Peanut butter ??

Options
A few people have told me peanut butter is good for you on a diet but I can't think how ? Can anyone help with this please, I do luv peanut butter on toast but can't see how it's good at all lol

Replies

• NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    It's high in protein. And it tastes amazeballs, what else matters? Ha ha ha!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    It's high in calories and has protein and fat. As for being good in a diet I do not know, unless your struggling to eat enough calories...
    I never have enough calories left at the end of the day for a piddly tablespoon of PB let a lone a big fat yummy sandwich! :cry:
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is a handy portable protein and pairs nicely with say, apple slices or celery. It satisfies.

Because of it's high calorie count, measure in tablespoons, not a half-cup!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    As long as it fits into your calorie goals for the day, its fine. Its not going to speed up weight loss, nor will it hinder weight loss.
  • mollypw1994
    mollypw1994 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Have you tried PB2, made by Bell Plantation? It's powdered peanut butter that you add water to. I know, it sounds disgusting! BUT, it's actually REALLY good, and only 45 calories for 2 tbsp. I highly recommend it - good protein and very satisfying! I pair it with bananas or toast or apples. Definitely satisfies the pb craving!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It's delicious and a nice source of fat. Some of us need some help filling in our fat intake. A small spoonful of peanut butter or almond butter is a very satisfying way to do that. Plus it's really tasty and very satisfying. Fats are important to consume for satiety.

Just carefully weigh your portion, and you'll be fine.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I wish we had Pb2 here. I tried the "natural" low salt/sugar PB the other week, it was bloody disgusting! I threw the whole jar in the trash :cry:
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    It has good fat i it, which is essential for your health.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    ...and then I found out that all the vitamins in Peanut Butter are in the fat! PB 2 is protein only.
  • fish2find
    fish2find Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    When I 1st heard I could eat PB on a diet I was pretty excited. I later found out its not the JIF and Skippy they are referring too. Its the natural stuff with no added sugar that can fit in on a diet.
    Im sure many can do the "good ones" still, but my doc said NO. LOL
  • fish2find
    fish2find Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Have you tried PB2, made by Bell Plantation? It's powdered peanut butter that you add water to. I know, it sounds disgusting! BUT, it's actually REALLY good, and only 45 calories for 2 tbsp. I highly recommend it - good protein and very satisfying! I pair it with bananas or toast or apples. Definitely satisfies the pb craving!

My daughter loves that version of PB.

• betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is soo yummy! It has good fats that we need. But bang for your buck when it comes to protein per calorie its not even close to say eggs, cheese, turkey/chicken breast. I just doesnt fit into my calorie allowence. One or two tablespoons does not satisfy and its easy to consumer hundres of calories of it. If it its in yours then go for it. Just make sure you are measuring it in grams. Its easy to go over and a little goes over big time calorie wise.
  • angelgreathouse9
    angelgreathouse9 Posts: 103 Member
    Options

I got some powdered peanut last weekend at Sam's wholesale it's PBfit by better body ... it's yummy ;) ... it has 55 calories... still not bad though
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i loooooooooove peanut butter.

i use the PB2 for my fix though - im not willing to sacrifice that many calories usually for the real stuff, most times LOLOL

But if I were going to eat, say a PB & J sammich..... it'd be the real stuff! LOL!
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I eat tons of pb and and coconut butter. They are great, they really help with curbing appetite. The fat takes longer to digest. You need fat in your diet and pb and coconut are healthy fats along with stuff like olive oil, avocados, nuts, fish, and certain oils. Just make sure you stay within your calories and macros. You want to balance your fats with everything else.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    ...and then I found out that all the vitamins in Peanut Butter are in the fat! PB 2 is protein only.

But when I'm stirring it into yogurt or adding it to a protein shake, I just want the flavor. I'll save the calories then!

I have both regular PB and PB2 in my kitchen. I use them for different things.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I wish we had Pb2 here. I tried the "natural" low salt/sugar PB the other week, it was bloody disgusting! I threw the whole jar in the trash :cry:

PB2 tastes a LOT like that lol (Which isnt my fave but again, for a FIX, it works ok)

ive learned its better ON something (toast, apples, etc) than by itself.

real PB i can sit and eat the jar by the spoonful.....
  • angelgreathouse9
    angelgreathouse9 Posts: 103 Member
    Options

i did the same thing ! yuck! ... order the good stuff on line :) i believe i saw it on amazon
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    It's high in calories and has protein and fat. As for being good in a diet I do not know, unless your struggling to eat enough calories...
    I never have enough calories left at the end of the day for a piddly tablespoon of PB let a lone a big fat yummy sandwich! :cry:

I don't think that peanut butter is all that high in calories. If I have two pieces of toast, one tablespoon is far more than enough for me to cover both pieces, and that only equals half a serving which is 90 calories of the brand I use.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I am not to be trusted with a full jar. I really like the pre measured 2T containers or packets so I don't overdo it. Definitely on my snack list.