Options

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Merkavar wrote: »

I don't want to sound mean but decimal points are like primary school stuff.

I could understand if your European and using a american scale.

TLDR: Let's get over ourselves.

Okay, so now, on to the show:

*snipped because people seemingly don't like lots of words*

Well said LAWoman. I'm in agreement with everything. I actually used to a terrible grammar nazi, then it turned out that my youngest girl had quite severe dyslexia. She is not stupid by any means, heck on her visual reasoning and pattern recognition she was completing tests for 16 yr olds at the age of 8. She is incredibly smart in her own little areas...

But spelling 'station'? Not a chance. She's only recently grasped the complexities of 'd' and 'b' being different.

Sometimes we need something we can relate to in order to have a little more compassion and understanding.

I used to think I was very bright. I don't know why; I wasn't an above-average student or anything. So who knows what the hell I was thinking.

Then I was IQ tested. I am very very average. As in, directly in the middle of average.

And then...I had an intellectually delayed son. He is leagues above most "very bright" people I know in so many more ways than I could have imagined.

Now I don't flounce around correcting people anymore. I only do it when someone acts like a bit of an azzhat - ie. corrects someone incorrectly, LOL. Then the gloves come off. ;) That cowshyte just rankles me now. THAT I can do...and so can many others, particularly on Teh Intrawebs, but it doesn't take much intelligence to do that. It just (I'll own this) takes nastiness, which I don't believe is in any short supply. But I think overall people just do it to feel better about themselves.

Sorry, I understand that dyslexia is not an intelligence thing, just saying I feel ya on children and additional needs. :) Hope you understand my intent.

OP, hope you got your answer somewhere in the middle of all this, LOL.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »

Merkevar, you know I like you a lot and I think you're hilarious and a great asset to this site.

With that in mind, hang in tight for what I'm about to say next, because I don't really want to say it, but it is sticking out like a sore thumb for me.

Do you not see the slightest bit of irony in the fact that you just admonished someone for not having an elementary school-level skill...while incorrectly using the word "you're," something my son was tested on early in the school year and expected to pass? He's currently in the third grade, by the way. (And yes, he passed.)

Psst: Also, it's "an," not "a," "American site." (Capital A.) Other things my third-grader would be marked down on and probably ashamed of.

This little guy daydreams about what's beyond the cosmos, asks me what "nothing" looks like and if it's all dark, isn't dark black, and isn't black something?, reads junior high school level books and this past week informed me that his favorite pasta was "the cylindrical kind...I can't remember what that's called", sucks...and I mean SUCKS at math.

My husband sticks out like sore thumb around here. He is truly, almost frighteningly good at math...at all aspects, all categories of math. We jokingly call him Rain Man and chant "82, 82, 82" whenever he tells us that today we're 62% closer to going away on vacation than we were last Wednesday (or whatever strange math he quick-jobs up in his head at any given moment). When we first moved to SoCal, he gave me his resume to edit. School: USC...not too shabby. Best of educations. One of many corrections I made was where he stated he was on the Honor Role. God that would have been embarrassing. Overall, his IQ was, as of last (officially-administered...not via some silly internet site) count, 149. Not shabby either, IMO. I doubt his inability to spell quite a few words (don't tell him I said that) makes him thick as a tree any more than my lack of math skills makes me thick as a tree. I mean come on.

Honestly, not to hop on my very high horse but can the holier-than-thou-meter go up any higher on this thread? ;)

We are ALL good at some things..and truly suckful at others. It's a fact of life.

If we're going to show our superiority, we might try to do so by not splashing our credibility right into the toilet with an elementary school-level faux pas or two, or three. (Or as an alternative, hey, how about this? I know it's a little crazy, but...how about we get over trying to make ourselves feel superior and understand that the next person probably ISN'T useless; indeed, isn't any more useless than we ourselves may be, at least if someone's keeping score?) Sure, it's an age-old and much-beloved lather-rinse-repeat to put down the next person in order to assure ourselves that we're not mainstream and dumb as stumps as opposed to all those other (nameless) people, but if you're going for accuracy, this attitude might not fly as much. Your choice, of course; each of us is a free agent.

As for all the tired "What is the world coming to" commentary, that's been bemoaned since Socrates' time and probably earlier. I notice we're all still here. A miracle, eh?

Let's get over it...no, poor math skills don't mean the doom of humanity and failure of the public school system any more, or less, than poor grammar skills do...or poor skills in any one arena. None of us likes to admit it...but we're all pretty average. And any of us could be embarrassed by something.

