Peanut butter ??

Options

Replies

• maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter (I prefer the kind that has two ingredients: peanuts & salt) has about 8 g of protein, 16 g of fat (much of it monounsaturated, which has health benefits), about 2 g of fiber and various phytonutrients (good for you) per 32g serving, for ~200 calories. It can certainly be a part of a healthy diet - a person just has to accommodate the calorie load (and not have peanut allergies).
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I diligently weighed out 20g of pb to put into my protein smoothie. I needed a magnifying glass the serving was so small :grumble: And I couldn't even taste it in there!! Double that amount would have maybe worked. There went 130 calories for nuttin' :noway: And I still had the craving fir it afterwards...
  • Rampant328
    Rampant328 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You want to get natural organic peanut butter. Peanuts are prone to get mold (this is why you want organic) and natural peanut butter, besides tasting much, much more like peanuts than the regular stuff does not contain all of the hydrogenated oils and chemical stabilizers that the regular stuff has. Those terrible for your health additives make peanut butter firm at room temperature so that it doesn't run off of your spoon or bread but they ARE NOT good for your health. Also, anymore than one to two tablespoons of natural (or the regular stuff) per day will probably mess with your nutrition/calorie numbers. The natural fats can be taken out of peanut butter and then what's left are dried peanut flakes that they make into fat free peanut butter but it tastes like plastic, not very appetizing. P.S. Natural peanut butter has natural oils that separate from the solids (you'll see the separation through the jar) so you just have to stir it to make it homogeneous.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I use it as a treat with an apple when I have a lower calorie day. Or spread it on a piece of toast for breakfast. If it fits your calories, it's a great food in your wheel house!

I noticed a couple of people mentioned PB2 - I bought it, I tossed it. I think it's disgusting!

• Christine_72
    Options
    @Rampant328‌ my health food store sells the natural peanut butter, but it doesn't have any nutritional details on the pack. Do you think the calories etc would be the same as the kraft PB I have here?
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Rampant328 wrote: »
    You want to get natural organic peanut butter. Peanuts are prone to get mold (this is why you want organic) and natural peanut butter, besides tasting much, much more like peanuts than the regular stuff does not contain all of the hydrogenated oils and chemical stabilizers that the regular stuff has. Those terrible for your health additives make peanut butter firm at room temperature so that it doesn't run off of your spoon or bread but they ARE NOT good for your health. Also, anymore than one to two tablespoons of natural (or the regular stuff) per day will probably mess with your nutrition/calorie numbers. The natural fats can be taken out of peanut butter and then what's left are dried peanut flakes that they make into fat free peanut butter but it tastes like plastic, not very appetizing. P.S. Natural peanut butter has natural oils that separate from the solids (you'll see the separation through the jar) so you just have to stir it to make it homogeneous.

Doesn't organic make it more prone to mold?

I am fine with Skippy's Extra Chunky. I make sure that I stay within my daily budget.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I use PB2 to flavor things. It can make a chocolate protein drink really yummy. I don't like it as an actual pb substitute on a sandwich or something.

I use real pb for bread and apples, etc. Usually 1 tablespoon is more than enough for me on a piece of toast and for apples too depending on the size. I buy trader joe's apples and they are tiny.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    it tastes great, has lots of protein and good fat, and you get a big bang for your buck with 1-2 tablespoons. If you like it, you can make it fit in your macros
  • Christine_72
    Options

I am fine with Skippy's Extra Chunky. I make sure that I stay within my daily budget.

That's what I would have thought as it doesn't have the preservatives and such added.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options

That's what I would have thought as it doesn't have the preservatives and such added.

You refrigerate it after opening - no problems with mold. There is also no added sugar, which for me is a side benefit.

• vschwgrt1
    vschwgrt1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    trader joe's natural, with salt but no sugar or oil added, chunky organic 2 T = 200 cals, with apple slices, yum
  • krystlestar00
    krystlestar00 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    i do 1 tbsp (weighed in grams) of peanut butter on a slice of bread with coffee and milk for breakfast. i started eating it during my last pregnancy because i had gestational diabetes, which thankfully went away after i had my daughter.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    vschwgrt1 wrote: »
    trader joe's natural, with salt but no sugar or oil added, chunky organic 2 T = 200 cals, with apple slices, yum

That's my poison of choice too. So delicious.

• Christine_72
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I was perusing my supplement store and they have the PB2!!! I'll get a jar tomorrow. I'll start by adding it into my smoothies. The calorie difference between it and the real stuff is huge. It better be yummy lol
    I also didn't know which one to get.... They have plain PB and PB/chocolate flavour. Has anyone tried the chocolate one?
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    VAN's whole wheat waffle, with some freshly made PB2 and slices of banana pressed onto it, drizzled with some honey....HEAVEN ON A PLATE I TELL YOU. :-)
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I love Pb2 for my protein shakes or smoothies, but i use the real thing for apples and such. I know everyone says 2Tbsp is nothing, but once i weighed it out, i was actually surprised. It was def enough for an apple. I just slice the apple and dip into the peanut butter so i get flavor but not huge chunks of it like i used to do.
    So far ive only used the plain pb2, but everyone says the chocolate one is amazing so i plan on buying it one of these days.
    Pb2 is one of the things that makes my post gym protein shake bearable!
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Awesome thanks Jennifer. They're only $11 a jar, so might try both! :bigsmile: I was just worried the chocolate one may not be as nice as it sounds...
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I have peanut butter almost every day...often several spoons full. I get the natural type from Trader Joe's (with salt...pb needs salt). It's only 95 calories per tablespoon...very easy for me to fit it a good amount of it...especially since it adds protein and healthy fats.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter goes really well with chocolate protein powder.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    @Rampant328‌ my health food store sells the natural peanut butter, but it doesn't have any nutritional details on the pack. Do you think the calories etc would be the same as the kraft PB I have here?

The calories shouldn't be too different, although the macros and fat breakdown might be a little off. You could just weigh it and enter it as peanuts, dry roasted (although if you track sodium, that may be off, as some natural peanut butter has salt added).

I eat Smucker's natural creamy, which is just peanuts and salt -- for the taste, not because I believe it's going to make any difference in my health. When I eat peanut butter, I want to taste peanuts, not sugar. Besides, I use it in savory dishes too, like spicy peanut sauce over noodles, and I definitely don't want sugar mucking up the flavor of that.