i just made awful cookies/ share your recipe failures

Options

Replies

• MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    There are so many!

-When I was 19, I made instant mashed potatoes while on vacation & didn't have a measuring cup, so I guessed on the water and made something more like potato soup- my husband still rags on me to this day...over 10 years later
    -Made a HUGE batch of cookies for a work thing and was trying to quadruple (sp?) the recipe......ending up with very salty and very vanilla-y cookies.
    -Made monkey bread in the wrong type of pan and the glaze leaked all out, all over the oven and the "bread" didn't rise...that whole thing was a total fail. I think my mom was embarrassed about that one.

Those are the ones that stick out the most..
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    I made REALLY awful 3-4 ingredient, no flour pumpkin cookies. Needless to say, I managed to get a bite...but boy was it NASTYY. Such a waste...

I think I made these same cookies.... so disgusting! I had a few bites and shuddered through each one, but I felt so bad for wasting ingredients!

sometimes I think these recipes are posted by people who mean well, but think weight loss is all about deprivation and not moderation

it makes me wonder how long it's been since they had a real cookie!
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Not everything with the word "skinny" in it is gross :) Try www.skinnymom.com, I love her recipes... my favorite are her banana pancakes... Yum!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I made REALLY awful 3-4 ingredient, no flour pumpkin cookies. Needless to say, I managed to get a bite...but boy was it NASTYY. Such a waste...

I think I made these same cookies.... so disgusting! I had a few bites and shuddered through each one, but I felt so bad for wasting ingredients!

sometimes I think these recipes are posted by people who mean well, but think weight loss is all about deprivation and not moderation

I agree. To me it's just a waste of calories to eat those things because I'm still going to want a real cookie/pancake/cheesecake/brownie/etc. Might as well just have the real thing.

ETA I also think a lot of them have really low calorie goals. If you've only got 1200 calories maybe there isn't room for a real cookie. That's sad too.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    There's is lady blogger that tries out pinterest recipes etc The ones that fail are the best! its a really good blog! I'm trying to think of the name of it.

She swears a lot too which i think is funny but some may not
  • TigressPat
    Options
    Not everything with the word "skinny" in it is gross :) Try www.skinnymom.com, I love her recipes... my favorite are her banana pancakes... Yum!

are those the ones that include one egg, and one banana and nothing else?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

otherwise known as banana omelets? :laugh:
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options

Instant oatmeal and pumpkin puree, maybe? I remember when I read the recipe, I thought, "Huh, seems like they would turn out rubbery and taste bitter." But other people were raving over them, so I made a batch...and they turned out rubbery and tasted bitter.
  • TigressPat
    Options

I agree. To me it's just a waste of calories to eat those things because I'm still going to want a real cookie/pancake/cheesecake/brownie/etc. Might as well just have the real thing.

ETA I also think a lot of them have really low calorie goals. If you've only got 1200 calories maybe there isn't room for a real cookie. That's sad too.

exactly!
    even if I had 1200 calories, I think i'd rather go without than waste 100 of them on something that only makes me crave the real thing more.
    I mean the clod cookies are not exactly calorie free. usually they are only about 1/2 to a 1/3 less calories and 100 times less enjoyable!
  • TigressPat
    Options

otherwise known as banana omelets? :laugh:

or strangely sweet lumpy eggs!
  • ValRAAAAY
    ValRAAAAY Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I tried to make bacon chocolate chip cookies. SEVERAL times. I can never get enough bacon flavor in them for my liking. The NEXT time I make them, I'll substitute some of the butter for BACON GREASE!!!!!! HAS to work, right?!?
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I made a tuna casserole a very long time ago. It was so bad that my cat wouldn't even eat it.
  • lastfrenchfryever
    lastfrenchfryever Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Attempted to make a vegan soup that involved beans, sprouts, nuts, and other odds and ends. Came out the color of sludge and the consistency. Tasted sort of how I'd imagine licking sandpaper would taste. It was a big, fat, recipe fail!
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I tried to make bacon chocolate chip cookies. SEVERAL times. I can never get enough bacon flavor in them for my liking. The NEXT time I make them, I'll substitute some of the butter for BACON GREASE!!!!!! HAS to work, right?!?

Yuk! And I'm from the deep South. Bacon reigns supreme down here.
  • spaghetti93
    spaghetti93 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    i'm tempted to try that cauliflower pizza crust since i cant have wheat... but im scared and suspect that i will hate it...
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options

Yup - totally works. Just make sure it's strained and comes to room temp. Then you can cream it like butter with your sugar.

I make bacon caramel with half butter/ half bacon fat. SO GOOD OMG.

Also consider making candied bacon and putting it on top of the cookies before they bake.

Candied bacon link: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Candied-Bacon-237190
  • TigressPat
    Options
    i'm tempted to try that cauliflower pizza crust since i cant have wheat... but im scared and suspect that i will hate it...

I've actually had goos cauliflower pizza before, but it's not pizza! and I've also had bad cauliflower pizza, so I'm wary!

same thing for the black bean brownies!
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options

Two words. Polenta Crust.

http://www.takeamegabite.com/asparagus-quiche-with-a-polenta-crust-gluten-free/
  • TigressPat
    Options

Yup - totally works. Just make sure it's strained and comes to room temp. Then you can cream it like butter with your sugar.

I make bacon caramel with half butter/ half bacon fat. SO GOOD OMG.

Also consider making candied bacon and putting it on top of the cookies before they bake.

Candied bacon link: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Candied-Bacon-237190

instant gallbladder attack!
    :laugh:
  • SheilaG1963
    SheilaG1963 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin Dip!! Had pumpkin, cream cheese, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla. BLECH!!