Ladies, advice for fat on thighs

Options
Hi, I already lost 10 pounds 25 to go, I have a lot of fat on my thighs, my legs were always swollen during pregnancy and not their just awful! I didn't do anything special 4 years ago when I lost weight. My legs just got skinny again.

Is there any special excerises I can do for my legs? Is stationary bike better or treadmill ?
TIA!

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Are you lifting weights?
  • heather0709
    heather0709 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I do weight machines at the gyms that are for legs etc.
    Not sure if I should do more weight lifting than cardio? I usually do 40-60 mins on treadmill and then do the weight machines
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there's no way for you to loose fat just on your thighs. Your body is going to choose where it's going to loose the fat. Being female the last places we tend to loose fat is the butt and thighs. Just keep watching your calories and you'll get there.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting (i.e. compound lifts using barbells and/or dumbbells) + deficit + 0.8g/lb for protein as a rough minimum guideline. Cardio 100% optional.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. As you lose, fat will come off from everywhere. Lift heavy.
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Lunge !!!!!!!!!!!
  • heather0709
    Options
    I have no clue what 0.8.g/lb protein is ?

Thanx!!!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Spot reduction of fat is a fallacy. If you want to, squat and lunge away to strengthen your legs and burn more calories and, in return, more fat. Just don't expect that fat to be thigh fat.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    Get the other 25 off and report back ;)
  • ana3067
    Options

Thanx!!!

0.8 multiplied by your weight in pounds = protein gram goal.
  • heather0709
    Options
    Thanks!! I will for sure be reporting once I'm around 128 which is about 18 pounds away to start more toning than cardio :)
  • heather0709
    Options
    So 116g of protein? That's a lot
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options

Thanx!!!

It's a handy formula for figuring out how much protein to eat. I can't tell how much you weigh from your profile, but for example, let's say you weight 100 pounds. 100 x .8= 80. Your target would be 80 grams of protein per day.

Cardio is great for a lot of reasons, but you might find that you tone up better if you lift more. No, you can't spot reduce, but you can build muscle so that you look better when the weight comes off. You also burn fat faster if you have more muscle.

It's not clear for how many minutes you are lifting or how many times a week you are working out. A better mix for you might be more like 50/50...half cardio, half weights. I will admit that I don't do this myself--I have a lot of active hobbies (swimming, dancing) that add a lot of cardio to the mix. I find that just lifting three times a week for 30 minutes does a lot. I should probably do more though!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

That's delicious.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

That's delicious.

NOM NOM....
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

That's delicious.

NOM NOM....

Gimme your steak and potato woman.
  • ana3067
    Options

Not really. I eat 125g as a minimum. I can easily get up to 140+g.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

No, it's not.

Breakfast: 30 grams of protein
    Snack: 10-15 grams of protein
    Lunch: 30 grams of protein
    Snack: 10-15 grams of protein
    Dinner: 30 grams of protein

• sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Jennloella wrote: »
    Get the other 25 off and report back ;)

Yep.

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Spot reduction of fat is a fallacy. If you want to, squat and lunge away to strengthen your legs and burn more calories and, in return, more fat. Just don't expect that fat to be thigh fat.

That's true. People recommend lifting to preserve muscle so that when OP arrives at goal weight she'll have a lower body fat percentage than she would have had if she had only done cardio. But lifting does not spot reduce.