Trigger foods?

Options
I've seen the term used here an awful lot and I'd like to understand what people think makes a "trigger" food. I'll state flat out that I don't believe in them--to me the term "trigger" anything is just an excuse to lose control. I enjoy food (or I would not be trying to lose weight) and there are foods I enjoy more than other foods. However, I'll entertain any opinions in the interest of being educated--as long as it's done politely and no finger-pointing telling me how evil I am for having my opinion. :) What do YOU think makes a food a "trigger" food? Or do you?

Replies

• maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I believe in trigger foods, for sure. Doesn't mean I believe that just because a craving is "triggered" I have to give in. I find having a high carb/ low protein meal I generally crave something sugary after.

I also find high stress days trigger salty/fatty foods (and alcohol lol). I relate it to like when I quit smoking, certain situations would trigger cravings but it didn't mean I needed to smoke, it just made it harder to quit so at least for a time being I avoided situations I knew would make it hard. Just like I do now in regards to cravings for certain foods I want to avoid.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I hear what you're saying, but what makes that any different from just wanting to eat something you like? I enjoy eating popcorn or peanut butter or pasta--I like eating tater tots with brown gravy when I'm stressed--so is comfort food a trigger food? Is it still a trigger food when you count out your tots and measure your gravy? Just trying to understand here.
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    EVIIIIL!

Nah. :)

Unfortunately, I do have trigger foods. Particular Nutella. One serving isn't enough. It just isn't. I try my hardest to control it but the scent of it, the sight of it, the taste of it - I can eat an entire jar in one sitting. Even if I take one serving and put the jar up in a high off place, I go back for more, sometimes without even consciously realizing that's what I'm doing.

I'd much rather just not have it in the house. I think it has something to do with it being a comfort food some time back - it's an easy go-to to drown out my feelings of woe and self-esteem issues.

Either way, big trigger for my diet to take a turn for the worse.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I kind of don't get trigger foods either. Is it just a food that makes you want to keep eating and eating? I want to eat and eat all the things, that's how I got fat.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    my trigger macro (I would never call it that but for the sake of this thread I will), is carbohydrate. If I eat a higher percentage than my current 5-9%, I need to eat in order to correct the subsequent low blood glucose levels. I crave carbs after. The cravings are insane. There are extreme feelings of hunger. I feel I need to eat more carbs. Now. Because I produce too much insulin..and my body wants me to correct for that asap. And if I do..i feel immediately amazing..for thirty minutes..and then the entire process starts again. So i have to keep my carb macro very low.
  • krysmuree
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I kind of don't get trigger foods either. Is it just a food that makes you want to keep eating and eating? I want to eat and eat all the things, that's how I got fat.

Basically. What foods make you compulsively, mindlessly eat? What foods trigger bad memories? What foods make you slip? That's how I see it.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I think the term is misleading to a degree. It sort of set up an external locus of control. In some addictions and impulse control literature there are those who prefer the term "precursor" since trigger makes it sound like you have no choice in the matter. I used to smoke cigarettes. When I have a couple cocktails it certainly makes me think about having a cigarette because those two things were linked in my experience. But it is not automated. I have a choice.

At the same time it's not that I don't need to be conscientious of these precursors or triggers or whatever social construct we choose to apply to them. When I am drinking I am aware I can't have a cigarette even though I feel the urge to smoke one.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

Basically. What foods make you compulsively, mindlessly eat? What foods trigger bad memories? What foods make you slip? That's how I see it.

I would have a hard time with that nutella too. Basically I'd go back for more, take a few extra licks. Probably end up eating two servings. But it would never come to eating the whole jar (closer to it before MFP days though). Is that the difference between self-control and something being an all out trigger food?
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I've seen the term used here an awful lot and I'd like to understand what people think makes a "trigger" food. I'll state flat out that I don't believe in them--to me the term "trigger" anything is just an excuse to lose control. I enjoy food (or I would not be trying to lose weight) and there are foods I enjoy more than other foods. However, I'll entertain any opinions in the interest of being educated--as long as it's done politely and no finger-pointing telling me how evil I am for having my opinion. :) What do YOU think makes a food a "trigger" food? Or do you?

