Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    You know I don't have issues with refeeds eg eating at maintenance for a couple of weeks ..it does a body and mind good

A days refeed as a must-do though ...meh

Yup, done them and they were great mentally.... did not improve my weight loss over the long term.

Honestly, a day's "refeed" once a week sounds like a great way to wipe out a deficit and bunkum to justify cheat days, no matter how it was advised to eat on that day.

I've done a proper refeed (minimum fat, high carb, at or above maintenance needs) once, and I've had single maintenance days thrown in. If doing a refeed/maintenance day it's not enough to wipe out the deficit entirely, it will just make it smaller. So e.g. if maintenance is 2500 and you eat 2000 every day for a 1lb/week loss, then eating 2500 once a week would result in a 2070 average intake, so a bit less than a lb a week lost. So they are definitely still great additions for sanity and just general preference, but I doubt they will play a role in weight loss in the long term.

But not tracking and just stuffing your face.... will probably have more consequences. I've definitely noticed more loss right after high calorie intake, but it's mostly water loss and such.

I'm an old short lady, and my margins aren't as large as yours, so though I'd probably still come out ahead, it would not be by much. I should have more accurately said that doing a weekly refeed will bite into your deficit. That's presuming you're going for something like a pound a week. When you're down closer to goal and it's half a pound or less a week?

I don't know. I've run the numbers on IIFYM on my goal weight TDEE and BMR. There's not too many calories between them.

If your maintenance is say... 1500, you eat 1500 once a week, then your average intake would be 1240. so again, just a slightly slower weight loss rate.

You can stick to 1lb/week even if you have 5lbs to lose, it's rec'd you lower the goal for satiety purposes. But if you know that you want to have a 0.5lb/week rate and you want to do a once-weekly refeed/maintenance day, then you can adjust your intake so that the weekly average = 0.5lb/week. E.g if maintenance at 2500 and wanting to eat 2250 for a generic 0.5lb/week estimated loss, then you'd eat 2200 6x a week, 2500 once a week, gets you just short of 2250 daily average. You can have a 3000 calorie day if you want, and then 2125 6x a week, etc.

You know, I teach my daughter algebra on a daily basis just fine, but that paragraph made my head spin. I hear what you're saying though.

I know that refeeds at maintenance are a thing to do at some point. I've only been doing this for about four months. I'm not at that point yet.

I only just realized how to figure out the 6x a week intake levels as I typed it out lol, even though I've done this before using other calculations that took longer. But if someone's eating 2000 calories to lose weight, then as long as the weekly total is about 14000 calories then it can be divvied up any way they'd like (although idk how much it will affect daily weighins).

I've been at this for 8 months. I don't do refeeds, I basically just eat maintenance for as long as I desire whenever I feel the need. I don't think that refeeds or weekly maintenance intake is required at all regardless of how long you've been at it, since it's all just personal preference. some people will just keep lowering until they reach their weight, others start low then raise, others keep it consistent the entire time, others take diet breaks as needed.... as long as the approach works for the individual throughout no one method is needed.
  • ana3067
    Options
    stelper wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Troutsy wrote: »
    Leptin
    noun
    1.a hormone that is thought to suppress appetite and speed up metabolism.

(http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/leptin ?s=t)

Sounds like it isn't 100% if it actually "speeds up metabolism" or not.

Dig a little deeper into the functionality of Leptin. It also regulates your energy expenditure (BMR).

Do you have some peer reviewed studies to share? Where did you get your information?
    A google search of leptin just gives me a whole lot of blogs telling me to reset my leptin levels.

Yes. Here is a article that explains Leptin in terms of weight loss: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark60.htm

And here is a peer-reviewed article: http://www.jci.org/articles/view/45888
    Our current understanding of leptin action on energy balance is largely based on animal research and, therefore, one may wonder how much we have really learned about leptin action in the human brain

It sounds like they don't really know either. That's from your peer reviewed study.

According to OP's "study" obese people have low levels of Leptin, yet according to this study (as well as others) Leptin levels are HIGH in obese people: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/17212793/

Those were studies done 6 years prior to the one I posted. The study of Leptin is still relatively new. Also, if people here are coming for confrontation, you are not going to find it. I do deserve the ridicule for my mix up of hormones because it was a careless mistake, and I apologize. I came across Leptin because I've been researching the reasoning by why some people are able to reach very lower body fat percentages with virtually no plateaus. They do this with a caloric deficit with consistent re-feed days to boost metabolism back up due to lower Leptin levels, which reduce BMR.

Except I'm not aware of studies confirming this belief of reduced BMR from a reasonable deficit (and not just a reduced BMR from the reduction of overall weight itself). Sure, many have found a re-feed day helpful in adherence to an otherwise overly large deficit, but not that it affects BMR in any meaningful way.

I'm not saying the belief isn't out there...it certainly is...everywhere you look (and, of course, by those selling you the idea), but the science that I'm aware of (and my own personal experience of daily logging for three+ years) has not yet demonstrated the belief is valid.

I sincerely appreciate your non-hostile response. The article I posted: http://www.jci.org/articles/view/45888
    and
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark60.htm

talk about Leptin levels affecting your energy expenditure

"Since its discovery, leptin has been found to have profound effects on behavior, metabolic rate, endocrine axes, and glucose fluxes. Leptin deficiency in mice and humans causes morbid obesity, diabetes, and various neuroendocrine anomalies, and replacement leads to decreased food intake, normalized glucose homeostasis, and increased energy expenditure."

I was always fascinated on why people were getting such great results with re-feed days. This is just the science behind it.

A questions for you:

How long of a prolonged deficit does it take for Leptin levels to drop to the point where hunger is hard to control?

How susceptible to low Leptin levels are obese individuals? Does the amount of fat in the extra amount of fat cells they have result in affected the susceptibility of obese individuals getting low Leptin levels?

At what body fat stage would a lean individual getting leaner need to start worrying about Leptin or is it something they need to address before they get lean?

Is the theory that low Leptin levels leading to obesity a result of increased appetite which leads to over consumption of food?

Is it possible to confuse the feeling of low Leptin with that of high Ghrelin?

You mentioned refeeds, how often should someone be refeeding in order to increase leptin?

How many continuous days of over feeding do we need in order to impact leptin and how long does that last?

Listen, as most of you have probably realized, I'm not an expert on Leptin. I know that re-feed days have helped people (me included) get great results who were struggling to lose weight with prolonged deficits. I noticed that when I hit around 22% body fat, I could no longer lose fat anymore, and others like me have had the same problem. I heard people were doing periodic re-feed days to increase your metabolism. It seemed like the leaner the individual got, the shorter the intervals of re-feeds days were needed to get your desired body fat percentage.

In the body building community, re-feeds days are very well-known and accepted. I wanted to try and figure out the science behind why they work, and Leptin was the result.

I'm not advocating crazy cheat days. Just a simple day of eating 100-200 calories over maintenance.

I also want to clear up this confusion of calories in vs. calories out. I'm not trying to debate this widely accepted rule in the weight-loss community. I might have been quite ambiguous with it in my first post, so I apologize. I'm simply trying to say that with Leptin, or for some other reason, your metabolism slows down when you have prolonged deficits, or when you are trying to lose those last 5-10lbs, which decreases what people to perceive to be the "calories out." For some reason, a re-feed day has helped me--along with other people-- break out weight-loss plateaus.

THen you were probably just not creating enough of a deficit anymore for appreciable weight loss. Or not exercising enough to increase your deficit. Hitting 22% BF wouldn't magically make your body incapable of losing weight anymore due to hormonal changes.... the hormone changes wouldn't suddenly kick in and negate weight loss efforts at 22% BF.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    jak1958 wrote: »
    Unbelievable to read some of these responses. Ignorance combined with arrogance is a dangerous thing.. OP is accurate regarding Leptin...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/index.php?s=leptin

fark_pxhzjf5WuKTG856UBjbP_GWykiI_zpsdrwhwzmh.gif
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Leptin
    noun

Dig a little deeper into the functionality of Leptin. It also regulates your energy expenditure (BMR).

Do you have some peer reviewed studies to share? Where did you get your information?
    A google search of leptin just gives me a whole lot of blogs telling me to reset my leptin levels.

Yes. Here is a article that explains Leptin in terms of weight loss: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark60.htm

Our current understanding of leptin action on energy balance is largely based on animal research and, therefore, one may wonder how much we have really learned about leptin action in the human brain

It sounds like they don't really know either. That's from your peer reviewed study.

According to OP's "study" obese people have low levels of Leptin, yet according to this study (as well as others) Leptin levels are HIGH in obese people: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/17212793/

Those were studies done 6 years prior to the one I posted. The study of Leptin is still relatively new. Also, if people here are coming for confrontation, you are not going to find it. I do deserve the ridicule for my mix up of hormones because it was a careless mistake, and I apologize. I came across Leptin because I've been researching the reasoning by why some people are able to reach very lower body fat percentages with virtually no plateaus. They do this with a caloric deficit with consistent re-feed days to boost metabolism back up due to lower Leptin levels, which reduce BMR.

Except I'm not aware of studies confirming this belief of reduced BMR from a reasonable deficit (and not just a reduced BMR from the reduction of overall weight itself). Sure, many have found a re-feed day helpful in adherence to an otherwise overly large deficit, but not that it affects BMR in any meaningful way.

I'm not saying the belief isn't out there...it certainly is...everywhere you look (and, of course, by those selling you the idea), but the science that I'm aware of (and my own personal experience of daily logging for three+ years) has not yet demonstrated the belief is valid.

I sincerely appreciate your non-hostile response. The article I posted: http://www.jci.org/articles/view/45888
    and

"Since its discovery, leptin has been found to have profound effects on behavior, metabolic rate, endocrine axes, and glucose fluxes. Leptin deficiency in mice and humans causes morbid obesity, diabetes, and various neuroendocrine anomalies, and replacement leads to decreased food intake, normalized glucose homeostasis, and increased energy expenditure."

I was always fascinated on why people were getting such great results with re-feed days. This is just the science behind it.

A questions for you:

How long of a prolonged deficit does it take for Leptin levels to drop to the point where hunger is hard to control?

How susceptible to low Leptin levels are obese individuals? Does the amount of fat in the extra amount of fat cells they have result in affected the susceptibility of obese individuals getting low Leptin levels?

At what body fat stage would a lean individual getting leaner need to start worrying about Leptin or is it something they need to address before they get lean?

Is the theory that low Leptin levels leading to obesity a result of increased appetite which leads to over consumption of food?

You mentioned refeeds, how often should someone be refeeding in order to increase leptin?

How many continuous days of over feeding do we need in order to impact leptin and how long does that last?

Listen, as most of you have probably realized, I'm not an expert on Leptin. I know that re-feed days have helped people (me included) get great results who were struggling to lose weight with prolonged deficits. I noticed that when I hit around 22% body fat, I could no longer lose fat anymore, and others like me have had the same problem. I heard people were doing periodic re-feed days to increase your metabolism. It seemed like the leaner the individual got, the shorter the intervals of re-feeds days were needed to get your desired body fat percentage.

In the body building community, re-feeds days are very well-known and accepted. I wanted to try and figure out the science behind why they work, and Leptin was the result.

I'm not advocating crazy cheat days. Just a simple day of eating 100-200 calories over maintenance.

I also want to clear up this confusion of calories in vs. calories out. I'm not trying to debate this widely accepted rule in the weight-loss community. I might have been quite ambiguous with it in my first post, so I apologize. I'm simply trying to say that with Leptin, or for some other reason, your metabolism slows down when you have prolonged deficits, or when you are trying to lose those last 5-10lbs, which decreases what people to perceive to be the "calories out." For some reason, a re-feed day has helped me--along with other people-- break out weight-loss plateaus.

OP- - -any chance you can explain this a little more. Once you hit 22% you couldn't lose BF anymore correct? What did you do to change your stoppage of BF loss? Did you follow the Leptin Diet? Yes folks, there is one.

• palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Holy moly... This is my first time ever to visit the "community" here... Seems like this "community" is full of jerks...

Insert Linkin Park video here.

LOL!
  • ana3067
    Options
    Leptin
    noun

and

A questions for you:

There is no need to get defensive. I do appreciate that you stated that you were a bit ambiguous with your first post. The issue is that when you come in talking about a potential reason for why people can't lose weight you have to be ready to respond to some questions on the topic. Some questions might be inquisitive but then you will need to take into consideration that you might get some questions from people that have studied and practiced the concept at some point.

Saying the concept is widely accepted in the bodybuilding community isn't a way to prove you are correct in your assumptions. It's not a widely accepted theory in the use of people that are obese or over weight or even under 15 or 12% bf. We have discussed this topic on bodybuilding.com and also in a bit more advanced detail than it has been here in this thread so it's not wise to make a general statement that something is widely accepted in the bodybuilding community when in reality it's not as you present it.

Properly structure refeeds does not simply mean eating a few hundred calories over maintenance. There is a structured way to do it and construct the daily meal plan. A proper refeed can require a lot more attention to detail than a standard deficit day.

Plus, it was once widely accepted in the BB community that you need to eat 1-1.5g/lb of protein and 6 meals a day and that you'd have to meal time etc. Just because something is widely accepted within a community doesn't mean it's based on any actual science or that it actually has the effect the community thinks it does. It works for them because they are their own study of 1 with no control group.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Leptin
    noun

You are missing the point. Leptin is created by FAT CELLS, therefor the only way to increase Leptin levels is to increase fat cells (aka GAIN weight). A day or two of "re feeding at maintenance" is not going to do that. Secondly the age of the study doesn't change the basic science, your "study" is the only one that says obese people have low Leptin levels all the others I've found state during testing Leptin levels on obese people had HIGH Leptin levels.

Incorrect.

Leptin is primarily produced in lipocytes (aka "fat cells") but the liver and other tissues do also produce it.

The truth is that leptin signaling is complex, we don't fully understand it and conclusions from these early population studies don't explain diddly.

ETA: OP, I agree that refeeds might help reduce adaptive thermogenesis metabolic effects of long term dieting. Might. The mechanism is probably related to hormones and likely in the adrenal/pituitary/thyroid area because, well the research suggests these are doen regulated.
    While I believe that either diet breaks or refeeds are useful - the whole "it's the leptins" hypothesis shouldn't be your lead-in.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Leptin
    noun

and

I don't think those referenced articles prove what you think they prove...at least not for humans. They're certainly far less certain in their conclusions than you are in your post about them.

And I still maintain that perceived success from re-feed days is more likely explained by better adherence to an overall caloric deficit than it is from some effect on BMR. BMR is simply very difficult to affect...especially over a relatively short period of time.

I agree, and will add that for someone who is normally and consistently eating at a caloric deficit, a moderate "refeed" might also fuel a more energized workout, leading to a new boost on the burn side of the equation.

Although, the ctrl-alt-bellybutton "reset" is my new favorite thing and I fully intend to shamelessly use it on the 8000 "reset your metabolism" threads that we see every week.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Leptin
    noun

and

I don't think those referenced articles prove what you think they prove...at least not for humans. They're certainly far less certain in their conclusions than you are in your post about them.

And I still maintain that perceived success from re-feed days is more likely explained by better adherence to an overall caloric deficit than it is from some effect on BMR. BMR is simply very difficult to affect...especially over a relatively short period of time.

I agree, and will add that for someone who is normally and consistently eating at a caloric deficit, a moderate "refeed" might also fuel a more energized workout, leading to a new boost on the burn side of the equation.

Although, the ctrl-alt-bellybutton "reset" is my new favorite thing and I fully intend to shamelessly use it on the 8000 "reset your metabolism" threads that we see every week.

Naturally I'll expect a royalty fee...payable in gelato or cupcakes.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Leptin
    noun

and

Naturally I'll expect a royalty fee...payable in gelato or cupcakes.

60421562.jpg