Anyone else have trouble eating at least 1200?

Options
124»

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'm confused you want to gain weight, but you've had on average a 2lb loss per week? Calorie addition is simple if you are worried start adding extra oil and fat to your meals. That's what we do for severely underweight patients.
  • liddienicole
    liddienicole Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Oh god just have a slice of cake lol. Sorry I had to say that, a bit of sugar & fat isn't going to kill you. You'll go insane eating so little plus you are ruining your metabolism!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Maybe this might help.
    I have never had issues meeting well over 1200 a day, and in healthy food.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/804985-this-is-how-hard-it-is-to-reach-1200-calories

A meal of 140g roast chicken breast, 170g sweet potato, 10g butter, 300g vegetables = around 600 calories. That is half right there.

Add an avocado, another 250 calories.
    Tbsp of peanut butter = another 100 calories.
    Large banana = 130 calories.
    Full fat Greek yoghurt, 170g = 160 calories.

I really fail to see how anyone could find this difficult. There are thousands of topics on here, 'Oh, I cannot possibly eat 1200 calories'.
    Get a grip. Even after dropping to 70Ibs with anorexia, I managed to pull myself from eating half a rice cake a day, to eating over 1200 a day, by myself.
  • Embooya
    Embooya Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My protein shake in the morning is damn near 1200 calories.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    For me, the very first step was changing my mindset from "This is how and what I'm supposed to eat while dieting," to "This is how I can see myself eating for the rest of my life."

Then it was realizing that I can eat what I ate before. I didn't omit any of my favorite foods, I just added healthier food into the mix. So I still had pasta, I just added a pile of vegetables to it. I started cooking more, and relying less on easy foods like Lean Cuisine, Hamburger Helper, etc.

After that, it was a matter of using my food diary to plan my meals, to make sure I'm eating right and eating enough, not just record them. It's become a bit of a game for me... a puzzle. I know I need to eat xx amount of protein, and a certain amount of vegetable, and get close to my fat goal, and I can fill the rest however I want.
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Wish I had that problem, actually no I don't otherwise I wouldn't be able to eat all the lovely things I do, we all need to eat what we want within reason after all life is for living ????
  • AndorZensko
    AndorZensko Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have no trouble getting in my 1200 cal. I have more trouble actually staying within that, you might think about treating yourself a little, I think LITTLE treats are good for us, unless there is some reason you can't have them.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Snack on nuts, dip sliced apples in peanut butter, add avocado to pretty much any meal, whole eggs, full fat dairy, use olive & coconut oils in cooking and dressings....

My goal is around 1900, and I have no problem meeting it.
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    When I was having issues eating 1200 calories it was because I was scared to eat more because I equated food with being overweight. That is eating disorder thinking. I think MFP revamped my ED that I had in high school… thanks MFP!

Anyway, try to lighten up a little and think of eating as nourishing your body, filling up your gas tank. Your body will fight against you if you don’t eat enough and nothing good will happen.

You can drive your car below the empty line, but it will eventually stop and leave you hanging on the side of the road with no way home.

Eat some damn nuts and quit overthinking it.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    poor you
  • NatureChik1985
    Options
    I had over 1200 calories for lunch, so I don't share your problem. I do have trouble hitting 3000 sometimes though.
  • KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I was/am morbidly obease. The whole reason I became this way was because I wasn't putting quality food in my body. I have made a lifestyle change, which includes making healthier choices. The healthier choices are not as calorie dense as the crap food I was eating. I find myself at 800-1000 calories a day, and am trying some of the afore mentioned ideas. Instead of plain oatmeal in the morning, I try to add peanut butter or dried fruit. I have been adding a few tablespoons of 2% shredded cheese to my salads. And I am still trying to drink milk (:p). Just adding a few servings of healthy, higher calorie foods has helped me get to 1200-1300. And- real hot weather dampens my appetite, too. Best of luck!
  • rachelwarner32
    rachelwarner32 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Having trouble eating 1200 calories is a problem?! Aren't you losing weight at 2 pounds a week which is the recommended amount? If you're trying to lose 130 pounds sounds like you're on track :-)