Bikram Yoga

Options
Have any of you tried it? Actively going? I use to do it a few years ago. I loved the results, but HATED going. I hear you're supposed to do exercises you enjoy. I don't particularly enjoy Bikram, but I'm thinking of going again so I can achieve my desired goals. Maybe if I do not think of it as torture, all will go well. :-)

Replies

• suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Did you hate the moves, or where it was? I love my pilates because of the people in the class...sometimes I hate the moves and get really cranky, especially after 30 minutes of various planks! BUT...the people in the class motivate me to return. Maybe you can sign up for something with a friend?
  • spin6164
    spin6164 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I went in Feb March in 2013 after I finished physical therapy on my left knee and I started couch to 5K. I found it helped my knee alot and after a month of doing it the flab on my belly started to disappear and my digestion improved.I moved away for a year and I just started back up. I like it. It calms me and its a LOT harder than it looks. I am frustrated though that this app doesnt have a calculation for it. Everytime I go I just add 300-330 calories cuz theres such a debate online about how much you actually expend each class. I'd say if you were starting it for the first time at least go 3 times a week to get used to the heat (it does take a while) and give it at least a week or two to mentally get used to the idea of Yoga. I know some people think its just hokey spiritualist kinda thing. But I've found it helps when my knee aches, it makes me calmer, and helps my digestion.
  • bc119
    bc119 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Agarland34, it is totally a love-hate relationship, I'm with you on that! I started doing Bikram/hot yoga in 2006 or 2007 but I've never been able to stick with it consistently. I've always been on-and-off with it. Once did a 30-day challenge in 2009 and felt amazing after it but then I didn't go back for like a year, lol. The classes are 90 minutes at the studio I go to so with factoring in driving to/from it takes up almost an entire evening which was one aspect I did not like. Perhaps I could try a condensed 60-min version and it wouldn't be as bad. Good luck if you decide to do it again! :-)
  • Agarland34
    Agarland34 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    Did you hate the moves, or where it was? I love my pilates because of the people in the class...sometimes I hate the moves and get really cranky, especially after 30 minutes of various planks! BUT...the people in the class motivate me to return. Maybe you can sign up for something with a friend?

Suruda, you aren't allowed to talk in the class, and most people are just happy to still be alive after the class, that they just want to go home....lol. The room is heated to 100 degrees, and all I can think about is....lord, please let me finish this 90 minutes without passing out, or keeling over. It's HARD!!! But, it's great at the same time. You'd have to try it to really appreciate my dilemma. :-) thank you!!!
  • Agarland34
    Options
    I've done it 5-8 times a week for a year now, LOVE IT!

OMG, is that a typo?? 5-8 times a week??? If I can do 3/wk, I'm good. Kudos to you!!!
  • Agarland34
    Options
    spin6164 wrote: »
    I went in Feb March in 2013 after I finished physical therapy on my left knee and I started couch to 5K. I found it helped my knee alot and after a month of doing it the flab on my belly started to disappear and my digestion improved.I moved away for a year and I just started back up. I like it. It calms me and its a LOT harder than it looks. I am frustrated though that this app doesnt have a calculation for it. Everytime I go I just add 300-330 calories cuz theres such a debate online about how much you actually expend each class. I'd say if you were starting it for the first time at least go 3 times a week to get used to the heat (it does take a while) and give it at least a week or two to mentally get used to the idea of Yoga. I know some people think its just hokey spiritualist kinda thing. But I've found it helps when my knee aches, it makes me calmer, and helps my digestion.

You're right, I tell people to go atleast 3 days/wk, minimum. I love yoga, it's Bikram yoga that I have a love hate relationship with...lol. Thanks!!
  • Agarland34
    Options
    bc119 wrote: »
    Agarland34, it is totally a love-hate relationship, I'm with you on that! I started doing Bikram/hot yoga in 2006 or 2007 but I've never been able to stick with it consistently. I've always been on-and-off with it. Once did a 30-day challenge in 2009 and felt amazing after it but then I didn't go back for like a year, lol. The classes are 90 minutes at the studio I go to so with factoring in driving to/from it takes up almost an entire evening which was one aspect I did not like. Perhaps I could try a condensed 60-min version and it wouldn't be as bad. Good luck if you decide to do it again! :-)

You TOTALLY feel my pain. It is a love hate relationship with Bikram. It's crazy, but I have to mentally prepare myself to go because I hate it so much. Yet, I feel so accomplished when I go, and I loveeeee the results. All Bikram classes are suppose to be 90 minutes. Anything less is supposedly, insufficient.

Thank you, I plan to start in April, I just have to mentally get ready!!! :-)
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Any exercise type has elements of discomfort. I love the results I get from Bikram yoga, not necessarily sweating like a pig revealing how bad my hip mobility is.

Exercise is like any relationship, it has ups and downs. You'll be disappointed if you expect to enjoy every moment of any workout session.
  • Agarland34
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    Any exercise type has elements of discomfort. I love the results I get from Bikram yoga, not necessarily sweating like a pig revealing how bad my hip mobility is.

Exercise is like any relationship, it has ups and downs. You'll be disappointed if you expect to enjoy every moment of any workout session.

