Sugar withdraws

Options

Replies

• WahachankaKicin
    WahachankaKicin Posts: 101
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Excess sugar (fructose) consumption is linked to a condition called Leptin Resistance. Leptin is a hormone that tells you when you've had enough food. The problem is, we often ignore the signal our brain sends to us. For some people though, leptin simply does not want to work, leaving the person with no signal whatsoever that the body has enough food to function. This in turn can lead to over consumption of food and consequently, obesity. Why the silent killer? Because it all happens without symptoms or warning bells.

When embarking on a sugar-free mission, try to keep the long-term goals at the forefront of your mind. Keep reminding yourself of how much you'll enjoy feeling stronger and healthier, or how you'll enjoy better-fitting clothes.

Take a week or two to monitor exactly when the cravings hit. Then figure out what the cues are — like stress, boredom, emotional downers or the need for a distraction.

In these moments when the cravings hit, pause and think about what you need or do not need to eat at the moment. Are you actually hungry? Can you fulfill the need another way, like taking a quick walk?

Find new foods that are rewarding, like new kinds of nuts and fruits, and keep them around. "Our environment always shoves in our face hyper-rewarding foods, and we can't control that. "We can keep foods we do like around, so that if we find ourselves in a bad mood, with cravings, we're not setting ourselves up to fail."

Exercise. A recent brain imaging study found that cardiovascular activity may repair the part of the brain affected by food addiction. It also found that people who exercise regularly had a lower "reward response" to images of palatable food.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    sugar is a powerful addiction but for me once i quit it, i am good to go til PMS. This is why i dont believe in cheat days. once you give in to sugar, you want more and more
  • BritDillinger
    Options
    No, no. Haha. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, I promise. I feel your pain. Going very low carb means not consuming things with added sugars. I will be naughty every once in a while and drink a Coke Zero Cherry because it’s made from sugar alcohols, but other than that I consume foods that are higher in dietary fiber, lower in lactose or fructose (natural sugars found in dairy and fruits) or foods that contain old trace amounts of sugars at all.

Have fun drinking your water! Get a bottle with one of those fusion baskets in it. Drop fruit in it and enjoy. Or lemon juice, lime juice, anything to liven it up a bit if you need to. If you want to treat yourself every once in a while, diet beverages contain 0g natural sugars. Sugar alcohols are secreted from the body when you urinate.

As far as foods go, go for healthier options without added sugars. Or look up low carb recipes. It will definitely help move past the sugar addiction. You don't have to be a low carber to enjoy the meals, after all. :)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    MissTattoo wrote: »
    jkwolly wrote: »
    So you're not eating fruits either?

Those have plenty of sugar.

My latte in the morning had 50 grams of sugar in it!

Are you sure about that? That sounds like an awful lot.
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I have cut out all my fizzy drinks and only drink water and green tea and it's killing me I just want Dr p but not drinking them has cured my migraines but sugar is the devil

giphy.gif
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

I still eat those. I've cut out added sugar. I was consuming a lot of it. My latte in the morning had 50 grams of sugar in it!
    Yeah, there's no difference.
  • jkwolly
    Options
    MrCoolGrim wrote: »
    I have cut out all my fizzy drinks and only drink water and green tea and it's killing me I just want Dr p but not drinking them has cured my migraines but sugar is the devil

giphy.gif

HAHAHAHA how'd I miss this?
  • jkwolly
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    No, no. Haha. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, I promise. I feel your pain. Going very low carb means not consuming things with added sugars. I will be naughty every once in a while and drink a Coke Zero Cherry because it’s made from sugar alcohols, but other than that I consume foods that are higher in dietary fiber, lower in lactose or fructose (natural sugars found in dairy and fruits) or foods that contain old trace amounts of sugars at all.

Have fun drinking your water! Get a bottle with one of those fusion baskets in it. Drop fruit in it and enjoy. Or lemon juice, lime juice, anything to liven it up a bit if you need to. If you want to treat yourself every once in a while, diet beverages contain 0g natural sugars. Sugar alcohols are secreted from the body when you urinate.

As far as foods go, go for healthier options without added sugars. Or look up low carb recipes. It will definitely help move past the sugar addiction. You don't have to be a low carber to enjoy the meals, after all. :)

I love when people start their journey, go low carb then run around the forum preaching that it is so awesome while at the same time getting all their information from biased carb sites.
    We can just laugh as we eat all them yum carbs while posting in response to their lunacy.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options

My latte in the morning had 50 grams of sugar in it!

Are you sure about that? That sounds like an awful lot.

Yes. I checked the Starbucks website:

Nutrition Facts Per Serving (20 fl oz)
    Calories 400 Calories from Fat 140
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 15g 23%
    Saturated Fat 9g 45%
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 60mg 20%
    Sodium 210mg 9%
    Total Carbohydrate 52g 17%
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    Sugars 49g
    Protein 15g
    Vitamin A20%Vitamin C2%Calcium50%Iron0%
    Caffeine 150mg**
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options

I still eat those. I've cut out added sugar. I was consuming a lot of it. My latte in the morning had 50 grams of sugar in it!

My nutritionist said natural sugar from fruit is okay. It's the added sugar that I've cut out. So there is a difference between an apple and a bottle of Mt. Dew.
  • jkwolly
    Options

I love when people start their journey, go low carb then run around the forum preaching that it is so awesome while at the same time getting all their information from biased carb sites.
    We can just laugh as we eat all them yum carbs while posting in response to their lunacy.

Yeah but they dissappear so soon. Luckily the revolving door is always active.

1200 calorie thread over in general is a gongshow, if you want some "fun".
  • jkwolly
    Options

My nutritionist said natural sugar from fruit is okay. It's the added sugar that I've cut out. So there is a difference between an apple and a bottle of Mt. Dew.
    Sucrose, glucose and fructose are the exact same molecules, whether you're talking about a teaspoon of sugar in coffee, or an apple. Molecularly they are exactly the same, and biologically, the human body digests them exactly the same.
  • RedHotMamaGirl
    RedHotMamaGirl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Miss tattoo, what's important here is that you are realizing the effect of these products on your body. "Addicted" or not, you have taken a big step in realizing what they do to you, personally, with your physiology. That's a huge step because it means that you can decide how to respond and how much you want to let Mountain Dew, coffee, sugar, or whatever affect your body.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Yeah but they dissappear so soon. Luckily the revolving door is always active.

1200 calorie thread over in general is a gongshow, if you want some "fun".

Not sure I can handle that much derp until I have at least one more cup of coffee
  • christmaseve70
    christmaseve70 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am trying to cut out sodas (coke a cola) and breads and pastas and i feel like im goingnuts already. I can sympathize. Im 44 and was brought up drinking mcdonalds cokes, Tab, and Diet Rite. Drinking water just didnt happen in our house. Its a hell of a hard habit to break.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

on a molecular level, there is no difference at all. the only difference between eating some fruit and drinking a Dew is that you get actual micro nutrients with the fruit...and probably a Mt Dew is going to have slightly more sugar than a piece of fruit...but on a molecular level, sugar is indeed sugar....which is why the whole addiction thing is utter nonsense.

you have an affinity for junk food...and you are probably experiencing caffeine withdrawals...and you're making a spurious correlation that you are addicted to sugar...but only some kinds of sugar...doesn't work that way; you're either addicted to sugar in all it's forms and intake modalities or you're not.