I suck at math. Truly, wholly suck at it. If you consider me dense as a box of rocks due to that, and if that supposition makes you feel better, I'll give you that, because in that case you probably need it. ;) The OP sucks at math too. That's about all we know about him. Have a good day, OP.

This is a lot of words to say "I don't understand basic math"

It would be, if that were all I was saying.

However, I'll give you a pass for not being able to hang in there with big sentences and so on. ;) As I said...we all have our strengths and weaknesses. So it's all good.

I suppose all those words for the sake of words do kind of throw me. I've never believed in taking a long time to say nothing much. As far as weaknesses go I'll take that over a failure of elementary math.

:flowerforyou:

And you're free to do so even though the entire future of our species seems to focus on communication of all types, but particularly of the written (typed) variety, as evidenced by the explosion of communication technology (which you're using right now); that's your prerogative. As for math, we have, well...calculators.

As for not liking saying "nothing much," I am aware of the dig but I admit it confuses me a little; I said quite a bit. You just weren't willing (able?) to take it in. But again, that's your choice. I'm not going to peg you as stupid (as many are pegging the OP) on just this one basic lack.

I edited what I said above as it came off very harsh; I am quite sure you must have your strengths, as everyone does.

By the way, the flower emoticon was unnecessary in light of the digs. ;) If you're annoyed with me, you are and that's fine. You can be and that's all right, trust me. (That's another one of those communication things.)

Hope everyone has a good night.

So. Many. Words.

To say nothing.

Does this help?

See.
    See Spot.
    See Spot...Oh, never mind, that's probably already too much to take in all at once. Probably should have just posted a kitty-cat gif.

Good night, flowers emoticon, etc. :) :flowers: :KittyCatGif:

See now, you're able to be condescending and insult my intelligence just like you accuse everyone else in this thread of doing without hiding in all those pointless words. Isn't that much simpler and yet just as effective (if not more so)?

There is hope for you yet, if you just keep working you'll he able to exude superiority without needing a bunch of words to make yourself look smart or thoughtful. Very promising.

Oh no, that wasn't condescension. It was simple nastiness. Condescension implies a degree of finesse; of "hiding" one's nastiness, if it were.

You don't seem to like finesse very much. I tossed you the nasty reply all your (attempted) jabs deserved. My post was 100% artless; something more like one would dish out on the playground.

As expected, you liked that much better.

Now THAT was "quick" condescension.

Have a good day. :cuteflowers:

Are you sure that's what condescending means? Let's see:
    ADJECTIVE
    adjective: condescending
    having or showing a feeling of patronizing superiority:

Hmm, nope. Nothing about finesse or art here and all about that superiority you've been pushing while being the exact same as everyone else, just with 6 times as many words. You've even tried to turned being called on it into another attack on my intellect.

• LAWoman72
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Nobody bothered to explain to the poor boy that the number after the decimal is a fraction of ten?
    Um. Methinks they did.

Yes. They did. But actually I don't think we can assume the OP has no idea that the number after a decimal point is, generally, a fraction of ten. That's kind of silly. I think he was just thinking it meant ounces when appearing on a scale specifically. Make sense? I don't know if I'm explaining it correctly but that's how I took it.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Nobody bothered to explain to the poor boy that the number after the decimal is a fraction of ten?
    Um. Methinks they did.

Yes. They did. But actually I don't think we can assume the OP has no idea that the number after a decimal point is, generally, a fraction of ten. That's kind of silly. I think he was just thinking it meant ounces when appearing on a scale specifically. Make sense? I don't know if I'm explaining it correctly but that's how I took it.
    Yeah, it makes sense.

I was more telling her a few people did try to explain it... Hopefully it was helpful.

• LAWoman72
    edited March 2015
    Options

Merkevar, you know I like you a lot and I think you're hilarious and a great asset to this site.

With that in mind, hang in tight for what I'm about to say next, because I don't really want to say it, but it is sticking out like a sore thumb for me.

Do you not see the slightest bit of irony in the fact that you just admonished someone for not having an elementary school-level skill...while incorrectly using the word "you're," something my son was tested on early in the school year and expected to pass? He's currently in the third grade, by the way. (And yes, he passed.)

Psst: Also, it's "an," not "a," "American site." (Capital A.) Other things my third-grader would be marked down on and probably ashamed of.

This little guy daydreams about what's beyond the cosmos, asks me what "nothing" looks like and if it's all dark, isn't dark black, and isn't black something?, reads junior high school level books and this past week informed me that his favorite pasta was "the cylindrical kind...I can't remember what that's called", sucks...and I mean SUCKS at math.

