Eating your exercise

Options

Replies

• hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I stick with the regular routine regardless of the activity.
  • brocej
    brocej Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Nope. I eat (BMR * 1.35) * 0.75 everyday regardless of how much exercise I do.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    It varies by the day. If I have done a lot of cardio and weights and had a busy active day I will have most those calories back IF I have the appetite increase too. When I log my workouts I've already cut it in half from what mfp said I burned. I try to plan ahead as much as possible if I know what type of food I'll be having at a social event etc. After a while it becomes habit.
  • pinkteapot3
    pinkteapot3 Posts: 157 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I just do MFP the way it was designed - using the cal goal it gives me and not worrying about TDEE, BMR or any of the other acronyms on here that confuse me. I eat 100% of my exercise cals and have lost 11lbs in 11 weeks, with it set to a goal of 1lb per week.

I do log both food and exercise with an OCD level of accuracy. All food is weighed, and for exercise I only log my running and cycling. I use apps to record my running and bike rides, so I know the exact speed and time and can log accordingly. If I do something like walk to the local shop (2 mins away) or do a bit of weeding in the garden, I don't log that. Things that don't even raise the heart rate.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    when i was at 1200 cals i ate them all back. i was hungry. so hungry. LOL

upped to 1500 and now (am not hungry LOL!) and will eat back if i am hungry or want a treat but thats about it.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Pretty simple, eat some of them or all of them if you need them.

Deficit= weight loss.
  • rebeccahunt718
    rebeccahunt718 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I try not to because I read an article stating most people tend to underestimate calories eaten and overestimate calories burned. The only exercise calories I count on MPF are what my fitbit calculates. I try to keep myself in a deficit with that and not eat back those calories. However, if I go over my 1200 calorie goal for the day by +/- 100 calories, I don't kick myself over it.

Good luck on your weight loss goals!
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    i do not. i don't even log exercise.
  • SuzyH
    SuzyH Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My most successful weight loss was not even counting the calories burned from exercising. However, (I fell off the wagon!), this time around I log the exercise because I like to see it, but try to keep really close to the calories before exercise. There are days, though, when I am really hungry that I allow myself to eat some of the calories back. Weight loss for me is better, however, not eating the calories back.

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    kpw818 wrote: »
    I do TDEE, eat 1800 daily, and don't log exercise. Partially an experiment, to see if I need to eat more/less. So far its maintenance or just under. I tried to figure in calories burned exercising, and I think I figured too low.

But, this seems to be working overall. I'm not wanting to really eat more than that most days.

If you've only just recently increased to 1800 after eating much lower than this, you're probably just adjusting to it. I wasn't losing on a calorie goal that was LOWER than what I was losing weight on last month - stalls, adjustments, etc all happen. So you need to give it a month or so to see if you lose at all (I don't always follow thsi advice, but I've been doing TDEE for a while now and I've decided I want to lose a bit faster than 0.5lb/week so I lowered my calories a bit again)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    SuzyH wrote: »
    My most successful weight loss was not even counting the calories burned from exercising. However, (I fell off the wagon!), this time around I log the exercise because I like to see it, but try to keep really close to the calories before exercise. There are days, though, when I am really hungry that I allow myself to eat some of the calories back. Weight loss for me is better, however, not eating the calories back.

Because you are increasing your calorie deficit. If your calorie deficit is a goal of 1lb/week or less, then that's okay (although if you find it tough to not eat them back, that should be a clear indication of doing something wrong for your body). If your goal is 2lb/week then ou NEED to be eating them back.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I usually drink them in a long stemmed glass. ::drinker::
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I eat a portion of them... usually about half.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    AmyRhubarb wrote: »
    My goal is to eat as many calories as I can and still lose weight. Like ana3067, I also do the TDEE method, so I know my upper and lower calorie limits. My daily goal is 2000 cals, but I know I can go a bit higher if I want to and I'll still come in under maintenance cals and I won't gain.

^^ this, same method, works a treat :)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I do a lot of cardio which I find leaves me starving. (Love the way I feel after cardio, though) I eat them back. I try to leave a 100-200 calorie buffer since I'm pretty bad about weighing and measuring. That's why I've got myself set at 1200. It makes me go to the gym every day or I'm too hungry.
  • bunnywestley81
    bunnywestley81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Sort of....i go by weekly cal average.

I see my boyfriend at weekends so do all my gyming and tend to under eat in the week and do what i like within reason at the weekend.

My average for this year is 1384 in and 750 out a week. I leave them as some weekends I am a horrible logger/i guess/i eat out/i like wine. I guess it all works out!
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Always eat them back when trying to gain weight/muscle. Not as important during weight loss.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I eat about 75% of the ones I earn from my Fitbit but only about 25% of those I earn from my swimming and water exercise (unless I am really hungry). I am thinking of changing to TDEE, but we'll see. I am currently experimenting with my numbers. 2/3rds of the way to goal and I feel like changing things up a little for the final push.
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them back as a general rule, but I do 'save' some up for weekend treats, or should I say I eat some of them back on a weekend but never more than 50% of what I earned over the 2 days. During the week I stick to my allotted calorie goal regardless of what I have earned with exercise.
  • alexistexas33
    alexistexas33 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I never do, I lost 24 pounds my first month. I eat 1500-1800 calories a day
    I do 600 calorie work outs 5-6 times a week also