Liquid-y foods!

Options

Replies

• TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    What I do when I marinate chicken is to put the marinade in the recipe builder and then weigh it before I put the chicken in, and again after. As far as the number of servings I go by 1 serving as 100 grams. So if it makes 153 grams I put in that it makes 1.53 servings. Then if I weigh it and discover that I only used 102 grams and threw out the other 51, I can just enter 1.02 servings.

I'm going to apologize again for the butthurt I caused you on this post!
    I actually mis-read your reply and thought you entered all ingredients including the chicken in the recipe builder, then weighed the leftovers and did the math.

My bad!

I would link the lovely cookie gif back to you, but my talents don't extend that far!
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Legitimate question here, OP: how do you log the calorie count on prepackaged food, should you choose to eat it? I ask because those listed calories are estimates, and suggestions in-thread that you estimate would lead one to believe that "estimating" is insufficiently exact for your personal peace of mind.

you're assuming I'm nit-picking calories, which I'm not.
    estimates are great, but the point of one is that you are in the right ballpark.

I'm not quibbling over 5 calories, I'm quibbling over several hundred per serving.
    Why would your informed estimate, based on knowledge of the ingredient list, lead you to be off by "several hundred [calories] per serving?" I do not understand why the math would lead you that far astray.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'd make a topic of how to make cucumbers without 15 tons of sugar. But that's just me (feeling sorry for your poor sugared cucumbers)....
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Calorimeters are cool!

11thdr-fez-hp2.jpg
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    What I do when I marinate chicken is to put the marinade in the recipe builder and then weigh it before I put the chicken in, and again after. As far as the number of servings I go by 1 serving as 100 grams. So if it makes 153 grams I put in that it makes 1.53 servings. Then if I weigh it and discover that I only used 102 grams and threw out the other 51, I can just enter 1.02 servings.

I'm going to apologize again for the butthurt I caused you on this post!
    I actually mis-read your reply and thought you entered all ingredients including the chicken in the recipe builder, then weighed the leftovers and did the math.

My bad!

I would link the lovely cookie gif back to you, but my talents don't extend that far!

:laugh: I'm not really butthurt, just messing with you. It takes a bit more than that to get me riled up.

tumblr_mkuwkluaM81s4ocv9o2_250_zps00b61965.gif
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I love overcomplicating my food.

^This! yowza!!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Calorimeters are cool!

11thdr-fez-hp2.jpg

And now you're my favorite. ETA: Sorry, I'm out of food gifs.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Scratches head
  • TigressPat
    Options
    Legitimate question here, OP: how do you log the calorie count on prepackaged food, should you choose to eat it? I ask because those listed calories are estimates, and suggestions in-thread that you estimate would lead one to believe that "estimating" is insufficiently exact for your personal peace of mind.

you're assuming I'm nit-picking calories, which I'm not.
    estimates are great, but the point of one is that you are in the right ballpark.

I'm not quibbling over 5 calories, I'm quibbling over several hundred per serving.
    Why would your informed estimate, based on knowledge of the ingredient list, lead you to be off by "several hundred [calories] per serving?" I do not understand why the math would lead you that far astray.

because I do not know how much of the sugar (which is the high-calorie component of the recipe) is consumed.
    In terms of calorie content, the sugar is huge, but in terms of volume as eaten, you are mostly consuming the cucumbers (which are relatively low cal)
    I started the thread looking for suggestions on how to guesstimate this, and a few people have given me good ideas (thanks!)
  • TigressPat
    Options
    I'd make a topic of how to make cucumbers without 15 tons of sugar. But that's just me (feeling sorry for your poor sugared cucumbers)....

and this is why cucumber salad doesn't even exist in the database...
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything to add - sounds like you've got workable solutions there already - but I do want to sympathise. I'd really like to know the nutritional values of my homemade stock for instance, not just calories but if it's a stock made from meat bones, which it usually is, then it's probably got a significant protein count (good for my macros) and if was a ham bone then there's probably significant sodium (bad for my macros).