My husband sticks out like sore thumb around here. He is truly, almost frighteningly good at math...at all aspects, all categories of math. We jokingly call him Rain Man and chant "82, 82, 82" whenever he tells us that today we're 62% closer to going away on vacation than we were last Wednesday (or whatever strange math he quick-jobs up in his head at any given moment). When we first moved to SoCal, he gave me his resume to edit. School: USC...not too shabby. Best of educations. One of many corrections I made was where he stated he was on the Honor Role. God that would have been embarrassing. Overall, his IQ was, as of last (officially-administered...not via some silly internet site) count, 149. Not shabby either, IMO. I doubt his inability to spell quite a few words (don't tell him I said that) makes him thick as a tree any more than my lack of math skills makes me thick as a tree. I mean come on.

Honestly, not to hop on my very high horse but can the holier-than-thou-meter go up any higher on this thread? ;)

We are ALL good at some things..and truly suckful at others. It's a fact of life.

If we're going to show our superiority, we might try to do so by not splashing our credibility right into the toilet with an elementary school-level faux pas or two, or three. (Or as an alternative, hey, how about this? I know it's a little crazy, but...how about we get over trying to make ourselves feel superior and understand that the next person probably ISN'T useless; indeed, isn't any more useless than we ourselves may be, at least if someone's keeping score?) Sure, it's an age-old and much-beloved lather-rinse-repeat to put down the next person in order to assure ourselves that we're not mainstream and dumb as stumps as opposed to all those other (nameless) people, but if you're going for accuracy, this attitude might not fly as much. Your choice, of course; each of us is a free agent.

As for all the tired "What is the world coming to" commentary, that's been bemoaned since Socrates' time and probably earlier. I notice we're all still here. A miracle, eh?

Let's get over it...no, poor math skills don't mean the doom of humanity and failure of the public school system any more, or less, than poor grammar skills do...or poor skills in any one arena. None of us likes to admit it...but we're all pretty average. And any of us could be embarrassed by something.

I suck at math. Truly, wholly suck at it. If you consider me dense as a box of rocks due to that, and if that supposition makes you feel better, I'll give you that, because in that case you probably need it. ;) The OP sucks at math too. That's about all we know about him. Have a good day, OP.

However, I'll give you a pass for not being able to hang in there with big sentences and so on. ;) As I said...we all have our strengths and weaknesses. So it's all good.

I suppose all those words for the sake of words do kind of throw me. I've never believed in taking a long time to say nothing much. As far as weaknesses go I'll take that over a failure of elementary math.

And you're free to do so even though the entire future of our species seems to focus on communication of all types, but particularly of the written (typed) variety, as evidenced by the explosion of communication technology (which you're using right now); that's your prerogative. As for math, we have, well...calculators.

As for not liking saying "nothing much," I am aware of the dig but I admit it confuses me a little; I said quite a bit. You just weren't willing (able?) to take it in. But again, that's your choice. I'm not going to peg you as stupid (as many are pegging the OP) on just this one basic lack.

I edited what I said above as it came off very harsh; I am quite sure you must have your strengths, as everyone does.

By the way, the flower emoticon was unnecessary in light of the digs. ;) If you're annoyed with me, you are and that's fine. You can be and that's all right, trust me. (That's another one of those communication things.)

So. Many. Words.

To say nothing.

Does this help?

See.
    See Spot.
    See Spot...Oh, never mind, that's probably already too much to take in all at once. Probably should have just posted a kitty-cat gif.

See now, you're able to be condescending and insult my intelligence just like you accuse everyone else in this thread of doing without hiding in all those pointless words. Isn't that much simpler and yet just as effective (if not more so)?

There is hope for you yet, if you just keep working you'll he able to exude superiority without needing a bunch of words to make yourself look smart or thoughtful. Very promising.

Oh no, that wasn't condescension. It was simple nastiness. Condescension implies a degree of finesse; of "hiding" one's nastiness, if it were.

You don't seem to like finesse very much. I tossed you the nasty reply all your (attempted) jabs deserved. My post was 100% artless; something more like one would dish out on the playground.

ADJECTIVE

Hmm, nope. Nothing about finesse or art here and all about that superiority you've been pushing while being the exact same as everyone else, just with 6 times as many words. You've even tried to turned being called on it into another attack on my intellect.

Patronizing does imply a degree of finesse (as I said, "hiding" one's jab - perhaps you don't see that as finesse; that's fine) as opposed to flat-out nastiness and jabs, yes.

