Teeny, tiny victory

In the greater scheme of weight loss, I've been feeling a little down reading all these amazing stories. It's the end of my first full week of commitment to this program. I signed into the "1 lb a week" plan but I expected to drop 3 or so just with water weight. I feel sad that didn't even happen. What I'm about to say is kinda dumb BUT.... I did drop 1 lb this week. It is a tiny step in my 25-30 lbs goal, but you know what? I stuck with it. I recorded everything honestly. I re-committed to my exercise program. And in theory, in 25 weeks or so, even if the pace NEVER picks up, I will have achieved my goal. Short, discreet, but grateful "Woo hoo!"

PS - I find the support and camaraderie on this boards unfathomably helpful and reassuring.

Love to all!

Replies

• workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Congrats on taking on this challenge at all, even the small victories count. I am recommitting myself to this way of life after having lost the weight/inches and regaining most of the weight after I quit logging(life happened). Good luck and continued success in your journey!
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Good for you!
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Great job! Really! I was just having a conversation like this in my own head. I have to have it nearly every week. I joined MFP the day after Christmas. I have lost 8lbs since. I will try to drop another 8 by my 50th birthday in June. I'm not sure exactly what my ultimate goal will be but it just might be where I land at my birthday.

So at not even 1lb per week average lost right now, I am STILL 8lbs lighter today than I would have been had I not started. My jeans fit like they should. You are STILL 1lb lighter today than you would have been had you not started. Keep going. Keep having that conversation with yourself, even if you have a week where nothing budges. You'll get there.

Good luck!
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    It has been said by thousands before me and 1000s more will say it long after I am gone, but you didn't gain the weight so you have to be patient with your weight loss.
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    crap I missed a word above: You didn't gain the weight overnight
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    You have a beautiful attitude!
  • CaliforniaRower
    CaliforniaRower Posts: 187 Member
    Thanks everybody! I really appreciate the kind supportive comments.
  • Jillish23
    Jillish23 Posts: 226 Member
    There's someone on the Success Board who has lost something like 50lbs since January. I've lost 14lbs... But those are MY 14lbs at MY pace. We can't compare ourselves to others - we can only listen to the advice and guidance of others and also provide support when it's needed. So you keep doing what you're doing and your body will do what it needs to do too!

Best wishes and celebrate that 1lb! :D
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    That's the correct mentality to have. You will have weeks were you loose more and some weeks you don't loose your pound. This site educates you. It's not a race or a competition. Just know if you workout and eat within your calorie goals in a few months you will be where you want to be.
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Well done! That's one pound less to cart about :-)

My weight is going very slowly, at roughly .5lb per week, and it will therefore take me c. 2 years. However, the time will pass anyway and each week I'll be that .5lb lighter and x amount fitter and healthier :-)

Keep at it OP. You're doing grand :-)
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    I really resonate with this! My weight loss has been slow but steady, at between 1.5 kg (3lb) and 2.0 kg (4lb) each month, until suddenly last month it was only 0.8lb (ca. 1.5lb). But this month it's looking like it will be 3kg. So this is the first month I will have lost more than 1lb per week, and mostly it's been less. It all adds up and in total I have lost 25lb since last October and am very nearly where I want to be, and in fact beyond where I originally was aiming to be: my goal was to lose 10kg or 22lb.

So, like Mrs Mizart said: keep it up - you are doing great!
  • nh5nh5
    nh5nh5 Posts: 21 Member
    Slowly but surely wins the race. Well done on losing your first pound. I hope you have measured yourself too as it's not always about the scales. :)
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    That's exactly how I felt in my first week! To begin with I had as much to lose as you. I was secretly hoping for more but when I saw the 1lb loss I thought: mmhhh ... hey this is working! Let's do this! And it did! Lost all the weight I wanted!

Well done! And have fun with the other 24 to 29lbs
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Celebrate every victory. You could have nice rewards set up for yourself for every pound or every three pounds. Even if you are buying star stickers for yourself to put on the fridge, they are happy reminders of successes. <3
    For me, I want a reward for logging. It is habit now, but, even so, I feel like it is job and I want a prize. >:)
  • cazpom37
    cazpom37 Posts: 88 Member
    edited March 2015
    well done and good luck with the rest. im lose at a slow rate, mainly 0.5lb per week but it adds up. takes me a bit longer than everyone else but at least im trying. i have a picture on my laptop that says 'no matter howw many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you're still way ahead of anyone who isn't trying' :smiley:
  • CaliforniaRower
    edited March 2015
    These are such lovely comments! And over the course of now something like 9 or 10 days committed here, I have lost 2 lbs, without pain or really trying or yet another "Juice Fast". I am learning about my food choices (historic and current) in ways I never thought I would!
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Nice. very good start.

Check in next week. Be honest. No big problem if you go over. Honest recording will produce more progress than not logging because of guilt.
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    In the greater scheme of weight loss, I've been feeling a little down reading all these amazing stories. It's the end of my first full week of commitment to this program. I signed into the "1 lb a week" plan but I expected to drop 3 or so just with water weight. I feel sad that didn't even happen. What I'm about to say is kinda dumb BUT.... I did drop 1 lb this week. It is a tiny step in my 25-30 lbs goal, but you know what? I stuck with it. I recorded everything honestly. I re-committed to my exercise program. And in theory, in 25 weeks or so, even if the pace NEVER picks up, I will have achieved my goal. Short, discreet, but grateful "Woo hoo!"

PS - I find the support and camaraderie on this boards unfathomably helpful and reassuring.

Love to all!

And this attitude, or this realization, is the closest thing there is to being "the secret" to weight loss. Congratulations, now you're on your way! :smile:
  • CaliforniaRower
    edited March 2015
    I see a lot of brave people here. That's why I'm recording scrupulously. To my astonishment, without any additional effort, I'm already at 2 lbs exactly as of this morning! I'm a naturally active person, so I must confess it was very poor diet choices all this time that were keeping the pudge on.
  • You got this !!!! For sure
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!