Stop the "I wish" body envying

ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,901 Member
"I wish I had her body"
"I wish I had her calves"
"I wish I had his shoulders"
"I wish I had his proportions"
"I wish I were taller like my friend"

Wishing for these aren't likely to come true for lots of people. Because if you're wishing, then chances are you're hoping you have a chance to have that body or body part you envy. Truth is for most (notice I said most)is that you're stuck with the genetics you got and you can only work with what you've got.
If you want an hour glass figure, but aren't built that way, wishing for it isn't going to happen.
Same if you're shorter than average, wishing for it ain't gonna make you taller.
You're dealt the cards your dealt, so you make the best hand you can.
Everyone is unique in their own way. That's what's defines us apart from someone else. So work on yourself the best way you can and quit wishing for something that may not physically pertain to you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• KirbySmith46
    KirbySmith46 Posts: 198 Member
    Thanks a lot for squashing my dreams! :)
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    But I wish I was buffed like @ninerbuff :p
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    I wonder how many mean people threads this is going to spawn.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Cant say ive ever done that. You do see people at the gym and think I wouldnt mind that and then I think how long it will take me. is that sort of aspirational target setting allowed?
  • ninerbuff
    Hopefully not many because the reality is wishing for changes like these are just futile. Time spent on envying others physical attributes may make one feel inadequate about themselves. It's one thing if it can be achieved (like learning a skill, getting a degree, etc.) but another if there nothing that can be done to change outcome. Some just need to hear it. Time would be better spent on just improving on what body one has.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    You will never stop me wishing I was as hot as JLo. Sorry but nope. :p
  • ninerbuff
    edited March 2015
    999tigger wrote: »
    Cant say ive ever done that. You do see people at the gym and think I wouldn't mind that and then I think how long it will take me. is that sort of aspirational target setting allowed?
    I'm sure you've heard how some try to achieve thigh gap, smaller hips (width), much smaller muscle in legs, etc.
    There's aspirations that are reachable (6 pack abs, more muscle shape enhancement, leaner athletic look), but there are lots and lots of people who will do exercises, diets, and programs to achieve a desired look that they aren't designed for.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Good message and I heartily agree. I might admire another person's physique but I'm not trying to obtain it. Instead, I'm trying to be the best me that I can be.
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Me wishing I had another person's figure has zero effect on you or anyone else, so I'll go right on wistfully wishing. It's in most people's nature to compare ourselves to others who are perceived to be better, and wanting people to basically 'get over it' is about as easily done for them as trying to push a boiled egg through a keyhole intact, and the suggestion is about as useful. It's great that you're so accepting of yourself that you don't feel the need to wish for a change, I envy you that, but you can't seriously think that saying 'stop it, it's pointless' actually makes a difference to the way the majority of people think.
  • Honestly, do you really think someone who says, "I wish I had her calves" just sits there wishing and not doing anything about it?

I wish for a lot of things in my life. Each step brings me closer to my goals. I wish for calves I may not be genetically predisposed to ever have, but I sure as heck am going to try.
  • ninerbuff
    edited March 2015
    Me wishing I had another person's figure has zero effect on you or anyone else, so I'll go right on wistfully wishing. It's in most people's nature to compare ourselves to others who are perceived to be better, and wanting people to basically 'get over it' is about as easily done for them as trying to push a boiled egg through a keyhole intact, and the suggestion is about as useful. It's great that you're so accepting of yourself that you don't feel the need to wish for a change, I envy you that, but you can't seriously think that saying 'stop it, it's pointless' actually makes a difference to the way the majority of people think.
    Some people need to hear the actual truth sometimes so that they can divert energy to the actual effort and time they use to better themselves rather than beat themselves up for not measuring up to the people they envy.
    When you agree or not, unless one goes through some serious surgery or enhancement of some sort (which doesn't always turn out right), the chances of obtaining the body or shape of an envied idol when one doesn't have any of the traits in common is ZERO. A female with a hips narrower than her shoulder girth isn't going to have an hour glass figure. Nor is a male with a bird chest going to build squared off pecs. It's not the fault of the person, it's life imposing genetics on that person.
    The suggestion will be accepted by some and rejected by others. Putting out there doesn't hurt you or deter you from doing what you want to do.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Honestly, do you really think someone who says, "I wish I had her calves" just sits there wishing and not doing anything about it?