No, I didn't attack your intellect; just your lack with many words in one (relatively) small space, which you initially brought up...not I. (In fact, it was the whole basis for your beginning put-downs.) And I was the one who said this lack did not mean you're stupid overall, any more than the OP's (math) lack means he's stupid overall.

:adorablepassiveaggressiveflowerforyou:

Have an awesome day.

• AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Seriously people! Why so snarky when the guy asked a legit question? Sheez... have you nothing better to do?
    THANK YOU to all who answered him with accuracy and kindness
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I have to ask...

I saw absolutely nothing in LAWoman's original post that was condescending or nasty, simply calling out person A who was having a go at Person B for something that they themselves may not be perfect at, whilst giving a reasonable explanation as to why person A may not be deserving of ridicule.

She used a lot of words. OK. But how on earth does that make it condescending or in any way less valid? Why on earth is someone being attacked for using more than "LOLBROUSODUM!1!!!1!" which is what covers most of the internet.

Are people really that threatened or intimidated by simple words, or is there some deeper axe grinding going on? I kind of hope it's the latter...
  • G8rRay
    G8rRay Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    In the world, excluding the North American Continent, the comma (,) is used to separate integers from the decimal fraction part of numbers and the period (.) is used to separate the integer portion of the numbers into multiples of 10^3 (1000); so, the question, if from one raised outside North America (NA), isn't strange or represent an uneducated person. [Also, those same people (raised outside NA) use grams, kilograms, etc., rather than pounds and ounces--except, it appears, in Great Britain, where they use Stones, pounds, etc.]

On the other hand, how can so many folks, who have been raised in North America, think the numerals to the right of the period represents ounces rather than decimal pounds? Has the NA education system deteriorated that far?
  • MonsoonStorm
    Options
    We only use st/lbs/oz for body weight in Greatish Britland, the overriding European overlords have seen to it that we use g/kg for everything else ;-)

• Cranquistador
    Options

So. Many. Words.

To say nothing.

Does this help?

See.
    See Spot.

ADJECTIVE

Patronizing does imply a degree of finesse (as I said, "hiding" one's jab - perhaps you don't see that as finesse; that's fine) as opposed to flat-out nastiness and jabs, yes.

No, I didn't attack your intellect; just your lack with many words in one (relatively) small space, which you initially brought up...not I. (In fact, it was the whole basis for your beginning put-downs.) And I was the one who said this lack did not mean you're stupid overall, any more than the OP's (math) lack means he's stupid overall.

Have an awesome day.

Now this I respectfully disagree with. You did attack her intellect.
  • Daiako
    edited March 2015
    Options

So. Many. Words.

To say nothing.

Does this help?

See.
    See Spot.

ADJECTIVE

Have an awesome day.

I liked Cranq's response better. Same point but better.
  • Cranquistador
    Options

So. Many. Words.

To say nothing.

Does this help?

See.
    See Spot.

ADJECTIVE

Have an awesome day.

patronizing
    adjective
    speaking or behaving towards someone as if they are stupid or not important:

Nope, I'd say your see spot run post still fits the bill here as well. Looks like you can be patronizing without 'hiding' your nastiness by any definition except your own.

I have no issues with lots of words just, as I've already noted, lots of words that say nothing; preferring people be succinct without pretentious meandering is hardly a mark against a person. To imply that such makes me stupid, even if not stupid overall, is certainly an attack on my intelligence no matter how you try to finesse it.

I hope your day is as lovely as mine, which so far consists of not getting out of bed (the start of champions.) :flowerforyou: i

My post was shorter than yours! :p
  • Daiako
    Options
    I have to ask...

I saw absolutely nothing in LAWoman's original post that was condescending or nasty, simply calling out person A who was having a go at Person B for something that they themselves may not be perfect at, whilst giving a reasonable explanation as to why person A may not be deserving of ridicule.

She used a lot of words. OK. But how on earth does that make it condescending or in any way less valid? Why on earth is someone being attacked for using more than "LOLBROUSODUM!1!!!1!" which is what covers most of the internet.

Are people really that threatened or intimidated by simple words, or is there some deeper axe grinding going on? I kind of hope it's the latter...

Hmm. I suppose you wouldn't find this a bit condescending either.

That said I don't think anyone called her post condescending. Just wordy and I think someone else said pretentious. So. Nothing for you to be confused about after all.
  • Daiako
    Options

So. Many. Words.

To say nothing.

Does this help?

See.
    See Spot.