I do like to count my calories to the most accurate estimate I can reasonably manage, and I work to my macros too although not obsessively. I feel I end up having to just guess entries quite a lot anyway (eating things other people have home-cooked, or in restaurants which don't give nutritional info) so when it's my home prepared food and under my control I tend to want to know how to log it.

So good for you!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Pour the sugar solution back into something and evaporate the water, then weigh the remaining sugar. Or you could build a calorimeter and burn the remaining sauce to see how much energy it contained.

BAM!!! Calories counted!
  • TigressPat
    Options
    I don't have anything to add - sounds like you've got workable solutions there already - but I do want to sympathise. I'd really like to know the nutritional values of my homemade stock for instance, not just calories but if it's a stock made from meat bones, which it usually is, then it's probably got a significant protein count (good for my macros) and if was a ham bone then there's probably significant sodium (bad for my macros).

I do like to count my calories to the most accurate estimate I can reasonably manage, and I work to my macros too although not obsessively. I feel I end up having to just guess entries quite a lot anyway (eating things other people have home-cooked, or in restaurants which don't give nutritional info) so when it's my home prepared food and under my control I tend to want to know how to log it.

So good for you!

thank you!
    I guesstimate quite a lot, but with summer coming I really do eat a lot of salads, and the marinated ones perplex me because so much is leftover. If it was a one portion thing I would not worry.

I did get some great suggestions which had not occured to me (and which I will employ). for that I am grateful, though I did not expect the ****storm my post (and replies!) caused!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you for trying to be so accurate.

Personally I have never even thought about absorption of calories into something and calories left over in the liquid. I wouldn't even bother trying to work out the calories to that degree of accuracy.

I log the whole recipe and eat the amount that fits my calorie goal, if I go over by a hundred cals I am still at a slight deficit and if I overestimate how many calories I am consuming I will be at a slightly greater deficit so all good.

<Skips off to do something that doesn't involve math>
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Don't I get a cookie for explaining it better?? HAHA! j/k

Nope you stole my thunder. :angry:

:laugh: Just kidding. Swirling chocolate for you.

tumblr_mfwged4zN21s1zyafo1_500_zps0b622bca.gif

Thank you!, and I'm not logging this!
    hrngc3.gif
  • TigressPat
    Options
    Don't I get a cookie for explaining it better?? HAHA! j/k

Nope you stole my thunder. :angry:

:laugh: Just kidding. Swirling chocolate for you.

tumblr_mfwged4zN21s1zyafo1_500_zps0b622bca.gif

Thank you!, and I'm not logging this!
    hrngc3.gif

:laugh:
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    so maybe this is a stupid question, but I'm a bit stumped as to how to gauge the calorie content for foods with a lot of liquid.

and no, I don't mean soups etc, I mean foods in which you do not consume the liquid.

for example, bean salad.
    I don't eat or drink the liquid, so If i weigh it, should I weigh it after and subtract the liquid weight? Or is this already done in the calorie counters?

or even better, marinated cucumber salad.
    I make my own, with a large cucumber, onions, vinegar, and sugar.
    Now I'm sure someone will say "add it to the recipe counter"

but no, If you add it as a recipe you are counting the huge amount of calories for the 1/4 cup sugar that goes in.
    sure, some of that you consume, so you cannot log the salad as a cucumber, but surely you don't consume the entire caloric value of the sugar if you throw out all the liquid after eating the cucumber.

does this make sense to anyone?

has anyone found a solution to it?

thanks!

Most entries in the food database are user input...if you can't get an appropriate estimate for your homemade dish...why do you think other users can?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

better than most replies, but I still do not think that would be accurate, as what you are consuming is not an amalgamation of all the parts, which is what your method implies.

I just ignore the marinade when I make chicken breasts, but now you've added another variable to my list!

tumblr_m3r2c8XOtI1r8dw9z.jpg
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    being over paranoid isn't good.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Hey guise look what I found! Any ideas what I can put this in?!

cumber682_1129835a.jpg