Muscle Weighs more than Fat?

Options
Virgiree21
Virgiree21 Posts: 71 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So i know this chick who is the same height as me (5'5) and weighs about the same (180). The only difference is i have fat thighs and a belly and she has a pretty flat stomach and slim thighs. Nice's arms ect. She lifts weight's. With that being said if I continue to lift weights and do cardio should I be less concerned about the scale and more focused on the measurements? I plan on replacing most of my fat with muscle.

Replies

• NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle.

Muscle is more dense, taking up less space in the body hence a muscular person could weigh the same as a person who is flabby but look completely different. Fat is spread out further in the body.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    No. A pound of muscle and a pound of fat weigh the same. What most people mean when they say that is that muscle is more compact and dense than fat. And yes, if you focus on body recomposition you can trim the fat down.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Virgiree21 wrote: »
    So i know this chick who is the same height as me (5'5) and weighs about the same (180). The only difference is i have fat thighs and a belly and she has a pretty flat stomach and slim thighs. Nice's arms ect. She lifts weight's. With that being said if I continue to lift weights and do cardio should I be less concerned about the scale and more focused on the measurements? I plan on replacing most of my fat with muscle.

If you continue to lift weights using progressively heavier weight, and do cardio, and are not eating at a surplus, you will let smaller looking. If you are also eating at a small deficit (small, to support your maintaining muscle mass), you will reduce body fat as well. The key to the weight training, as I see it, is to move beyond a gazillion repetitions of light weights that isolate muscle groups and into full body lifts.

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    You can't replace fat with muscle.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Yes, for a given volume, muscle weighs more than fat.

If you are eating at a deficit, the scale is a fairly good meter of how you are doing in terms of fat loss. If you are eating at maintenance (or surplus) and lifting heavy, I would rely more heavily on the tape measure.
  • sgthaggard
    Options
    People are all about semantics today.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    http://myfitnesscyprus.com/3-most-common-mistakes/

Sharing this for the images. I haven't checked the text
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Yes muscle, by volume, weighs more than fat, by volume.

Since you compare things of the same volume to determine if something weighs more than something else the "by volume" is implied.

All this means is that muscle has a higher density than fat.

Because of this fact

Muscle, by weight, takes up less volume than fat, by weight.

In this case I can take 1lb of muscle and 1lb of fat and observe that the lb of muscle looks smaller even though it weighs the same.

These are two sides to finding the same information which is which object is denser. In this case it is still the muscle.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    One day this thread is going to happen and people aren't going to correct what doesn't need correcting

PEOPLE KNOW THAT THE OP MEANS BY VOLUME ...

eat at a calorie defecit and lift heavy

Once you've lost enough body fat, eat at or above maintenance and lift heavy
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Cue my favourite picture

1xaasuyesaqh.jpg
  • sgthaggard
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    One day this thread is going to happen and people aren't going to correct what doesn't need correcting

+1 to all of that but especially the first part.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Will people please get over this thing of telling people that muscle doesn't weigh more than fat? It does no good to point out that a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. That's like saying that a pound of lead weighs the same as a pound of feathers. Of course that is true, but they take up different amounts of space. That is all people mean when they say muscle weighs more.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Virgiree21 wrote: »
    I plan on replacing most of my fat with muscle.

if only it were that simple.
  • Virgiree21
    Options
    Cue my favourite picture

1xaasuyesaqh.jpg

Nice!
  • Virgiree21
    Options
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options

Doubtful.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Muscles is MORE DENSE than fat.
    /thread
    You're welcome.