ADJECTIVE

Have an awesome day.

patronizing
    adjective

Nope, I'd say your see spot run post still fits the bill here as well. Looks like you can be patronizing without 'hiding' your nastiness by any definition except your own.

I have no issues with lots of words just, as I've already noted, lots of words that say nothing; preferring people be succinct without pretentious meandering is hardly a mark against a person. To imply that such makes me stupid, even if not stupid overall, is certainly an attack on my intelligence no matter how you try to finesse it.

I hope your day is as lovely as mine, which so far consists of not getting out of bed (the start of champions.) :flowerforyou: i

And I thank you for it. In fact I'm going to defer to your response and erase my own because I'm getting to be needlessly wordy as well.
  • MonsoonStorm
    Options

So. Many. Words.

To say nothing.

Does this help?

See.
    See Spot.

ADJECTIVE

Have an awesome day.

patronizing
    adjective

So what you are saying is that you were disrespectful because you didn't like her style?
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    We only use st/lbs/oz for body weight in Greatish Britland, the overriding European overlords have seen to it that we use g/kg for everything else ;-)
    Does ANYWHERE else in the world use stones? It's such an odd, antiquated measurement, like hundredweight and chains. Took a while to adjust when we moved to Canada, but now I only think in pounds.

As as aside, my husband likes to make up weird measurements for things; my favourite is 'furlongs per fortnight'.

Regarding the original question, I actually can see how this confusion arises. My food scale, when set to pounds and ounces, shows the ounces in numbers, not decimals, e.g. 2:13 (2lbs 13oz). It could be confusing that bodyweight scales show decimals instead.
  • MonsoonStorm
    Options
    I have to ask...

That said I don't think anyone called her post condescending. Just wordy and I think someone else said pretentious. So. Nothing for you to be confused about after all.

It wasn't condescending, it was a genuine question.

There is so much aggression in this forum, in every thread... I've been on a lot of forums in my time, but I have never come across one that, despite being aimed towards people helping each other, is so profoundly vitriolic. A lot of it seems geuinely to be people taking things far too personally... a side effect of calorie deficits or too much energy perhaps depending on your "camp"? Who knows.

Yes, I'm a naive newbie.
  • LAWoman72
    edited March 2015
    Options

"Stone" always confuses me. It's just not a "rounded" number, you know? I mean sure, I can multiply. ;) (Eventually.) Even by 14. But...who came up with that one? Some 14-lb. stone somewhere in Great Britain at some point in history was lucky enough to be lifted by someone official with the declaration, "This is it! Our new measurement." LOL.

I heard at some point (is this just an urban legend?) that the original "one foot" measurement was based on some king's (can't remember which) actual foot. Is that just a story?

Then again, many non-metric system designations are...weird. Well, IMO. Hello, can we please have some round numbers here? Even fives would be just fine. Have mercy on those of us who are challenged.

My school had a go at the metric system when I was in, hmmm...the fourth grade, I think. It made perfect sense to me. Divide everything by 10? Now that I could accept. But it sort of petered out after that.
  • LAWoman72
    edited March 2015
    Options

So. Many. Words.

To say nothing.

Does this help?

See.
    See Spot.

ADJECTIVE

Have an awesome day.

patronizing
    adjective

And I thank you for it. In fact I'm going to defer to your response and erase my own because I'm getting to be needlessly wordy as well.

I don't mind if you're wordy (well, obviously), whether you consider it needless or not, and if you have an issue with the things I've said I have no problem with that either. You're allowed. I'm an extraordinarily imperfect person; it is what it is.

It would be a vast improvement over the passive-aggressive smileys, anyway. Well, IMO, for what that's worth.

• Daiako
    Options
    I have to ask...

It wasn't condescending, it was a genuine question.

There is so much aggression in this forum, in every thread... I've been on a lot of forums in my time, but I have never come across one that, despite being aimed towards people helping each other, is so profoundly vitriolic. A lot of it seems geuinely to be people taking things far too personally... a side effect of calorie deficits or too much energy perhaps depending on your "camp"? Who knows.

Yes, I'm a naive newbie.

It being a genuine question doesn't exclude it from being condescending. Suggesting that others are afraid or intimidated by 'simple words' would be seen by many as a jab. That you don't see that might be why some saw a post as pretentious and you didn't. Something to ponder.

And might I suggest political, child raising, or video game forums if you're really interested in something vitriolic. MFP is very moderated (some would say overly so) with an extensive set of guidelines and, as such, is one of the most tame forums I've ever encountered.