Does strength training = gaining weight (in muscle)?

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    30mphmike wrote: »
    If you want to put on muscle it takes protein at the right time which is all the time- 10 grams every hour or 30 grams every three hours and try to stay in a positive calorie intake of at least 250 calories. I highly recommend 50 grams of casein (slow digesting protein before bed time. The rest is easy just lift weights until your happy with your progress then cut your calories to a deficit of 250 calories while keeping your protein in the 60% range of your total caloric intake and carbs under 15%. I do this every year and it works great..

Building muscle is 80% intake and 20% exercise!!

Muscle is dense so it does take up less space than fat but a pound of anything weighs the same as a pound of anything else.. I feel dumber for having to type this..lol.. Good luck

You do not need to time your protein like that...at all.

You do not need to get 60% protein nor restrict your carbs to 15% on a cut.
  • XC_Guitar17
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    You can gain strength at a deficit, which is not the same as gaining muscle.

- You may be able to gain muscle at a deficit, depending on individual factors (leanness, gender, training routine, how long you have been training, size of deficit genetics etc).

- You can gain muscle at maintenance - its called recomp.

- You can gain muscle at a surplus.

The ease and speed of gaining muscle (and I use the term 'ease' loosely as its not easy) is hardest and slowest under the first and easiest and fastest (but still slow) under the last set of circumstances.

To gain muscle under any of the circumstances, you need to provide stimulus to the muscles - which means you need to have a routine that provides progressive loading in the appropriate volume and rep ranges, get enough protein and be patient. Its hard to gain muscle, and even harder for a female to gain any appreciable muscle as we lack the levels of testosterone that men do.

Awesome. You broke the process down in a way that made it very easy for me to understand. I asked my guy friends on the team how to build muscle and they basically said, "Uh, make sure you eat enough protein and lift" haha. So your response helped me understand what I need to do considerably better.

I'm gonna go with option #3. According to MFP over the past 5 days, I usually am right at maintenance intake or about 100-250 calories over (all of which is 90% healthy stuff . . . limited by the dining hall on my college campus of course).

Also, providing stimulus will not be a problem, seeing as I run 6 days a week for track in addition to 50 minute strength training workouts (arms/abs/legs) as part of a weight training class 2 times a week. And this past week I got a little excited and threw an extra ab workout (15 minutes after a 45 minute easy run) mid-week.

Thanks again for your wonderful response. Like I said, it was very helpful.
  • XC_Guitar17
    Options
    If you want to put on muscle it takes protein at the right time which is all the time- 10 grams every hour or 30 grams every three hours and try to stay in a positive calorie intake of at least 250 calories. I highly recommend 50 grams of casein (slow digesting protein before bed time. The rest is easy just lift weights until your happy with your progress then cut your calories to a deficit of 250 calories while keeping your protein in the 60% range of your total caloric intake and carbs under 15%. I do this every year and it works great..

Muscle is dense so it does take up less space than fat but a pound of anything weighs the same as a pound of anything else.. I feel dumber for having to type this..lol.. Good luck

You do not need to time your protein like that...at all.

You do not need to get 60% protein nor restrict your carbs to 15% on a cut.

Yeah. Don't worry, I don't have the money/time to take those suggestions anyway.

• Sarauk2sf
    Options

- You may be able to gain muscle at a deficit, depending on individual factors (leanness, gender, training routine, how long you have been training, size of deficit genetics etc).

The ease and speed of gaining muscle (and I use the term 'ease' loosely as its not easy) is hardest and slowest under the first and easiest and fastest (but still slow) under the last set of circumstances.

To gain muscle under any of the circumstances, you need to provide stimulus to the muscles - which means you need to have a routine that provides progressive loading in the appropriate volume and rep ranges, get enough protein and be patient. Its hard to gain muscle, and even harder for a female to gain any appreciable muscle as we lack the levels of testosterone that men do.

Awesome. You broke the process down in a way that made it very easy for me to understand. I asked my guy friends on the team how to build muscle and they basically said, "Uh, make sure you eat enough protein and lift" haha. So your response helped me understand what I need to do considerably better.

I'm gonna go with option #3. According to MFP over the past 5 days, I usually am right at maintenance intake or about 100-250 calories over (all of which is 90% healthy stuff . . . limited by the dining hall on my college campus of course).

Also, providing stimulus will not be a problem, seeing as I run 6 days a week for track in addition to 50 minute strength training workouts (arms/abs/legs) as part of a weight training class 2 times a week. And this past week I got a little excited and threw an extra ab workout (15 minutes after a 45 minute easy run) mid-week.

You are very welcome.

What rep ranges do you use with your lifting routine? Are you adding weight/reps as you progress? How much volume (sets and reps) are you doing for each major muscle group?

Generally (and there is some variance here depending on the muscle group and number of sets), the rep ranges for hypertrophy (muscle growth) are in the 8 - 15 rep range. When you start going much over that, its really endurance capacity you are gaining and not muscle. Too much under and its really strength that you are gaining (although there will likely also be some hypertrophy).

• XC_Guitar17
    Options

You are very welcome.

What rep ranges do you use with your lifting routine? Are you adding weight/reps as you progress? How much volume (sets and reps) are you doing for each major muscle group?