I wish for a lot of things in my life. Each step brings me closer to my goals. I wish for calves I may not be genetically predisposed to ever have, but I sure as heck am going to try.
    One of my good friends has high insertion points on his calves. They look like Shawn Crawford's here in the middle:
    shawncrawford_1713422a_zpszwsakmtl.jpg

He was doing every calf exercise 2 times a week for over a year to see if he could change their look. Well they did get stronger and slightly more defined, but it didn't change the shape at all. Now he just trains them on leg day and accepts them. Shawn Crawford will NEVER have the calves of the fellow runners with him, but he did train to beat them in races. Point is, one works with what they have to get the best out of what they have and not try to achieve a look that they aren't genetically predisposed to attaining.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    aimeerace wrote: »
    You will never stop me wishing I was as hot as JLo. Sorry but nope. :p
    Of course it's your prerogative to wish whatever you want! I'm not here to "stop" you. I'm voicing on how to be more productive on improving oneself within the boundries of their own genetics.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    I wish I had a flat belly.... and then I worked hard and I have one - after four kids. sometimes wishing is just the beginning.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited March 2015
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Cant say ive ever done that. You do see people at the gym and think I wouldn't mind that and then I think how long it will take me. is that sort of aspirational target setting allowed?
    I'm sure you've heard how some try to achieve thigh gap, smaller hips (width), much smaller muscle in legs, etc.
    There's aspirations that are reachable (6 pack abs, more muscle shape enhancement, leaner athletic look), but there are lots and lots of people who will do exercises, diets, and programs to achieve a desired look that they aren't designed for.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Cant say I waste my time with the unattainable, better to get on with it and make the most of what you have. Cant say my way of thinking has ever been anuthing but analytical and realistic.
  • ninerbuff
    Jennloella wrote: »
    I wish I had a flat belly.... and then I worked hard and I have one - after four kids. sometimes wishing is just the beginning.
    Congrats. Your goal was attainable. Wishing to attain a body or look that one isn't applicable to was the point of the OP.
    For instance, no matter how much she trains, eats, enhances,etc., Gweneth Paltrow will NEVER look like Kim Kardashian physique wise and vice versa.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Cant say I waste my time with the unattainable, better to get on with it and make the most of what you have. Cant say my way of thinking has ever been anything but analytical and realistic.
    Then chances are you'll achieve what you're shooting for then.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff wrote: »
    Honestly, do you really think someone who says, "I wish I had her calves" just sits there wishing and not doing anything about it?

One of my good friends has high insertion points on his calves. They look like Shawn Crawford's here in the middle:
    shawncrawford_1713422a_zpszwsakmtl.jpg

He was doing every calf exercise 2 times a week for over a year to see if he could change their look. Well they did get stronger and slightly more defined, but it didn't change the shape at all. Now he just trains them on leg day and accepts them. Shawn Crawford will NEVER have the calves of the fellow runners with him, but he did train to beat them in races. Point is, one works with what they have to get the best out of what they have and not try to achieve a look that they aren't genetically predisposed to attaining.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So what?
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    Thanks for this, it's hard to not look at others and covet the way their bodies look. For me, I LOVE the way hourglass and pear shaped women look, and wish I looked like that so much. But alas, I'm an apple shape, and look top heavy. No matter what I do, I always will look like that, because everyone in my family does. But it's something I'll have to learn to love about myself, and thankfully I have a husband who happens to love the apples. ;)
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited March 2015
    this made me think of my grandma she always said " If wishes were horses beggars would ride and if wishes were fishes we'd have some to fry" Wise lady

I wish I was a little bit taller....... I wish I was a baller....... I wish I had a gi.....ah no nevermind. Come on somebody had to reference it.