2015 Dietary Guidelines Scientific Report

Options
2»

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    jddnw wrote: »
    Lots of good stuff in snowflakes posts. There is no substitute for real cooking of real food. Unfortunately, our American supermarkets are filled with processed, food-like substitutes for real food, and for all to many people, those food-like substitutes have become the new normal.

Everything has to be convenient and fast. Here there is a movement called "slow food" to counteract "fast food". They are into fresh, famer's market produce and other products--cheeses, hams, sausages, etc. made by small producers. It's quite popular. :)

Nowadays SlowFood is a global organization, and they are also in the US:
    http://www.slowfoodusa.org/#

Been a member since 1990.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My contribution to the slow food movement is to eat with chopsticks.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I don't tend to follow the guidelines, no. Mostly because I don't find them any more credible than anything ELSE the government comes up with. The USDA is subject to just as much political pressure (and influence by money) as any other governmental group, and it shows in things like this as much as anything.

So personally, I look the guidelines over and after researching for myself as best I can, I make up my own mind on what seems reasonable. Usually I end up adopting some of what is recommending, and discarding some as well.

The no added salt thing - as far as I can see, the 'no added salt' only applies for people who have added salt already in whatever processed or preserved foods they eat (canned, jarred, and boxed goods). So it's really a 'no MORE added salt' situation. A case of making guidelines for people to follow since they don't make these guidelines for the food companies to follow instead.

If you don't eat processed foods, it doesn't really apply. I can't eat processed foods (medical reasons), and I actually have to make sure and add salt or I don't get enough sodium daily.
  • michelle3or
    michelle3or Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Just out.
    http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015-scientific-report/

This document will be guiding government policy and the public is invited to respond through May 8.

Lots of healthy eating guidelines that we are familiar with; less salt, less refined sugar, less saturated fat, fewer processed foods, more whole grains, more fruit and vegetables, and more iron for women and teens.

The two recommendations for weight loss are less screen time and fewer restaurant meals.

The report states that a shocking 50% of Americans have a preventable chronic disease (i.e. blood pressure).

Comment? Will you be adding yours?

I ended up spending all day reading this document! ugh... I'm a sucker for research regarding nutrition. Good thing I'm on vacation this week!

For myself, I rarely eat out anymore and my sodium intake some days is less than 1,000mg.

I found this info to be fascinating although not particularly surprising. I, myself, eat very few whole grains, but few refined grains as well. I'm a bit tempted to go buy some oatmeal now!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I cheated. I took a quiz here, got the Coles Notes version.

http://www.wired.com/2014/12/health-iq-quiz-app/