Generally (and there is some variance here depending on the muscle group and number of sets), the rep ranges for hypertrophy (muscle growth) are in the 8 - 15 rep range. When you start going much over that, its really endurance capacity you are gaining and not muscle. Too much under and its really strength that you are gaining (although there will likely also be some hypertrophy).

Right now I'm a total beginner so:

1. Rep ranges:
    - 10-15 with weights, 30-50 without weights (like most ab exercises/push ups/pull ups) and/or 1 minute to 2:00 for plank, side plank, and similar ab/arm exercises

2. Yes, I am adding weight as I progress. When we first started weight training for cross country, I could only use 5-10 pound weights because my arms were not used to holding up weight at all. Now, for most exercises, especially single arm exercises, I can use 15-20 pound weights. I still need to use 10 pound weights if I am raising weights above my head, though (to work my shoulders, etc. - we did some specific exercise involving this in weight training class on Thursday but I can't remember the name of the exercise - I think it was just called a shoulder raise?).

3. In class, we typically do 3-4 sets of 10 reps so far for anything involving weights or the specific machines in the gym that work certain muscle groups with weights. But I've only been in the class for a week (2 class sessions), so I know this number will increase as I get stronger. For ab exercises in class, we also follow the 3-4 sets of 10 reps guideline. But if I do an ab workout on my own, and I'm just focusing on abs and not anything else, I usually do 3 sets of 30-50 and/or 1:00-2:00.

• Sarauk2sf
    Options
    ^^does not sound unreasonable for where you currently are based on what you note. As you progress you may want to look into adding a little more in the way of 'bigger compounds' at lower reps - possibly as a third lifting day - but that really depends on your available time - your running schedule may preclude that. If its a class, it should include it, but you should also make sure you train back and posterior chain (lower back, butt and hamstrings) to keep things balanced.

As you are new to it, you should see strength gains pretty quickly as you get adapted to lifting.

• XC_Guitar17
    Options
    That sounds good. Thanks. We're almost done with school actually (semester ends at the end of April), so I'll have plenty of time this summer to hit the gym 2-3 times a week, which I think will supplement my summer training for cross country nicely.

I will definitely look into exercises for training my back. As a team, we were doing some stuff for our hamstrings and glutes (hypers, squats with 20 pound kettleballs, etc.) during our cross country weight training sessions before I started my class, so I can easily start re-incorporating some of those exercises back into my routine over the summer since I now know how to do them.
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »

So much WTF in this post.

^^^^^ I agree!! OP please don't listen to this! Any of it!! Just no!
  • XC_Guitar17
    Options
    stephxo1 wrote: »

^^^^^ I agree!! OP please don't listen to this! Any of it!! Just no!

Thanks! And don't worry, even with my limited knowledge, I could kinda tell just reading that post that the advice was a little overblown. I credit it to being in college, on top of being an English major - because I constantly have professors drilling "question everything" into my head haha.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

put me down for WTF for 500 ….
  • FatAsianNerd
    FatAsianNerd Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Muscles are incendiary fat burning furnaces. I tend to lose quite a bit of fat, and weight, simultaneously as I gain more lean mass.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Muscles are incendiary fat burning furnaces. I tend to lose quite a bit of fat, and weight, simultaneously as I gain more lean mass.

and wtf for 1000….
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Muscles are incendiary fat burning furnaces.

Wow!
    A whole 6cals per lb per day at rest - what a spectacular furnace that is.

[/sarcasm]
  • mike4502003
    Options
    She mentioned she runs cross country 6xs a week, don't you guys think that would be detrimental to her muscle gains? Considering while running long distance her body using protein as energy when turning catabolic? Just a thought, what you guys think?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    She mentioned she runs cross country 6xs a week, don't you guys think that would be detrimental to her muscle gains? Considering while running long distance her body using protein as energy when turning catabolic? Just a thought, what you guys think?

She wants to gain muscle to assist with her goals of cross country, at least that's the way I read it - so dropping running (or limiting it) would not be conducive to her goals. Long distance running is not ideal for muscle gains - but she will be at a slight surplus. It's generally high amounts of cardio and a large deficit that is the biggest issue.
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    People are still going to use the word "toning", it should be ok because you know what they mean, right? I will never stop using the word toning, although I say strength training as well. Hope nobody tries to re-teach me!
  • mike4502003
    Options

She wants to gain muscle to assist with her goals of cross country, at least that's the way I read it - so dropping running (or limiting it) would not be conducive to her goals. Long distance running is not ideal for muscle gains - but she will be at a slight surplus. It's generally high amounts of cardio and a large deficit that is the biggest issue.
    - That's how I understood it, achieving the best of both worlds at the same time is going to be very hard. .

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options

Timing is irrelevant. If one is in positive nitrogen balance, then they are anabolic (building). If one went 10 grams an hour and was awake 16 hours, that's only 160 grams of protein. For someone over 160lbs, nitrogen balance might be off at that rate.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Sarauk2sf
    Options

- That's how I understood it, achieving the best of both worlds at the same time is going to be very hard. .

Best of both worlds - yep. Possible to make progress in both however, also a yep (assuming a good routine, decent macro mix etc).