3lb weight gain in a matter of days...WTF is going on?

Options
I haven't eaten brilliantly this week, i am moving house so doing my best but trying to not stress too much about great choices...but i seem to have put on 3lbs in a matter of days and this is madness. Diary is open, i assume this is something to do with water? I was trying to keep to 1200 cals and eating back exercise but mentally i have been finding it hard so decided to switch to 1400cals but not eating back exercise and that has completely thrown me off...

I have been weighing and being as accurate as possible.

Help :(

Replies

• arilongworth
    arilongworth Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I myself find it useful to drink a lot of water or orange juice to keep the hunger away and loose weight!
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    It's just fluctuations, we all fluctuate from day to day, sometimes up to 5lbs. It's just water weight. It'll be gone in a day or two.
  • Charliecatesq
    Charliecatesq Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    It just seemed a like a lot! It was so disheartening to see it this morning
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I put on 4lbs this weekend, its a patten with me. It'll come off plus more during the week, then I'll have a little step back at the weekend again.
  • Charliecatesq
    Options
    I have had retention explained to me on my wall, i had some ready meals and takeaways this weekend as well as salty popcorn and tortillas so i think the salt intake has skewed everything somewhat! I'll just keep drinking water and hope for better news next weigh in i guess. The perils of being addicted to weighing every morning!
  • DemoraFairy
    Options
    The perils of being addicted to weighing every morning!

I weigh every day precisely because of fluctuations. Weighing every day means you can follow your fluctuations, learn what causes them, and know when you're fluctuating. If you weigh once a week and happen to weigh on a day when you're 3lbs heavier, you won't know that it's just a fluctuation. You might get really disheartened when actually you were 3lbs lighter the days before and after, but because you only weigh once a week you won't know. Any expected loss per week is not going to counter the possible fluctuations (since generally the maximum healthy loss per week is 2lbs, and fluctuations can be a lot more than that), so unless you're weighing once a month and your expected weight loss is 2lbs/week I've never understood how weighing less often can counter the problem of fluctuations. I get that for some people it helps them put less emphasis on the scale (though for me it would put waaay more emphasis on the scale), but mathematically I don't get it.
  • Charliecatesq
    Options
    Fair point i suppose, this is the first time since i have been really sticking to dieting that this sort of fluctuation has happened to me, last year i had pretty constant loss and now i am 14lbs lighter its got much much harder...or i am just expecting too much
  • bunnywestley81
    bunnywestley81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I can gain/lose over 7lb randomly for fun. I'd not worry about it.

And I weigh once a week. As long as my overall trend heads downwards I try not to get too upset about the odd few that don't move/go up a bit.
  • Charliecatesq
    Options
    I suppose it was just a bit of a smack in the face as i have struggled the last few weeks, i am not enjoying the process at all and a few losses would have been a nice pick me up.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. Water weight gain sucks. Takes me 10 days to get rid of mine. Keep yourself hydrated and try to de-stress as much as possible. :flowerforyou:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    So you think you've eaten 10,500 over your maintenance calories in 3 days??

doubt it

it's water weight fluctuations - hormonal - ovulation / periods, excess sodium, change-up in exercise

that's why many have a weight goal range - generally of 3-5lbs because it fluctuates day in day out

if you're not enjoying the process, why not? are you following a deprivation diet? have you cut too hard? What are your main challenges?

weight loss is about re-education .. you need to learn how to make the process work for you, in your life because TBH maintenance is the exact same process with a few more calories
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options

Stop weighing so often if you're going to have that reaction you'll just drive yourself mad.
  • Charliecatesq
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

doubt it

it's water weight fluctuations - hormonal - ovulation / periods, excess sodium, change-up in exercise

that's why many have a weight goal range - generally of 3-5lbs because it fluctuates day in day out

if you're not enjoying the process, why not? are you following a deprivation diet? have you cut too hard? What are your main challenges?

weight loss is about re-education .. you need to learn how to make the process work for you, in your life because TBH maintenance is the exact same process with a few more calories

I had said i knew it wasn't food.