I disagree.

A lot of people enjoy food - thin people included. Enjoying food doesn't necessarily equate to needing to lose weight, so I'm not quite sure where you were going with that. Weight is a lot more complicated than that.

I'm not sure I necessarily have a "trigger food". I avoid mayonnaise because I can't really enjoy it in moderation, so it's easier for me to just not eat it. It's not a trigger for me - I *can* eat just a little and stop, I just don't enjoy it, so I don't see the point.

I guess the notion of triggers in regards to food is more closely associated with disordered eating - specifically, I would imagine, binge eating disorder. I haven't experienced BED, but I have struggled with the other end of the spectrum, with anorexic and bulimic tendencies, so I can understand how certain foods can be seen as "safe" or must be avoided at all costs. It's not that much of a stretch for me to see how certain foods could trigger a binge.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    I think the term is misleading to a degree. It sort of set up an external locus of control. In some addictions and impulse control literature there are those who prefer the term "precursor" since trigger makes it sound like you have no choice in the matter. . . .

At the same time it's not that I don't need to be conscientious of these precursors or triggers or whatever social construct we choose to apply to them. When I am drinking I am aware I can't have a cigarette even though I feel the urge to smoke one.

This. To me, the idea of a "trigger" food not only gives up responsibility but also control over your own body.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    Velum_cado wrote: »
    I disagree.

A lot of people enjoy food - thin people included. Enjoying food doesn't necessarily equate to needing to lose weight, so I'm not quite sure where you were going with that. Weight is a lot more complicated than that.

I'm not sure I necessarily have a "trigger food". I avoid mayonnaise because I can't really enjoy it in moderation, so it's easier for me to just not eat it. It's not a trigger for me - I *can* eat just a little and stop, I just don't enjoy it, so I don't see the point.

I guess the notion of triggers in regards to food is more closely associated with disordered eating - specifically, I would imagine, binge eating disorder. I haven't experienced BED, but I have struggled with the other end of the spectrum, with anorexic and bulimic tendencies, so I can understand how certain foods can be seen as "safe" or must be avoided at all costs. It's not that much of a stretch for me to see how certain foods could trigger a binge.

You're overthinking what I wrote. I enjoy food. I'm overweight. I got that way by enjoying food. I'm not speaking for anyone other than myself. Please don't divert the topic from what I want to discuss.

• Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Velum_cado wrote: »
    I disagree.

You're overthinking what I wrote. I enjoy food. I'm overweight. I got that way by enjoying food. I'm not speaking for anyone other than myself. Please don't divert the topic from what I want to discuss.

I didn't divert anything. I responded to one point you made, which I feel quite passionate about - that weight is complex and about more than liking food.

I also responded to the topic you brought up.
  • maroonmango211
    Options
    I hear what you're saying, but what makes that any different from just wanting to eat something you like? I enjoy eating popcorn or peanut butter or pasta--I like eating tater tots with brown gravy when I'm stressed--so is comfort food a trigger food? Is it still a trigger food when you count out your tots and measure your gravy? Just trying to understand here.

I think just like anything, its different for everyone. What may be my trigger food or what it is triggered by for me may be different for anyone else. by no means do I think its an excuse to over eat, or the same thing as a cheat day or binge. I think some people just like to be able to clarify their feeling about certain parts of their diet so they can better understand what certain foods are an urge rather than a nutritional means to an end.

• krysmuree
    Options

I would have a hard time with that nutella too. Basically I'd go back for more, take a few extra licks. Probably end up eating two servings. But it would never come to eating the whole jar (closer to it before MFP days though). Is that the difference between self-control and something being an all out trigger food?

