Does strength training = gaining weight (in muscle)?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Just to clarify for everyone who's been saying "he" I'm a girl haha.

That being said, I think females build muscle differently than males? Because I hear girls on my team worry about getting really "big" (meaning muscular like a guy) all the time. Similarly, my ultimate goal is to be toned. Toned in a "runner's way" if that makes sense. I want to gain strength in my arms and core, and if that also means gaining muscle and gaining (or losing) a bit of weight, that sounds great to me.

Thank you all for the help so far. I honestly was not expecting people to respond to my question so much, and I greatly appreciate the help that each of you has offered. I'll be happy to clarify anything farther or answer any questions relating to my goals/original post.
    No they build the same as with males. Just slower.

Waaaaaaayyyyyyyyy slower. Outside of really frackin' kick *kitten* genetics of course...for which I do know someone...but only one in all of the females I know.
  • XC_Guitar17
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »

That being said, I think females build muscle differently than males? Because I hear girls on my team worry about getting really "big" (meaning muscular like a guy) all the time. Similarly, my ultimate goal is to be toned. Toned in a "runner's way" if that makes sense. I want to gain strength in my arms and core, and if that also means gaining muscle and gaining (or losing) a bit of weight, that sounds great to me.

Thank you all for the help so far. I honestly was not expecting people to respond to my question so much, and I greatly appreciate the help that each of you has offered. I'll be happy to clarify anything farther or answer any questions relating to my goals/original post.
    No they build the same as with males. Just slower.

Waaaaaaayyyyyyyyy slower. Outside of really frackin' kick *kitten* genetics of course...for which I do know someone...but only one in all of the females I know.

I guess patience, persistent strength training, and getting enough protein are what I need to reach my goals then?
  • XC_Guitar17
    Options
    Also, do I need to eat right at my recommended daily calorie and protien intake if I want to build muscle/strength, or eat at a calorie/protein surplus? From what you guys are saying it sounds like I need a surplus but I'm just clarifying.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Also, do I need to eat right at my recommended daily calorie and protien intake if I want to build muscle/strength, or eat at a calorie/protein surplus? From what you guys are saying it sounds like I need a surplus but I'm just clarifying.
    Muscle gains don't come from nothing. To add muscle means you'll add weight. So small surplus is needed to build tissue and surpluses will add weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • junyanpeng
    Options
    I have a really busy schedule, what is the most productive way to gain weight?
  • XC_Guitar17
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Muscle gains don't come from nothing. To add muscle means you'll add weight. So small surplus is needed to build tissue and surpluses will add weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Cool. Thank you.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

:blush: sorry
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    junyanpeng wrote: »
    I have a really busy schedule, what is the most productive way to gain weight?
    If you're trying to add muscle, you have to put in the time. If you're just trying to gain weight, to gain it, you just eat more than you burn.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • 30mphmike
    30mphmike Posts: 28
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If you want to put on muscle it takes protein at the right time which is all the time- 10 grams every hour or 30 grams every three hours and try to stay in a positive calorie intake of at least 250 calories. I highly recommend 50 grams of casein (slow digesting protein before bed time. The rest is easy just lift weights until your happy with your progress then cut your calories to a deficit of 250 calories while keeping your protein in the 60% range of your total caloric intake and carbs under 15%. I do this every year and it works great..

Building muscle is 80% intake and 20% exercise!!

Muscle is dense so it does take up less space than fat but a pound of anything weighs the same as a pound of anything else.. I feel dumber for having to type this..lol.. Good luck
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    If you just want to build strength only (no mass, no weight), eat at maintenance and lift. If you want to build muscle mass and strength, eat at a surplus and lift.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    30mphmike wrote: »
    If you want to put on muscle it takes protein at the right time which is all the time- 10 grams every hour or 30 grams every three hours and try to stay in a positive calorie intake of at least 250 calories. I highly recommend 50 grams of casein (slow digesting protein before bed time. The rest is easy just lift weights until your happy with your progress then cut your calories to a deficit of 250 calories while keeping your protein in the 60% range of your total caloric intake and carbs under 15%. I do this every year and it works great..

Muscle is dense so it does take up less space than fat but a pound of anything weighs the same as a pound of anything else.. I feel dumber for having to type this..lol.. Good luck

So much WTF in this post.

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Many elite distance runners now train with weights. Of course, they don't want to build muscle because adding weight might slow them down. They don't gain weight (ie, muscle). They run too much for that. They don't have the excess calories.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    A
    3laine75 wrote: »
    I'm okay with gaining weight and toning up as long as I'm gaining mostly muscle. And I understand that muscle weighs more than fat, so by gaining muscle, I would gain some weight. That's cool. I just need "strength gains," as you (ndj1979) put it, and from what I understand, gaining strength means gaining muscle.

I hope that makes sense. And I may be totally wrong or I may be understanding your answer to my question wrong - like I said, I'm new to this strength training thing.

Thanks for the response by the way.
    muscle doesnt weigh more than fat,it weighs the same but the muscle takes up less space.gaining strength also does not always mean gaining muscle. I lift while in a deficit and I have gotten stronger but havent built much if any muscle.I have been lifting for almost 3 years, I have gained some muscle but a lot of that was from when I wasnt eating in a deficit.

It would be pleasing, to me at least, if we could keep this tired old argument over semantics out of the gaining section. You do understand that both statements are equally right and wrong, don't you?

It shows up on the main boards pretty frequently so there's plenty of opportunities to flog it death there, if you enjoy doing so.

OP simply wanted to know if he would gain weight (while eating at maintenance), he won't.

Agreed. It is commonly accepted that when people say muscle weighs more than fat, they mean the same volume of muscle weighs more than the same volume of fat. Adding in the extra words does add clarity but does not change the way most people understand it. Just as it is commonly understood that when you write "don't" you are writing a shorter form of "do not". It's informal. It is equally correct to say that muscle is denser than fat, i.e. 1 lb of muscle takes up less space than 1 lb of fat. Who cares which you say, unless you are writing a scientific paper?
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/natural-muscular-potential-women/

ETA: this is a link with an article summarising scientific research on body building in women. It has links to full articles too. Haven't read the whole thing but it says that in short, women can build muscles just as much as men. They synthesise proteins the same as men after exercise. The difference is that women have a different starting point so have a longer way to go.
  • XC_Guitar17
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    I'm okay with gaining weight and toning up as long as I'm gaining mostly muscle. And I understand that muscle weighs more than fat, so by gaining muscle, I would gain some weight. That's cool. I just need "strength gains," as you (ndj1979) put it, and from what I understand, gaining strength means gaining muscle.

I hope that makes sense. And I may be totally wrong or I may be understanding your answer to my question wrong - like I said, I'm new to this strength training thing.

Thanks for the response by the way.
    muscle doesnt weigh more than fat,it weighs the same but the muscle takes up less space.gaining strength also does not always mean gaining muscle. I lift while in a deficit and I have gotten stronger but havent built much if any muscle.I have been lifting for almost 3 years, I have gained some muscle but a lot of that was from when I wasnt eating in a deficit.

It would be pleasing, to me at least, if we could keep this tired old argument over semantics out of the gaining section. You do understand that both statements are equally right and wrong, don't you?

It shows up on the main boards pretty frequently so there's plenty of opportunities to flog it death there, if you enjoy doing so.

OP simply wanted to know if he would gain weight (while eating at maintenance), he won't.
    how about instead of rudely telling me where I should go to comment on things, because you dont like it,you skip over what I say/said? its a public forum and I have just as much right to post things as others do.

Then please stop being wrong. Muscle is denser than fat.
    where did I say that it wasnt more dense than fat? pretty sure I said it weighs the same but just takes up less space. how am I wrong in saying whats been proven?
    Because you can just as easily say that, given the same volume of material, the muscle weighs more. (A 1" cube of muscle weighs more than a 1" cube of fat). It's a non-argument that gets people all spun out around here. That's why nobody wants it introduced in the Gaining Weight forum.

Not a big deal. "Muscle ways more than fat" is just a piece of misinformation they taught me in high school health class, apparently. I didn't mean to start a big debate.
  • XC_Guitar17
    Options

:blush: sorry

No problem, the pic of my guitar before was kinda ambiguous.
  • XC_Guitar17
    Options
    If you just want to build strength only (no mass, no weight), eat at maintenance and lift. If you want to build muscle mass and strength, eat at a surplus and lift.

I want to build a little mass (to "look toned," I guess), but mostly strength. I understand the strength is more important whereas the wanting to look toned part (mass) is more from vanity.

So a little surplus and lift. Got it. Thank you so much! You made it sound so simple haha.
  • XC_Guitar17
    Options
    30mphmike wrote: »

Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately what I can do is limited by the lifting vs. running schedule given by my cross country/track coach and my equally limited funds and time as a college student. Also, I don't think I'm looking to gain as much strength as your training program would entail.

I still appreciate that you took the time to respond, though.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You can gain strength at a deficit, which is not the same as gaining muscle.

- You may be able to gain muscle at a deficit, depending on individual factors (leanness, gender, training routine, how long you have been training, size of deficit genetics etc).

- You can gain muscle at maintenance - its called recomp.

- You can gain muscle at a surplus.

The ease and speed of gaining muscle (and I use the term 'ease' loosely as its not easy) is hardest and slowest under the first and easiest and fastest (but still slow) under the last set of circumstances.

To gain muscle under any of the circumstances, you need to provide stimulus to the muscles - which means you need to have a routine that provides progressive loading in the appropriate volume and rep ranges, get enough protein and be patient. Its hard to gain muscle, and even harder for a female to gain any appreciable muscle as we lack the levels of testosterone that men do.