout plan I think is good for what I need.

I am lifting heavy for 2-3 sets of 8 an every time on the last rep I am lifting heavier so I am really struggling but can manage to get between 6-8 sets. Which is working I have been doing this for about 4 weeks and can see a difference.

But the difference is more toning than building muscle
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Rainbow, great explanation.

My workout plan I think is good for what I need.

I am lifting heavy for 2-3 sets of 8 an every time on the last rep I am lifting heavier so I am really struggling but can manage to get between 6-8 sets. Which is working I have been doing this for about 4 weeks and can see a difference.

But the difference is more toning than building muscle

Okay, good.

Generally the following are the rep ranges

1-5 reps is strength
    8-12 reps is hypertrophy
    15+ is endurance

I was just curious what kind of plan you are doing. If it was one that focused on compound lifts like deadlifts, squats, bench, rows, etc. or if you were doing isolation exercises.

I personally know a lot of guys who kinda do their own thing but miss out on big muscle groups. Then they look all wonky because they haven't trained certain muscles at all, or they have terrible posture because they're training isn't balanced.

As long as you're happy with what you're doing that's all thats good. :)
  • jasonbruce888
    Options
    Deadlifts, I am not that good at, I can do them but I tend to arch back a bit too much I think.

Other than that I do tend to focus on squats, bench, rows etc
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts, I am not that good at, I can do them but I tend to arch back a bit too much I think.

Other than that I do tend to focus on squats, bench, rows etc

drop weight and work on form.
    form first, ego second.
  • jasonbruce888
    Options
    Aye, thats why I don't do too heavy with the dead lift until I am sure what I am doing
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    Aye, thats why I don't do too heavy with the dead lift until I am sure what I am doing
    if you're arching your back, then you don't know what you're doing.
    again, drop weight and fix your form.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

I think the hardest thing for men is sticking their *kitten* out. haha, my boyfriend wouldn't stop complaining about it when he first started lifting. like "it doesnt feel natural" and "i feel exposed".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyJbvWAh6ec

You need back straight, chest up, head up, and butt out. ;)
  • Markdjones83
    Markdjones83 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I actually have a question on the link that was posted. I just started SL 5x5 about a month ago and it is saying to wait closer to 3 months to get really efficient bulking. So, should I just eat at a maintenance till closer to the 3 month mark? I did just finish 1 around of Insanity MAX:30 and will be starting another 2 month round along with SL 5x5 .

Recommendations?
  • Markdjones83
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

I think the hardest thing for men is sticking their *kitten* out. haha, my boyfriend wouldn't stop complaining about it when he first started lifting. like "it doesnt feel natural" and "i feel exposed".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyJbvWAh6ec

You need back straight, chest up, head up, and butt out. ;)

Thanks for the link I think I need to work a little more on my technique with my legs
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    I actually have a question on the link that was posted. I just started SL 5x5 about a month ago and it is saying to wait closer to 3 months to get really efficient bulking. So, should I just eat at a maintenance till closer to the 3 month mark? I did just finish 1 around of Insanity MAX:30 and will be starting another 2 month round along with SL 5x5 .

Recommendations?

I wouldn't continue with Insanity while doing Stronglifts. You probably won't have adequate recovery, especially when the weights start getting heavier for SL.

Are you eating at maintenance now? Or a slight deficit (like TDEE-5%)? Larger deficit (like TDEE-15%)?
  • Markdjones83
    Options
    I just started maintenance a couple weeks ago. Only doing workout 3 times a week just isn't enough for me though. So, recommend just some light cardio in between?
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    I just started maintenance a couple weeks ago. Only doing workout 3 times a week just isn't enough for me though. So, recommend just some light cardio in between?

Personally, I'd stick to maintenance calories for at least the next few months to figure out what my "true" maintenance was. And continue lifting at maintenance until I was unable to improve on the lifts - at least one deload cycle per Medhi's written plan on failure.

You don't HAVE to bulk if you don't want to. And I hope the guys hope in here soon since they're better at the starting bulk advice than I am. Since you *just* started lifting and maintenance, it's probably best to lift for a least a few months prior to bulking but I've never had to hit that stage yet lol.
    Calling @jorocka @mrm27, ndj! (i forget his numbers lol) @wheelhouse15 @lolbroscience @usmcmp are the users off the top of my head I'd totally take bulking and lifting advice from, both usmc &Lolbro have helped me loads.

What do you mean it isn't enough for you? As in you get bored/antsy?
    I'd do cardio, running/biking/hiking/prancercizing/etc - whatever floats your boat
  • Markdjones83
    Options
    Yes, I get bored and need something to fill my time. I get anxiety and it helps with it when I'm doing some activity. Even just getting to the gym and doing elliptical or something!

I'll stick with maintenance and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Options
    Yes, I get bored and need something to fill my time. I get anxiety and it helps with it when I'm doing some activity. Even just getting to the gym and doing elliptical or something!

It's getting nicer outside (in most places), so take up an outdoor activity. The vitamin D from sun exposure and physical activity can reduce anxiety. Don't forget that the added activity will increase your TDEE, so you may need more as you maintain.
  • Markdjones83
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

It's getting nicer outside (in most places), so take up an outdoor activity. The vitamin D from sun exposure and physical activity can reduce anxiety. Don't forget that the added activity will increase your TDEE, so you may need more as you maintain.

I do play on 2 indoor soccer teams so there is that, but I have 2 kids I have a few days out of week so I do try and get out with them.

I am not doing TDEE I am just setting it using MFP, is this accurate enough?

To the other post: I have never bulked before and I only lost like 10 lbs over the last 6 months. I've always been pretty skinny. So, now i want to build some muscle and get that more defined look instead of just skinny guy. I really only got into the fitness stuff in last 6 months so I'm pretty new to the whole thing.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I would say eat at maintenance. You can keep outdoor activities and cardio in as well, especially if it makes you happy. Just make sure that you're eating enough to fuel performance.
  • freefallebby
    freefallebby Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    As a female I aim to gain 1-2 lbs per month. I gained exactly 10 lbs in 9 months this bulk, wasn't tracking and guesstimate now that I am tracking again that I was gaining on 2700-3200 per day before I started this cut. I felt like I was eating boat loads of food all the dang time.

I ate a lot of pancakes with the fixings in various types (Pinterest is the evil pancake idea creating paradise) muahahaha. You can add protein, fruit etc, to them and then also make "fluff" as we call it with greek yogurt on top as well. Then there is the good old eat heaps of cereal and whole milk trick... and the 2 ice cream outings per week... Oh and donuts. Let's not forget about apples sliced up and peanut butter spread on top with a drizzle of honey... as well as whole eggs fried in coconut oil with fig jam or ketchup... fuark, twas a good bulk indeed. :wink: