Need help quick

Options
2»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I have 5 weeks to lose it, not 2. And I've been working at it for a couple months with very limited results. Kinda figured I'd get some kind of actually advise to get close to what I need at the very least. That doesn't seem to be here. I don't have a choice. It's make weight or get kicked out of the military and lose the career I've busted my *kitten* to build. I'm short with my genes working against me. This is my struggle. And I refuse to let it beat me.

Still no way. For 20 pounds, it's a half pound a week, and it doesn't just roll off.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I have 5 weeks to lose it, not 2. And I've been working at it for a couple months with very limited results. Kinda figured I'd get some kind of actually advise to get close to what I need at the very least. That doesn't seem to be here. I don't have a choice. It's make weight or get kicked out of the military and lose the career I've busted my *kitten* to build. I'm short with my genes working against me. This is my struggle. And I refuse to let it beat me.

Enter your stats into mfp's calculator and eat what it suggests to lose weight, and weigh and measure ever morsel and log diligently and honestly. Or work out your tdee and minus 20% or more if you can. Lastly prepare to suffer and be hungry a lot for the next 5 weeks. You could also check out those VLCD shakes.
    The only way you're going to lose this weight quickly is to eat at a large deficit and work your butt off. If not losing the weight is going to end your career then you have no choice but to take extreme measures :disappointed:
    maybe next time don't leave it till the last minute :wink:

This is not good advice.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Enter your stats into mfp's calculator and eat what it suggests to lose weight, and weigh and measure ever morsel and log diligently and honestly. Or work out your tdee and minus 20% or more if you can. Lastly prepare to suffer and be hungry a lot for the next 5 weeks. You could also check out those VLCD shakes.
    The only way you're going to lose this weight quickly is to eat at a large deficit and work your butt off. If not losing the weight is going to end your career then you have no choice but to take extreme measures :disappointed:

This is not good advice.

I'm aware of that. But OP has no choice. It's either lose the weight or lose her career... I'd be freaking out right now too if I was her!!

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

This is not good advice.

I'm aware of that. But OP has no choice. It's either lose the weight or lose her career... I'd be freaking out right now too if I was her!!

Yes, but if she doesn't maintain enough strength to pass the physical tests, it won't matter if she fails the weight test :\

I think she needs to find a middle ground. Somewhere between the .5 / wk and the 4/wk. 2 pounds a week with 20 pounds to lose would be aggressive, but short term, do-able, without sacrificing her physical fitness if she does it right. (Protein, cardio, and strength training!) If you lose 20 pounds just by crash dieting, a lot of it will be muscle, which will hurt your BF ratio.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If you are currently military how have you managed to get so out of shape?

Perhaps you could drop 10-15lbs in 5 weeks if you make a 1000-1500 calorie defecit daily and then dehydrate ...but it is not a healthy approach and might impair your fitness enough to get you kicked out anyway

Good luck
  • XC_Guitar17
    Options
    drink water only, dont eat, do 100 push ups every 5 minutes

That doesn't sound like it leads to effective or safe weight loss . . . just saying.

Pretty sure it was a joke :|

Oh. Whoops. If I'm not talking to someone face to face it's hard for me to tell, haha.

• XC_Guitar17
    Options

This is not good advice.

Yes, but if she doesn't maintain enough strength to pass the physical tests, it won't matter if she fails the weight test :\

I think she needs to find a middle ground. Somewhere between the .5 / wk and the 4/wk. 2 pounds a week with 20 pounds to lose would be aggressive, but short term, do-able, without sacrificing her physical fitness if she does it right. (Protein, cardio, and strength training!) If you lose 20 pounds just by crash dieting, a lot of it will be muscle, which will hurt your BF ratio.

Since you have 5 weeks, not 2 or 3 like we all thought, I agree with this now.

Good luck and have fun. Stay positive! Smile. You can do it. Like you said, you will not let your "genes" or any other obstacle beat you!!!
  • farmerandvelvet
    farmerandvelvet Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am in the military too and I know you should have a HPF, or health promotion flight, on your base, or some kind of medical team specifically for helping people with weight loss goals and PT tests. With all that is going on in the military right now with the sequestration and downsizing, they are QUICK to kick people out that fail their PT tests. You say you've been trying to do this for 2 months with no results, so why didn't you reach out to the HPF or HAWC on base when you saw you weren't achieving your goals? I would get with your unit fitness monitor ASAP and let them know what is going on, it is their job to ensure the members of their unit pass their PT test and for those that are struggling there are always PTL's (physical training leader). If you've busted your *** building your career, you forgot one huge part of a military career and that part is physical fitness. There ARE resources available to you on base that can and will help you with passing your PT test. You need to reach out to them. In the meantime, eat healthy, have a calorie deficit, and start running. I wish you the very best of luck!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Do they have something where if you don't make weight they take your measurements instead? At least that's what I was told during a recruitment conversation. You may not be able to lose 20 but maybe you'll lose ten? How tall are you? 143 lbs or whatever you said didn't sound like a lot unless you're not that tall

If you've been logging your food open up your diary and we can take a look
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    What farmerandvelvet said. Read it.

If you have been trying for 2 months before this then why didnt it register and you seek advice beforehand on something that wasnt working. In 5 weeks you could lose ten safely and 15 if you dedicated yourself to it, but I think once toy are above 10 then you are talking unsafe and unsound methods. Would you even have enough time to do the amount of exercise needed?