i just made awful cookies/ share your recipe failures

Options

Replies

• PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    This 'protein pancake' that went viral on Pinterest using cottage cheese, egg whites and oats. It didn't set right and it tasted like crap. Vanilla extract and eggs DO NOT go together.

I attempted to make those soft, crumbly Lofthouse sugar cookies once...they turned out like biscuits. They were so labor intensive and I was really hankering for a sugar cookie. The frosting was pretty close to the real deal, though!
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Sugar free marshmallows made with whipped egg whites and gelatin. They do not work. They are not marshmallows. Don't even try to save it by trying to make rice crispy treats. I got a pan full of soggy rice jello! I think I put protein powder in it too. That ain't right!
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    I actually *really* like those 2-ingredient oatmeal/banana cookies!! It's not about low goals...I just want something sweet that won't break the caloric bank. ^_^ And I'm working with 2K+ calories. No worries there.
  • Saratini76
    Saratini76 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Two words. Jerk Chicken. It was so hot that no one could eat it! I guess I had put too much "jerk" on the chicken breasts!

:ohwell: :ohwell:
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    omg the worst were the protein brownies off fitness recipes. They were like grainy sand brownies. I was pretty skeptical of the 'no sugar' aspect, so I added Stevia. Did not help.

Avoid: http://thefitnessrecipes.com/?p=658

However I would HIGHLY recommend The Healthy chef's recipes. Hers are absolutely delicious: http://www.thehealthychef.com/category/recipes/
  • happyfrogg
    happyfrogg Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Years ago I tried a crock pot recipe for "orange chicken." It tasted, quite literally and without hyperbole, like vomit.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    i'm tempted to try that cauliflower pizza crust since i cant have wheat... but im scared and suspect that i will hate it...

It's ok, but it is no substitute for a pizza crust. Mine tasted exactly like what it was; mushed up cauliflower with cheese and sauce on top.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I tried to make a free form pie with ricotta and cherry filling.

It was a goopy horrible mess that ended up looking like a murder scene. Terrible. Fat free ricotta does not a good pie filling make

baaaaarf
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    When I accidentally bought arugula (so spicy I couldn't even eat it as is) instead of spinach and added it to a big ol' smoothie. I took two sips and down the drain it went!

Another time I thought I could sub spaghetti squash for the noodles in pad thai. God was that disgusting, I couldn't eat it. The squash turned to mush within two minutes. Thankfully my boyfriend will eat next to anything so he ended up cleaning the pan!
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I hate it when I'm cooking beans and I forget and I burn them. The smell of burnt beans is NASTY. This typically happens when I'm frying them. lol

Fried beans? :noway:
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Protein pancakes (the ones made with one egg, ground oats, and a scoop of protein powder).

Ew. Just ew.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I tried to make chocolate meringue cookies once. If I can imagine what poop tastes like, that would be it.

OTOH, the only way I eat brownies any more are the black bean brownies!!! Maybe it's the mix or brand of beans we use, but they are so much more moist and delicious than regular brownies! I went to make a batch last weekend, and we were out of beans, so I made them according to the box and found myself wishing we would've had beans!
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    When we first moved in together, my husband kept asking for corned beef hash. Having absolutely no clue what that was, I tossed corn, ground beef, and frozen hash browns in the skillet with some garlic, salt and pepper.

That was NOT corned beef hash. After applying a liberal amount of ketchup and choking down 2-3 bites, he informed me that this was without a doubt the worst thing I had ever set on his plate.

Fortunately, the rest of my cooking must be good, because he married me anyway!
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    i once made banana/flaxseed meal/protein powder/black bean "brownies" sweetened with stevia. They were completely inedible.

another fail was the crust-less pumpkin pie. once again, stevia as sweetener. completely disgusting. blech.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    My healthy brownies last night didn't set. I need to eat them with a spoon

does that at least mean they are worth eating?
    because the spoon thing wouldn't put me off in the slightest!

They were okay, edible and chocolatey. I will keep experimenting though. The only reason I complain about having to eat them with a sppon is because I'd like to be able to take them with me to work etc. Totally in favour of brownie batter though
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I consistently fail at making granola bars for my GF son to take to school in his lunches. Fortunately the school year's over on Tuesday so I can quit frickin' trying for a while. He's taken a spoon and a little bowl of granola bar bits and pieces that wouldn't stick together more than once!
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    I tried to make chocolate meringue cookies once. If I can imagine what poop tastes like, that would be it.

OTOH, the only way I eat brownies any more are the black bean brownies!!! Maybe it's the mix or brand of beans we use, but they are so much more moist and delicious than regular brownies! I went to make a batch last weekend, and we were out of beans, so I made them according to the box and found myself wishing we would've had beans!

waht do you do, just add beans to the boxed mix?

all the oens I have had (good and bad!) have been from scratch!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

waht do you do, just add beans to the boxed mix?

all the oens I have had (good and bad!) have been from scratch!

Yep. Take a box of brownie mix, stick it in your mixer. Take one can of black bean, drain and rinse them. Put the beans back in the can, and fill the can to the brim with water. Put beans/water in BLENDER, and puree. Add to brownie mix, beat. Cook according to directions. So. Delicious. When you first beat them together, you can kinda see little bits of bean that didn't puree. However, once baked I have never noticed them. We even make them like this to take to outings and such, and everyone raves about them.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    This 'protein pancake' that went viral on Pinterest using cottage cheese, egg whites and oats. It didn't set right and it tasted like crap. Vanilla extract and eggs DO NOT go together.

I attempted to make those soft, crumbly Lofthouse sugar cookies once...they turned out like biscuits. They were so labor intensive and I was really hankering for a sugar cookie. The frosting was pretty close to the real deal, though!

I tried the protein pancake too and it was a disaster! The recipe I used said "oatmeal" instead of "oats", so i had these super watery super thin messy pancakes.

The worst fail ever though was my first green smoothie attempt. One of my super skinny healthy friends recommended this green smoothie with apples and broccoli.....oh it was atrocious. it was like sweet, watery, cold broccoli soup.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

I tried this recipe too, or at least a similar one - I liked it. My pancakes came out fluffy and delicious. Of all the protein pancake recipes I've tried it comes in close to the top.

Edit: This is the recipe I use and saved. I usually do it with liquid egg whites from a carton, equal to the 8 whites it calls for.

1 cup cottage cheese
    1 cup oatmeal (quick or old-fashioned)
    4 eggs or 8 egg whites
    (some recipes also call for vanilla and baking powder)