Running question...how realistic is this??

Options

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Down 40lbs about 7 months ago and doing my first half marathon in 2 weeks. Ran 10mi 3 weeks ago with no issues. Yeah - you'll be fine :)
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    It's definitely doable. Definitely follow a plan to resist trying to do too much too soon. Injury can happen easily from over training.

Definitely find out the terrain the trail run is on. I've done trail runs that were fairly flat and then I've done trail runs up and down the side of a ski resort mountain. Train on the type of footing and elevation change you will be racing on.

Don't give up and keep on going. Commit to doing the race and if you don't get as far as you'd like by November I say do it anyways. There is never shame in walking a good bit ;)
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Absolutely definitely. I went from not running to 10 miles in about three months...somehow!
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Will it be ok to build endurance on a treadmill at first? That's where I do most of my running now.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon programs are pretty good too. I used them to train for a half marathon. Good luck!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Will it be ok to build endurance on a treadmill at first? That's where I do most of my running now.

Boring as hel, and it won't get you ready for trail running. It's low quality base mileage, but it'll do if you can't go out into the real.
  • racheljonel
    Options

Boring as hel, and it won't get you ready for trail running. It's low quality base mileage, but it'll do if you can't go out into the real.

I figured as much....I can get out and I will just have to do that. Thanks!
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

For me, trail running is interesting. It's more relaxed, the variety in surface and elevations makes a huge difference to how the run feels and I can see plenty of different things.

Take time, enjoy it.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

It won't hurt and how I do much of my winter training. Most treadmills at least to 15% grade which helps condition your muscles for the variation, but there is no substitute for the real thing.

Depending on the trail and elevation change trail distance can be much more challenging. Walking periodically is an acceptable strategy, especially for your first run.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I went from couch to half marathon in 6 months, so you have plenty of time, especially since you're already running a little bit. Don't worry about the treadmill usage. Set the incline to 1.0 or 1.5 (to simulate wind resistance). My Tuesdays and Thursdays are on the treadmill because I have to get up early to get my miles, but I do my long runs outside on Saturdays. Outside miles are better, but not mandatory. Also, train with a heart rate monitor - it will help you compare your indoor running with your outside running. I've seen lots of people start on treadmills get totally winded outdoors because they don't know how hard they are running. The HRM will tell you.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options

Once you start running outside you will understand why it is called a 'dreadmill'!

I also started as a non-runner and ran my 1st half marathon 10 months later. In addition to all the other great advice already given I would add be consistent. Get a training schedule together (c25k, c210k or whatever works for you) and stick to it (it will be hard at first and there will be days you just don't want to run but do it). Make sure that schedule includes rest days too.
    As @gabbo34‌ mentioned there is a great monthly running challenge group where everyone is very helpful, fun and supportive and runners of all levels participate. Here is the link for the March challenge if you want to take a look. April will be linked from March next week!
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098100/march-2015-running-challenge/p1

Most of all have fun!!
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Boring, but yes. It's ok. Set the incline to 1%.

• MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    It's doable if you are consistent and running at least three days a week. After you get stronger I would do more times per week. And train for trail if that's what you are running. At least one trail run every week and do a strength day on stairs or hill repeats. Follow a training plan if you feel overwhelmed. There are many! Just start searching.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    hermann341 wrote: »
    Set the incline to 1.0 or 1.5 (to simulate wind resistance). .

There's been some discussion in the LDR forum lately about the effect of dreadmill elevation only kicking in when one is running a consistent 6 minute mile.

• blakexx3
    blakexx3 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I think it's doable. I've been running 2-3x a week for probably the last 5 months and just hit running for 50 minutes. I'm probably going to stay around this for a few weeks then go another 5-10 minutes. It's doable but I think it requires patience. For awhile I was just trying to hit 20 min without walking until my body adjusted, then 30 min until I felt consistently comfortable, then I ran 35, then 40, and so on.

• rcontr7
    rcontr7 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Use the MyAsics app!! I love it. I like it a lot better than c25k, or any other apps I've used. It gives you a great training plan before a race!! Also - I couldn't even run a mile in October and ran a 10k this past weekend - didn't start training really until January. I'd say it's totally possible for you to run 10 miles by November. Also - TRAIN IN TRAILS IF YOU'RE RUNNING ON TRAILS!!!
  • rcontr7
    rcontr7 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Also - if it's too hard, go slower. Slower slower slower. I couldn't run because I was always going too fast - speed will come with more miles, is what I've learned. Worry only about distance until you can get some mileage under your belt, not about mile time.
  • racheljonel
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »

Once you start running outside you will understand why it is called a 'dreadmill'!

I also started as a non-runner and ran my 1st half marathon 10 months later. In addition to all the other great advice already given I would add be consistent. Get a training schedule together (c25k, c210k or whatever works for you) and stick to it (it will be hard at first and there will be days you just don't want to run but do it). Make sure that schedule includes rest days too.
    As @gabbo34‌ mentioned there is a great monthly running challenge group where everyone is very helpful, fun and supportive and runners of all levels participate. Here is the link for the March challenge if you want to take a look. April will be linked from March next week!
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098100/march-2015-running-challenge/p1

Most of all have fun!!

Awesome, I will definitely join this!

Thanks so much yall!

• bob108819
    bob108819 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely do this! I would recommend using one of the popular running apps, I use Nike+Running but there are many (mapmyrun, runkeeper, runtastic) to choose from. Using the app will help you track your mileage totals and pace and show you the progress you are making. Running becomes addictive and you will be looking forward to your long runs before you know it. Start out on the road or treadmill with some good running shoes and work your way up to the trails. Good luck and enjoy!!!
  • AmandaLJessop
    AmandaLJessop Posts: 3
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yes- this is realistic. However, it is going to depend how frequent you train. You will need one rest day each week. You should include these types of run in your program:
    -
    1) long slow distance running- this is like steady state running, a pace you could maintain for a while

2) Interval Runs- alternating between short sprints/and slow jog or walk

3) Repetition training- sub max sprint running with work intervals lasting between 30-90 seconds, with recovery.
    4) Pace tempo running- this should be incorporated later on while you build up mileage, but its where you are running at your race pace for 20-30 minutes.

4) Fartlek running- a combo of long slow distance running, running hills, and pace/tempo running

Here is a good article about 4 common running form mistakes that might help you starting out to prevent injuries: http://www.channelyourinnerathlete.com/4-common-running-form-mistakes/