Eating your exercise

Options

Replies

• jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm on a very low calorie diet, so I do eat back around 60-70% most days. Otherwise I'm sure I'd be in serious trouble.
  • kristinhowell
    kristinhowell Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Most of the time, I eat all or most. Some days I'm not as hungry and I won't eat as many back to balance out days I want to eat a little more than I burned, lol.
  • scaught78
    scaught78 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use it as a buffer. I don't consciously think "I have to eat them back!" I instead like knowing it is there so I don't freak out if I go over.
  • lizek316
    lizek316 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I try to eat part of them back everyday. Some days I eat all of them back depending on how hungry I am. You just have to listen to your body.
  • Marianne802
    Marianne802 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Is there a different setting on MFP to do the TDEE?
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them back, and it's working for me. (I have been on a weight loss of at least 1 pound per week.) I don't have a food scale, so I know there are times when my entries are an estimate. Regular exercise has given me a little wiggle room in my counting.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I eat most to all of them back because on workout days, I want all the food!
  • rebeccaschlaht
    rebeccaschlaht Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    i have an extra snack of 15 almonds and fruit or cheese and fruit. I do not eat my calories. I dont trust that my 60 minute hike actually burned 750 calories. But I am trying to lose a lot of weight. If I was maintaining or gaining I would eat my calories
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Some days I don't eat any back. Other days, I'll eat all of them back.

As a general rule for myself, I *attempt* to eat no more than 50% back.
  • stw1974
    stw1974 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't make a concerted effort to eat them back, but I know how much I've got 'banked' by the time a Friday night comes around.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

No. you have to go into your settings and change it manually. just don't log any exercise and disconnect any fitness trackers (or ignore any additional calories they give you)
  • kailadriel
    kailadriel Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I eat back all my burned calories, just not necessarily the same day. I eat ~1600 on rest days, ~1800-1900 on workout days, and ~2100-2200 on social events. I burn around 400-600 calories from weight training and cardio 3-5x/week. I am about 5'7" and 185 lbs. I lose on average around 1.3 lbs per week.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    I never do, I lost 24 pounds my first month. I eat 1500-1800 calories a day
    I do 600 calorie work outs 5-6 times a week also

So you're netting like 1000 calories. Cool. Almost a lb a day is not healthy weight loss.

Being healthy by eating enough for your body > super quick weight loss.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Always eat them back when trying to gain weight/muscle. Not as important during weight loss.

Care to elaborate? What if not eating back any exercise calories is causing an extremely large deficit, or quite low net intake which can keep people from getting the proper fuel, nutrition, and could expedite lean muscle loss?

If you are using MFP as designed, yes you eat back your calories. You enter in your info, and weight loss goals and MFP spits out a calorie allowance assuming you will do no exercise. By eating back your exercise cals you are properly fueling your body while still hitting the deficit MFP gave you to lose the weight per your goals.

Example: Lets say the person has a maintenance of 2000 cals, and puts in a 1lb per week loss. MFP spits out the person should eat 1750 to lose that 1lb per week.

Lets say that person goes out for a run and burns 300 cals. Now maintenance is 2300 calories, not 2000, so now that person can eat 2050 to stay in that exact same deficit.

2000cals - 250 MFP cals = 1750 = a 250 cal deficit. 1lb per week loss for individual

2000cals + 300 exercise cals = a maintenance of 2300, so now 2300 - 250 MFP cals = 250 cal deficit for 1lb per week loss for individual.

Keep in mind that MFP can overexaggerate, so many start out by eating back 50% and adjusting from there.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Always eat them back when trying to gain weight/muscle. Not as important during weight loss.

No, I have to disagree. During weight loss many people (myself included) try to minimize lean muscle loss. Eating at an (extra) large deficit week after week doesn't help loss fat & keep muscle.

MFP as designed already gave me a deficit before exercise gets factored in....exercise is extra deficit.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    i do not. i don't even log exercise.

Since this is the 2nd thread you've advised not to, can I ask what you're actually netting since you're going for a gross 1000-1200?
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I do the TDEE method as well, so yes, I end up eating some back.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

You can set personalized goals. You can over ride the numbers MFP gives you, it won't be TDEE exactly because exercise calories will still get added back (can't be turned off). If you want to log workouts make sure you change the calorie count to 1.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I do (well, sometimes I drink them, too). I did when I was losing, I do now that I'm in maintenance, and I certainly will (plus some more) once I am bulking.

Like others, I was concerned about MFP's "notoriety" for over-exaggerated exercise calories. Instead of NOT eating any of them back (or just a portion), I overrode the number with a proper estimate (Google for heart rate based calorie calculators, walking/running calorie calculators, or get an activity tracker/HRM/running app/etc. to do the work for you).

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I eat half back. Sometimes MFP overestimates what I burnt so I figure if I eat half I'm good. I'm still loosing so I'm good.