I agree related to all exercises and discomfort, there's just something about doing Bikram that gives me an extra dose of anxiety. :-)
  • DarbiB
    DarbiB Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit like you, I sort of hate yoga. But in 2013 I tore my rotator cuff, and as part of my post-PT, I was told to do it.

I wouldn't say I've been consistant, but when I'm ON, it's amazing. I don't get twinges in my shoulder and all of my other workouts are better. My digestion is great too with hot yoga.

I just make myself go 1x a week with a friend. I wear fun workout outfits, and my reward for those 90 minutes are how I feel the next day!
  • lioness2307
    lioness2307 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Agarland34 wrote: »
    Have any of you tried it? Actively going? I use to do it a few years ago. I loved the results, but HATED going. I hear you're supposed to do exercises you enjoy. I don't particularly enjoy Bikram, but I'm thinking of going again so I can achieve my desired goals. Maybe if I do not think of it as torture, all will go well. :-)

YES! I know what you mean. I find Bikram Yoga one of the MOST BORING yoga styles out there. It's the same bloody 26 whatever postures. Every time. It never changes. And to think that the guy who "invented" it made millions off the same old routine....
    Quite frankly, my mind just switches off when I go to Bikram for a few times.

My solution was to find a studio that offers a different type of "hot" yoga, which includes normal Ashtanga/Hatha series as well as Pilates classes in a room that's still warm, but not as hot as with the yoga classes.
    I only go twice a week, and switch between the different styles so as not to get bored.

My real fitness solution: dance. That has helped tone me up a lot, and with good teachers, the music changes as do the choreographies so you never get bored and your body AND mind get a good work-out. ;)

• etaylor704
    etaylor704 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I love hot yoga. I've only done it a hand full of times. I went to bikrams twice and it seemed boring...which is odd because it's yoga lol. I think the people just seemed really stuffy.the instructors and people at seven hot yoga was really cool and it would change up
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

YES! I know what you mean. I find Bikram Yoga one of the MOST BORING yoga styles out there. It's the same bloody 26 whatever postures. Every time. It never changes. And to think that the guy who "invented" it made millions off the same old routine....
    Quite frankly, my mind just switches off when I go to Bikram for a few times.

My solution was to find a studio that offers a different type of "hot" yoga, which includes normal Ashtanga/Hatha series as well as Pilates classes in a room that's still warm, but not as hot as with the yoga classes.
    I only go twice a week, and switch between the different styles so as not to get bored.

My real fitness solution: dance. That has helped tone me up a lot, and with good teachers, the music changes as do the choreographies so you never get bored and your body AND mind get a good work-out. ;)
    That's part of the point of it.

• sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I agree related to all exercises and discomfort, there's just something about doing Bikram that gives me an extra dose of anxiety. :-)
    I tried it once and felt sick (I was also newly pregnant and didn't know at the time) but I know that I don't care for bikram pregnant or not. I've done all other types of yoga for about 18 years now and really enjoy it, all forms except bikram. If yoga is giving you anxiety then you're doing it wrong. Anxiety is like the opposite of yoga ;)
  • RoxRocksMySocks
    RoxRocksMySocks Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was going regularly about a year ago and I too have a love hate relationship with it. Everytime I entered the studio I'd think "why am I doing this to myself again?" But after class I'd be so relaxed and I started to see some changes in my fitness level. I'm thinking about going back as well!
  • Agarland34
    Options
    I was going regularly about a year ago and I too have a love hate relationship with it. Everytime I entered the studio I'd think "why am I doing this to myself again?" But after class I'd be so relaxed and I started to see some changes in my fitness level. I'm thinking about going back as well!

Lmbo, Rox, you hit the nail right on the head. Every time I go to Bikram, I ask, why am I doing this to myself. It's like self TORTURE!!! But I love how I feel afterwards.

Glad to know I'm not the only person who feels this way. I have a gf who went and she became so toned and tightened that it looked like she had plastic surgery. That's all I needed to see to get me going. Also, I have to start hydrating a week in advance whenever I start back up. If I'm not on fluid overload, I get sick in there.....ughhhh. Lol
  • Agarland34
    Options
    Rox, I'm mentally preparing myself to start back up in April.
  • Agarland34
    Options
    sistrsprkl wrote: »
    I tried it once and felt sick (I was also newly pregnant and didn't know at the time) but I know that I don't care for bikram pregnant or not. I've done all other types of yoga for about 18 years now and really enjoy it, all forms except bikram. If yoga is giving you anxiety then you're doing it wrong. Anxiety is like the opposite of yoga ;)

Lol, you're right about anxiety and yoga.....
  • ckwebgrrl
    ckwebgrrl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love Bikrams/hot yoga. I'm jealous you have one nearby! As other have said, it's hard to find time for a 90 min workout + commute time. I felt fantasic when I was doing it regularly. Hope it works out for you!
  • taraaaxo
    taraaaxo Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm a huge yoga nut, having taught different types of yoga as well as attending plenty of classes, I find bikram the most boring lol, the one you should try is Moksha its a variation of bikram but with more motions. It has always gotten glowing reviews from people i know who have taken it! :)