Muscle Weighs more than Fat?

Options

Replies

• Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to read the replies in this thread, it's so ridiculous when people correct people on this. Everybody knows that when someone says "muscle weighs more than fat" the "by volume" is understood. That's how people talk, it's perfectly acceptable.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Eudoxy wrote: »
    I'm happy to read the replies in this thread, it's so ridiculous when people correct people on this. Everybody knows that when someone says "muscle weighs more than fat" the "by volume" is understood. That's how people talk, it's perfectly acceptable.

I think you're giving the general pubic too much credit.

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    OP didn't say a lb of muscle weighs more than a lb of fat, and nothing in her post indicates that she thinks this either. The lb for lb argument is a strawman erected by people that are little too impressed with themselves over the dull insight that a lb is a lb, and then go out of their way to get all nerdlinger on the room.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

AMEN.

I shouldn't have clicked on this thread. Now I need to punch something.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Yet this only seems to happen when discussing muscle/fat. If I said steel weights more than wood, nobody would correct that because volume is understood.
  • giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Cue my favourite picture

1xaasuyesaqh.jpg

oh man this picture explains it in a ridiculous PERFECT way....clap clap to the poster

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    OP didn't say a lb of muscle weighs more than a lb of fat, and nothing in her post indicates that she thinks this either. The lb for lb argument is a strawman erected by people that are little too impressed with themselves over the dull insight that a lb is a lb, and then go out of their way to get all nerdlinger on the room.

It wasn't OP, it was the ensuing comments.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Muscles is MORE DENSE than fat.
    /thread
    You're welcome.

^^THIS. If people would just use the proper terms, we wouldn't have this issue.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Muscles is MORE DENSE than fat.
    /thread
    You're welcome.

:star:

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Virgiree21 wrote: »
    With that being said if I continue to lift weights and do cardio should I be less concerned about the scale and more focused on the measurements? I plan on replacing most of my fat with muscle.

You can't replace fat with muscle. You can lose fat to reveal the muscle you have, and keep that muscle by hitting your protein goal and lifting. Or you can gain muscle, along with fat. If you eat at a deficit and lift, you'll lose fat and save muscle. If you eat at maintenance and lift, you'll recomp (if you're luckily), slowly losing fat, adding a bit of muscle. Long process.

Either way, lift. You'll look smaller.
  • fatcity66
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    With that being said if I continue to lift weights and do cardio should I be less concerned about the scale and more focused on the measurements? I plan on replacing most of my fat with muscle.

You can't replace fat with muscle. You can lose fat to reveal the muscle you have, and keep that muscle by hitting your protein goal and lifting. Or you can gain muscle, along with fat. If you eat at a deficit and lift, you'll lose fat and save muscle. If you eat at maintenance and lift, you'll recomp (if you're luckily), slowly losing fat, adding a bit of muscle. Long process.

Either way, lift. You'll look smaller.

See, now, if the "muscle weighs more than fat" issue is just about semantics, why isn't the statement "replace fat with muscle" as well? I mean, we all know that the fat is not going to magically turn into muscle. She will have to work to lose the fat, as well as to build muscle. Don't we already know what she means? Just saying...you could use that logic with a lot of things...
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Except this still happens all the time around here...

Person 1: I gained a pound this week! What am I doing wrong?
    Person 2: Oh, you're gaining muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat!
  • Virgiree21
    Virgiree21 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

That's what I clearly meant. I guess not clearly because most thought differently. You live and learn. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Virgiree21
    Options
    Me right now ---> (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻ I meant in volume people, but thanks for the needed and unneeded help.
  • fatcity66
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

IKR?
  • fatcity66
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Me right now ---> (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻ I meant in volume people, but thanks for the needed and unneeded help.

So, you also didn't really mean "replace fat with muscle," right? Just to clarify. :wink:
  • Eudoxy
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Silly, but they would still be trying to reassure them on the grounds of "volume" there.
  • Eudoxy
    edited March 2015
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »

So, you also didn't really mean "replace fat with muscle," right? Just to clarify. :wink:

She was clearly talking about - if she stayed the same weight but changed her body composition then would she be smaller?

"Replace fat with muscle" and "lose fat and gain muscle" strikes me as the same concept.
  • Virgiree21
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »

Lol correct. :)