I think so, personally. I seriously can't stop at two servings. Or three. Or four. Admittedly, it's the only food I have a problem with! So it's easier to just kick it out of the house. :p
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Food isn't really a "trigger" for me. Stress is the trigger. Bread (warm, crusty, bread) and beer are my comforts. And really, who wants to stop being comforted? That is why it is better for me to not have these things in the house. I know I lack self control when presented with fresh baked loaf of bread or delicious craft beer.
  • krysmuree
    Options
    Food isn't really a "trigger" for me. Stress is the trigger. Bread (warm, crusty, bread) and beer are my comforts. And really, who wants to stop being comforted? That is why it is better for me to not have these things in the house. I know I lack self control when presented with fresh baked loaf of bread or delicious craft beer.

I think this is a very valid point. Stress is a huge trigger for me, in all senses. Food was my comfort. Nutella especially, as I've mentioned - and I still can't consume it without those same feelings associated with it. Same with the beer. I'm not very good at having 2-3 unless that's ALL there is to have.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    I think just like anything, its different for everyone. What may be my trigger food or what it is triggered by for me may be different for anyone else. by no means do I think its an excuse to over eat, or the same thing as a cheat day or binge. I think some people just like to be able to clarify their feeling about certain parts of their diet so they can better understand what certain foods are an urge rather than a nutritional means to an end.

So, what makes a "trigger" food different than a favorite food, then? My problem is really with the term "trigger," since I've seen it used in a way that seems to give people an excuse to go off the emotional deep end. The way you're describing it here, though, is more like saying, "I really like X and I want to eat it, even though I know it has less nutritional value than other foods I eat and really just fills an emotional need." Egg custard. My grandmother used to make it for me. I love it because it's emotionally satisfying. Is that a "trigger" food?
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options

I think this is a very valid point. Stress is a huge trigger for me, in all senses. Food was my comfort. Nutella especially, as I've mentioned - and I still can't consume it without those same feelings associated with it. Same with the beer. I'm not very good at having 2-3 unless that's ALL there is to have.

I agree with the idea of stress or something triggering an urge to eat something, but then isn't the food being eaten a comfort food? I can get behind comfort foods--I love my tater tots and brown gravy--but isn't there still the need for self-control?

I appreciate everyone's respectful points and conversation. I'm still not "getting" the idea of what makes "trigger" foods any different than a mere lack of self-control (internal vs. external locus of control).
  • maroonmango211
    Options

So, what makes a "trigger" food different than a favorite food, then? My problem is really with the term "trigger," since I've seen it used in a way that seems to give people an excuse to go off the emotional deep end. The way you're describing it here, though, is more like saying, "I really like X and I want to eat it, even though I know it has less nutritional value than other foods I eat and really just fills an emotional need." Egg custard. My grandmother used to make it for me. I love it because it's emotionally satisfying. Is that a "trigger" food?

For me at least it would be an imediate in the moment craving for something or feeling because i ate something instead of a planned out decision to eat something I enjoy. That being said though I usually plan out my meals and snacks ahead of time including most treats. If I have a trigger, it is not part of my normal routine and not a thought ahead guilty pleasure.

• krysmuree
    Options

I agree with the idea of stress or something triggering an urge to eat something, but then isn't the food being eaten a comfort food? I can get behind comfort foods--I love my tater tots and brown gravy--but isn't there still the need for self-control?

I appreciate everyone's respectful points and conversation. I'm still not "getting" the idea of what makes "trigger" foods any different than a mere lack of self-control (internal vs. external locus of control).

Absolutely, but why not look at self-control a different way?

You're right that the food I find to be a trigger is a comfort food - but it was used in mass amounts to give the comfort. While I may not be able to control myself from consuming the entire jar, I can walk past the jars of Nutella without putting it in my cart. I have the self-control to say, "No. You have a history of abusing it. It isn't good for you (in the amounts you (I) eat). You're not getting it."