I don't enjoy the process of dieting because i enjoy food and to achieve my weightloss goals i have to stop eating the things i like in the volumes i did, its hard to switch your habits and physiological relationship with food as i am sure the majority of people would be able to symapthise with.

I have managed to lose 14lbs before Christmas and getting back on the horse again after mostly maintaining over 3 months is tough. I know what i have to do but lack the enthusiasm
  • Charliecatesq
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »

Stop weighing so often if you're going to have that reaction you'll just drive yourself mad.

I know you are right but if i don't weight myself i start worrying i am just piling weight on even if i am sticking to the right cals, its an anxiety thing i guess
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Just chill out a bit as the extra pressure you are putting yourself will undermine you. It will help if you ploy the readings so you cna see how you fluctuate through the month. New dieters are oftem impatient and have unreasonable expectations, which means when they hit a bump or its not what they were expecting they get frustrated and disheartened. More experienced dieters who have lost more tend to take it in their stride.
  • DemoraFairy
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »

I know you are right but if i don't weight myself i start worrying i am just piling weight on even if i am sticking to the right cals, its an anxiety thing i guess

That's part of the reason I weigh every day. I'd go mad not knowing.
  • Charliecatesq
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Just chill out a bit as the extra pressure you are putting yourself will undermine you. It will help if you ploy the readings so you cna see how you fluctuate through the month. New dieters are oftem impatient and have unreasonable expectations, which means when they hit a bump or its not what they were expecting they get frustrated and disheartened. More experienced dieters who have lost more tend to take it in their stride.

I don't have unreasonable expectations, like i said, i have lost 14lbs but this is the first huge (in my head!) fluctuation i have seen and wanted reassurance is was ok.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

doubt it

I don't enjoy the process of dieting because i enjoy food and to achieve my weightloss goals i have to stop eating the things i like in the volumes i did, its hard to switch your habits and physiological relationship with food as i am sure the majority of people would be able to symapthise with.

I have managed to lose 14lbs before Christmas and getting back on the horse again after mostly maintaining over 3 months is tough. I know what i have to do but lack the enthusiasm

Oh I completely empathise with the psychological connection with food and how hard it is to adjust.

But it's not impossible and it is important that your attitude to food and overconsumption adjusts until you're at a point of enjoying the process .. because as I said it doesn't end.

So if you can find foods you still love that you can eat more freely .. or ways to change previous habits around foods you can adjust to that expectation

I, like many, have always failed with 'diets' because I always thought I'll just lose the weight then I'll be fine .. this time is different because this time I've thought .. how can I make this work for the rest of my life and in the last 9 months my go-to foods, my forethought in meal preparation and planning and my habits have changed .. now my only willpower is involved in sticking to the changes ... but it does get easier IME .. and becomes more natural

it's not an easy process for anyone .. but it does get minimally easier month after month

good luck
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I looked at you past few days and you may have the same problem I had with a recent weight gain..sodium. After a few days of drinking water your weight should come down.
  • Charliecatesq
    Options
    iK NOW I WI

doubt it

Oh I completely empathise with the psychological connection with food and how hard it is to adjust.

But it's not impossible and it is important that your attitude to food and overconsumption adjusts until you're at a point of enjoying the process .. because as I said it doesn't end.

So if you can find foods you still love that you can eat more freely .. or ways to change previous habits around foods you can adjust to that expectation

I, like many, have always failed with 'diets' because I always thought I'll just lose the weight then I'll be fine .. this time is different because this time I've thought .. how can I make this work for the rest of my life and in the last 9 months my go-to foods, my forethought in meal preparation and planning and my habits have changed .. now my only willpower is involved in sticking to the changes ... but it does get easier IME .. and becomes more natural

it's not an easy process for anyone .. but it does get minimally easier month after month

good luck

I know i will get there eventually but it is tough, i think i am putting pressure on myself as a i have a wedding in July to go to and i want to look great, seeing 3lbs appear out of no where does get that little voice in your head saying "why are you bothering" and i would be easier to pack it all in but i am determined to keep going. Thanks for your lovely reply.