2»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    emily9423 wrote: »
    emily9423 wrote: »
    I usually lose around two pounds a week. Yes I count calories and I don't think excess sugar from fruit is making me gain weight but the fusion has around 30 grams per 8 ounce glass. I already get about 40 and sometimes more grams of sugar from eating whole fruit each day. I think that if my body isn't using the sugar for energy it could end up slowing down my weight loss a bit.

The low sodium varieties of regular V8 have 140 mg of sodium.

If you're eating at a deficit, then your body will use what you eat for energy. Sugar doesn't factor into it. Sugar can't make you gain weight if you are eating at a deficit.

I didn't know that! That's interesting; I always thought if you are eating sugar filled junk even at a deficit it would hinder weight loss. Good to know; not that I'm going to go eat a bunch of sugar filled junk but I won't worry so much about how much sugar I'm getting from fruit.

This is where I was going earlier. :) A calorie is a calorie. Eat too many and you'll gain weight whether the calories are from pure fruits and vegetables or "junk food". By the same token, eat fewer than your body needs, regardless of the source, and you'll lose weight. As we say around here, it's all about CICO (calories in vs. calories out). Enjoy your V8 and keep on with the good fight!

That's oversimplifying it a bit. A calorie is a calorie but it's easier to drink 200 calories of apple juice than to eat 200 calories of apples. And for people who have issues with insulin resistance or similar blood sugar maladies, the amount of dietary sugar *does* matter.

Although whether that sugar comes from fruit or a sack of sugar doesn't technically matter I guess.

I find lots of calories easier to eat than others, but that doesn't change that CICO is how weight loss works.

And crafting general dietary advice based on the needs of people with specific conditions just doesn't work. I love peanuts, but they're terrible for people with peanut allergies. Lots of people here include dairy products in their diets, but someone with lactose intolerance can't.
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options

I find lots of calories easier to eat than others, but that doesn't change that CICO is how weight loss works.

And crafting general dietary advice based on the needs of people with specific conditions just doesn't work. I love peanuts, but they're terrible for people with peanut allergies. Lots of people here include dairy products in their diets, but someone with lactose intolerance can't.

Yes, I understand fundamentally how calories in, calories out works. I feel like there's a big push on the boards to just yell "CICO!" at the mere suggestion that there is strategy involved in weight loss/gain, or that there is slightly more to it than "eat less, move more".

I can drink 1900 calories' worth of Frapuccino every morning and lose weight if it's below my maintenance level. But I'll be miserable and hungry for 15 hours.

If this was a bowling board, CICO would be the equivalent of just telling everyone to bowl strikes. "Just bowl strikes! That's how you win."

This is technically true but it ignores what I'm sure are all of the finer points of how one bowls those strikes.

To the OP, the juice is fine if you can fit it in your calorie goals. I would say that fruit juice can be a gotcha if you aren't aware of how large a serving you're getting and how many calories are in it.

Is the sugar in the juice inherently bad? No.

Does the sugar in the juice run the calories per serving way up? Yes.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Yes, I understand fundamentally how calories in, calories out works. I feel like there's a big push on the boards to just yell "CICO!" at the mere suggestion that there is strategy involved in weight loss/gain, or that there is slightly more to it than "eat less, move more".

I can drink 1900 calories' worth of Frapuccino every morning and lose weight if it's below my maintenance level. But I'll be miserable and hungry for 15 hours.

If this was a bowling board, CICO would be the equivalent of just telling everyone to bowl strikes. "Just bowl strikes! That's how you win."

This is technically true but it ignores what I'm sure are all of the finer points of how one bowls those strikes.

To the OP, the juice is fine if you can fit it in your calorie goals. I would say that fruit juice can be a gotcha if you aren't aware of how large a serving you're getting and how many calories are in it.

I have never seen anyone on this board argue against the idea certain foods promote satiety, and satisfaction on a weight loss plan, more than others do. In fact, when you see posts where people complain about being hungry, you will frequently see the advice to switch up certain foods. In this particular post, the OP was already drinking juice. She made the switch because she was concerned about sugar. There wasn't anything about being hungry and miserable.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    It's neither.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options

That is a good analogy and an interesting way of looking at it.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

The point I was making had to do with the OP's realization that foods with sugar don't slow weight gain. I'm not sure where you found an argument that I was suggesting she go on a Twinkie or Frappucino diet. You're making an argument where none existed.
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    That's fair; I did hijack the thread. Apologies.
  • kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I like your analogy, but I think "If you bowl only strikes, then you will win" is more apt. If someone doesn't know the rules of the game, they have no chance of winning.

Edited to fix quoting mishap.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    kampshoff wrote: »

I like your analogy, but I think "If you bowl only strikes, then you will win" is more apt. If someone doesn't know the rules of the game, they have no chance of winning.

Edited to fix quoting mishap.

You got schooled son!! etc. ;)

• ColoradoGrl
    ColoradoGrl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I frequently drink the low sodium original version... It is healthy and a good source of potassium as well as tomato lycopenes. If, like me, you eat moderately low carb (70 net grams), it an be hard to make sure you get enough potassium, so I find it very useful.