What to do with English Muffins?

Options
yinkyo
yinkyo Posts: 78 Member
I need some new ideas for what to do with my English Muffins. I mostly use them for breakfast, but have also used them to substitute for bread in sandwiches, as it helps me portion control. I've made a PB, honey and Banana sandwich, french toast, BLT, and an egg breakfast sandwich.

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    They make great mini-pizzas. Toast, top with pizza sauce and cheese (and whatever toppings you like), then broil until cheese is bubbly.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    They make great mini-pizzas. Toast, top with pizza sauce and cheese (and whatever toppings you like), then broil until cheese is bubbly.

Oh this sounds yummy!!! I am going to try this.
    Thanks!!
  • yinkyo
    yinkyo Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    thanks, that does sound delicious! Plus it gets it out of my breakfast rut xD
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I top em with sliced bananas and peanut butter. Yumaroo!

I also make my own mcmuffin with an egg, canadian bacon and cheese slice.

I will also vouch for the mini pizzas!
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hi! I thought you can add some 'healthier' butter/margarine and cinnamon! I know cinnamon is pretty healthy (my dad eats it a lot and is a diabetic) and he also buys butter/margarine that has more natural ingredients (which is also diabetic safe). I've learned that many things diabetics eat are good for weight loss (if they're watching what they eat) b/c they have to watch their sugars, sodium, carbs, etc... I don't know if you use cinnamon for the french toast you've made, but this would taste a little different I suppose.

But, thanks for the ideas! English Muffins would be great for portion control! And back to the diabetic thing, my dad also eats English Muffins, but he buys ones that contain whole grain - are those the ones you buy? If not, it's worth a shot...they should be a little healthier and they taste pretty similar.
  • bonelessskinless
    Options
    this
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Toast then add a slice of Jarlsberg cheese* on one half while still hot, slice of ham on the other half, scrambled eggs on top.

*Emmental or Gouda are alternatives if you can’t get Jarslberg.

Apart from the taste the best thing is that the holes in Jarlsberg, Emmental and Gouda have absolutely no calories. :smile:
  • InstantSunshine
    InstantSunshine Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Or "muffins", as we call 'em. As opposed to "cakes".

Anyway.

I toast them and put an egg on top for brekkie. You can do an egg in the microwave if you turn the power down to about 30% - this is important otherwise they'll explode violently all over your microwave and it'll look like something Ray Haryhausen rejected as too gory. About 2 minutes should do it. Et voila - your own Egg McMuffin, but without the vast amounts of crap and calories. Top tip: use wholemeal ones... way better.

:wink:
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    For lunch, I like to top a toasted english muffin with a bit of cream cheese and a slice of smoked salmon, (I add capers to the cream cheese). I either microwave or warm in the oven until the cheese and salmon warm through.
    You could also make your own muffin with egg and bacon bits and even add some shredded cheddar.
  • mtugglet
    mtugglet Posts: 1
    Options
    Toast them, spread with sugar-free jam and top with fat-free ricotta cheese. Makes a nice snack or dessert. If you want, you can stir some lemon extract into the ricotta.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Toasted muffin, cream cheese, deli lunch meat, slice of tomato or avacado, (warmed in microwave or oven)
    Toasted muffin, tuna, thinly sliced onion and tomato.
    Muffin, chicken breast, avacado
    muffin, shrimp, avacado
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    There's nothing like a bit of English muffin'........................... (british joke, sorry)
  • Kori0714
    Kori0714 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have made turkey burgers and used an english muffin instead of a bun.
  • rburgess7
    rburgess7 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I use them instead of hamburger buns, less bread and they taste great. I grill mine instead of toasting them.
  • Vicki8524
    Vicki8524 Posts: 33
    Options
    I use them instead of hamburger buns, less bread and they taste great. I grill mine instead of toasting them.

This is such a great idea!!!
  • crazedcujo
    crazedcujo Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm boring - just toast them and use spray butter. hahaha
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options

Ooooh! I hadn't even thought to use this way! Guess this means I will buy them in bulk! Hehehe...
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Eggs Benedict burger

20130219_183432.jpg
  • aerynholly
    aerynholly Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Avocado and a fried egg. Seriously.
  • climbamnt
    climbamnt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hi! I thought you can add some 'healthier' butter/margarine and cinnamon! I know cinnamon is pretty healthy (my dad eats it a lot and is a diabetic) and he also buys butter/margarine that has more natural ingredients (which is also diabetic safe). I've learned that many things diabetics eat are good for weight loss (if they're watching what they eat) b/c they have to watch their sugars, sodium, carbs, etc... I don't know if you use cinnamon for the french toast you've made, but this would taste a little different I suppose.

But, thanks for the ideas! English Muffins would be great for portion control! And back to the diabetic thing, my dad also eats English Muffins, but he buys ones that contain whole grain - are those the ones you buy? If not, it's worth a shot...they should be a little healthier and they taste pretty similar.

I have heard there a lot of health benefits from using cinnamon, but 90% of the cinnamon you see in the store is cassia cinnamon made from tree bark. The cinnamon that is supposed to have all the benefits is the ceylon cinnamon and it amazing! So much better than the other stuff!