Running question...how realistic is this??

Options
racheljonel
racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Is it a realistic goal to go from essentially not running (I can run a mile without stopping, but that is it) to doing a 10 mile trail race in November? November sounds so far away but I'm not sure what it takes to get prepared for something like trail running, and such a long distance.

Replies

• swimriderun16
    swimriderun16 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Start off slow and gradually work your way both faster and further. Just make sure to have a good pair of running shoes so you don't hurt yourself (shin splints suck) and warm up, stretch, and cool down every time. About the shoes, I'd recommend going to an actual running store and getting fit for a good shoe that is designed for trail running. They're expensive but your feet will thank you later.
  • Dichotomy1976
    Dichotomy1976 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Yes it's doable. I would say to do something like C25K to get started and then look up a beginner's half marathon training scheme (i.e. http://www.bupa.co.uk/running/training/training-programmes/beginner-half-marathon/ ). Don't start out too fast or you will injure yourself and you should get through to running your race in November at a much better level of running fitness than you will be at now. It does get easier as you run more so expect the first weeks to seem like you've bitten off too much, but you'll be fine and make great progress after a month or two :)

Good luck!
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Improbable but certainly not impossible. Be careful that you don't injure yourself pushing too hard in training and be aware that walking part of the course is perfectly acceptable.
  • racheljonel
    Options
    Thanks yall...you're awesome!

@Dichotomy1976‌ that chart is really helpful, thanks!
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Follow a plan like c25k and build up your mileage slowly. Maybe joining the monthly running challenge threads as well.

I couldn't run 2 minutes last August and am doing my first HM next month.

Advice you've heard on this thread that common is avoid the temptation to run to fast/much too soon.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ....what it takes to get prepared for something like trail running....

Running on trails?

Anyway, I'd say it's feasible although quite hard work to get there. You'll need to moderate your expectations around time and progress.

I'd suggest starting with a Couch to 10K plan, getting you up to running for an hour. That's about 14-16 weeks long. That's also about 60% of the distance that you'll do on the day.

From there it's reasonably straightforward to use a 10K to half marathon plan to work your way up. A half marathon plan will get you consistently running 10 miles in the remaining time.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Absolutely doable. Take a look at this plan:
    http://www.exrx.net/Aerobic/RunnersEdge/HalfMarathon1.html
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Start off slow and gradually work your way both faster and further. Just make sure to have a good pair of running shoes so you don't hurt yourself (shin splints suck) and warm up, stretch, and cool down every time. About the shoes, I'd recommend going to an actual running store and getting fit for a good shoe that is designed for trail running. They're expensive but your feet will thank you later.

Yes! But seriously, make sure you stretch. And if you start to feel shin splint pain, back off some. I pushed through until I was limping and couldn't go down stairs which led me to a 3 week break in training. Do your stretches and get fitted for running shoes. But it's definitely an attainable goal. Generally you want to increase by a max of 10% each week. Good luck!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend going to an actual running store and getting fit for a good shoe that is designed for trail running.

That depends on the trail.

I'd actually say it would be better to get appropriate running shoes for general training, rather than trail shoes. Trail shoes restrict ones ability to train on harder surfaces, whereas road shoes can be used on trails albeit with some loss of performance.

For a new runner, keep it simple. Follow a plan, maintain a reasonable expectation and avoid overcomplicating things.

• racheljonel
    Options
    gabbo34 wrote: »

I couldn't run 2 minutes last August and am doing my first HM next month.

That is very inspiring....congrats! Good luck!
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    Definitely, last year I went from only running 1 mile warmups before lifting in June to running a full marathon in October. You've got plenty of time (but start now!)
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Yes 100% doable. Start slow though.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I went from couch to marathon (26.2) back in 2008 in about 7 months.

It's very do-able.
  • madchapper
    madchapper Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to anyone saying its improbable... Your body adapts faster than you think and if your nutrition and rest are in check it's totally possible
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Yep, if you can commit to the training I say go for it.

Just a heads up, there are a few things I was unprepared for in my first trail race. Sometimes you have to run in single file so make sure you line up at a manageable pace. My trail pace is about a minute slower than my road race pace. Also, there is something really fun about running down a mountain of a beautiful day that makes you feel like a superhero, have fun and good luck!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    You've got this! Like everyone else, do the C25K first and find a little fun run in your area like the color run!
  • heathbilly
    heathbilly Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Is it a realistic goal to go from essentially not running (I can run a mile without stopping, but that is it) to doing a 10 mile trail race in November? November sounds so far away but I'm not sure what it takes to get prepared for something like trail running, and such a long distance.

Yes , yes , and yes. I started running in October, just 1 mile in 20 minutes. By Feb I ran 14 miles at a 9:30 pace.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    heathbilly wrote: »

Yes , yes , and yes. I started running in October, just 1 mile in 20 minutes. By Feb I ran 14 miles at a 9:30 pace.

Similar story to yours. I could barely run 30 seconds without stopping when I started C25K in October. Running my first half marathon this weekend, have run two 5Ks under 30 minutes, and up to 11 miles on my training runs.

So: YES! Go slow, and you can do it.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I went from couch to marathon (26.2) back in 2008 in about 7 months.

It's very do-able.

Me too! Exactly this (except it was in 2013 and closer to 7 1/2 months) :)

• racheljonel
    Options
    So glad I asked....yall are all SO inspiring! Thanks so much for all the advice and encouragement!