Sugar withdraws

Options
MissTattoo
MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
Why is quitting sugar so hard!?

I used to do cocaine (been clean 9 years this April) and quitting that cold turkey was easier than quitting sugar!

I haven't had a Mt. Dew since the summer. For some reason I just grabbed one from the grocery store last night and had a few sips before dumping it down the drain. It tasted like syrup.

Now I'm at work hiding in my office because I just stood in front of the vending machine for 5 minutes fighting with myself to not get a Mt. Dew or Vitamin Water.

lol

Is this going to be like drugs? Once a sugar addict always a sugar addict?

Replies

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    No such thing. You are not addicted other than in your head. We all have struggled at times but you can do it.

This is a lifestyle change, it isn't that you cannot have a soda, it just has to fit within your calorie goal.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    For many of us, sugar or even non-sugar sweet tastes pique our desire for more. It's not medically addiction or withdrawal but the feeling is real. This is used by food manufacturers to increase our consumption of their products. There is some scientific data out there indicating this effect is not only different for individuals but also may have an ethnicity aspect to the differences. Consider http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11054593 and others.

I'm very susceptible to sweet tastes sending my appetite through the roof. I've cut way back on sugar consumption, eliminated artificial sweeteners, and feel more in control. I was a Diet Coke "addict" -- no, not a true addict but I almost always had a can of diet coke at hand. The way I replaced my soda desire was to change to unsweetened carbonated waters.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I haven't found taking a break from added sugar from time to time especially hard, but on the whole people find it difficult because they have emotional attachments to certain foods or (more commonly) find that they taste good. It's natural for humans to enjoy sweet tastes.

If you find yourself wanting something you don't think tastes good, I'd try to think through what's going on. Is some part of your mind still convinced you will enjoy it? If so, and if you dumped it before, maybe let yourself learn that you don't enjoy it anymore.

For me one thing that has been helpful is becoming snobby about what I will spend my calories on. A truly delicious sweet, like some really high quality chocolate or a special homemade dessert from my friend who loves to bake, sure, I'll fit it in. Some random candy at the office? Not worth what I'd have to give up.
  • MissTattoo
    Options
    I wish it were just in my head, but since I stopped, I've been agitated, have had a dull headache for about 2 weeks now, (which by the way, went away after having a tiny amount of Mt. Dew)

it's the same feeling I had when I stopped cocaine. Just irritated, tired, anxious, headaches, jaw clenching, etc.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    MissTattoo wrote: »
    I wish it were just in my head, but since I stopped, I've been agitated, have had a dull headache for about 2 weeks now, (which by the way, went away after having a tiny amount of Mt. Dew)

it's the same feeling I had when I stopped cocaine. Just irritated, tired, anxious, headaches, jaw clenching, etc.

Did you quit sugar and caffeine at the same time? This sounds like me when I try to quit caffeine cold turkey.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Well wait a second, are you sure it's the sugar you are addicted to and not the caffeine? Your symptoms sound a lot like a caffeine addicition.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    So you're not eating fruits either?

Those have plenty of sugar.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    techgal128 wrote: »
    Well wait a second, are you sure it's the sugar you are addicted to and not the caffeine? Your symptoms sound a lot like a caffeine addicition.
    It does sound a lot like caffeine withdrawal. And a few other things. (PMS). Good luck OP!
  • shereenasjc
    shereenasjc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Im a recovering pastry addict. Lol. Pies, Donuts, Fudge bars... etc. Herbal teas help. Even drinks that are aimed for Diabetics helped. Talk to your doctor first though, to make sure it's ok for you! I'm not Diabetic, but it helps regulate my sugar cravings.
  • emmalouwho2
    Options
    I have cut out all my fizzy drinks and only drink water and green tea and it's killing me I just want Dr p but not drinking them has cured my migraines but sugar is the devil
  • kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have cut out all my fizzy drinks and only drink water and green tea and it's killing me I just want Dr p but not drinking them has cured my migraines but sugar is the devil

I've found that sparkling water (no sweeteners, no sodium) is a great substitute for pop. It satisfies the "fizzy" craving.
  • ivoluntas
    ivoluntas Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Soda was the easiest for me. Now I only taste the syrup and it becomes less appealing. Lowering my sugar around the same time as my period hasn't been easy. I drove past some dried Mudd the other day and started craving brownies. Lol. But it's temporary. I have read drinking a lot of water helps. I like to load mine with lemon juice. It helps with the cravings.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    sugar is the devil

You mean Satan specifically or just one of the fallen angels? I'm thinking Belial might be the most likely, but it's been a while since I read Paradise Lost.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    sugar is the devil

You mean Satan specifically or just one of the fallen angels? I'm thinking Belial might be the most likely, but it's been a while since I read Paradise Lost.

You're my favorite. :flowerforyou:

OP: I think it might be the caffeine, or lack thereof, as well.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    sugar is the devil

Ahh Milton. You made me smile. :flowerforyou:
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    ;-)
  • MissTattoo
    Options
    MissTattoo wrote: »

Did you quit sugar and caffeine at the same time? This sounds like me when I try to quit caffeine cold turkey.

I still drink a small amount of caffeine in the morning. I can't have a large coffee anymore because the caffeine causes a pain in my armpit. If I have a small or medium, I'm okay, but if I get a large, my stomach starts hurting and this pain comes back.
  • MissTattoo
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    So you're not eating fruits either?

Those have plenty of sugar.

I still eat those. I've cut out added sugar. I was consuming a lot of it. My latte in the morning had 50 grams of sugar in it!
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    When I quit added sugar I thought the first two weeks were really rough. I didn't have all the symptoms you do, but I did have headaches...which were mild, and nearly constant cravings...which were very strong. After a couple of weeks it got much better, and gradually went away completely.

I have made the change permanent...both because sugar triggers cravings and eating more sugar for me and because I feel better without it...more energy, no sluggishness and big energy level swings. Also, I just feel it is healthier to not eat that stuff on a regular basis. Hang in there, it gets easier.