Can I petition MFP users to use the terms "more ideal" and "less ideal" instead of good/bad foods?

Options
_John_
_John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
I think a simple changing of wording will make everyone happy and fit inside everyone's safety box...

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I prefer "yummy" and "more yummy" to be honest.
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    I've seen "fun food". That seems pretty accurate and doesn't start a major rage fest.
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Good advice. Also when comparing foods, it could be helpful to offer one as a "better choice" over something else.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    @_John_
    I'm pretty offended by your use of the word safety box. Let me tell you, being in an alternative lifestyle relationship, there is no safety in boxes.

Also it could be confused with slang for female anatomy. :(
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Good luck. :flowerforyou:

ETA: Also, apparently dirt food exists, and I'm an idiot for not knowing what the hell it means...
  • clipartghost
    clipartghost Posts: 32 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    That implies that certain foods are better than other foods though, which is the entire idea that spawned that mess.

I think just changing the wording to something more specific would work much better. "In the context of the rest of your diet, [food1] would be a better choice than [food2]."

@auddii: Dirt food is what you have before you wash your spinach, of course.
  • _John_
    Options
    well, by nature, a food as vile as say raw kale is MUCH more likely to be needed in someone's overall diet than say white bread, which has FAR less micronutrition for the calories.
  • _John_
    Options
    however if someone ate say 5 cups of raw kale, then they would likely benefit by eating the white bread for the rest of their carbs as it would decrease the bulk in their diet as they would have gotten most of the micronutrition one needs from carbs (if not too much) in that 5 cups.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I usually say "foods that are traditionally thought of as 'healthy'" because most people can figure out what that means. Anyone who claims they can't is being disingenuous and just trying to start a fight IMO.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    What would we argue about?
  • _John_
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »

dunno. but I'm running out of popcorn for watching that other thread.

It's all a philosophical battle over whether "we'd" like someone to think exclusionary about food or inclusionary...
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    Sugarbeat wrote: »

dunno. but I'm running out of popcorn for watching that other thread.

It's all a philosophical battle over whether "we'd" like someone to think exclusionary about food or inclusionary...

Is there butter on your popcorn? Because I'd like to suggest plain popcorn, which is more ideal.

Or, you could switch to something more nutrient dense, like kale!
  • _John_
    Options
    I need fat though. so I chose to butter my popcorn and eat less of it to make it fit my macros. Popcorn still helps me hit my fiber goal...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I prefer angelic and evil. With no in between. It has to be one or the other. o:) or >:)
  • _John_
    Options
    well, in the context of an otherwise total lack of calories, EVERY food is good food...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    well, in the context of an otherwise total lack of calories, EVERY food is good food...

And in the context of overeating, EVERY food is bad food.

There is no win.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I think a simple changing of wording will make everyone happy and fit inside everyone's safety box...

no, because there are arguably no bad foods. There are no less ideal foods.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options

no, because there are arguably no bad foods. There are no less ideal foods.

Arguably, yes, definitively, no. You can argue against anything, doesn't mean you're correct.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    MB_Positif wrote: »
    I prefer "yummy" and "more yummy" to be honest.

Word.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Can i petition MFP users to be less sensitive about the way others describe food? And also let people have their opinions? 'Cause it's not that serious.