can't eat fruits and veggies, without throwing up. help

Options

Replies

• marinabreeze
    marinabreeze Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of variation in fruits and veggies. How are they prepared when you eat them? Which ones have you eaten?

My DH is kind of like this - not into vegetables at all. However, he will eat them and likes them when I cook them, probably because I tend to sauté or stir-fry them. If cooking with a little olive oil, it adds a little healthy fat which also enhances flavor. I also change up the spices so it doesn't always taste the exact same.

You don't have to eat fruits and vegetables to lose weight - you just need to eat at a caloric deficit. However - I find that as I have been losing weight, choosing vegetables (fiber) as well as protein over starches and other high-carb foods helps me to feel full while maintaining a deficit.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You probably need help finding some new ways to prepare your veggies. I've got a neurological problem that sometimes makes it so I have trouble keeping raw or steamed veggies down. But I can toss them in a smoothie, roast, or mash them with some success.

But definitely see your doctor-- that's not normal and could be a symptom of something.

Like the others say, you don't need veggies to lose weight (ask my husband) they can just make it easier to be full on less calories. Start with portion control and hitting your calorie goal. And go see your doctor. You mention school (I assume college. If high school you probably need a different website like spark teens) there's probably a student health center. That's where I'd start.
  • wonderbolt_in_training
    wonderbolt_in_training Posts: 24 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    There are a lot of VERY legitimate things that can cause these kinds of taste/texture aversions - things that can be crippling if they aren't caught by the system.

Sensory defensiveness can indicate you are somewhere on the autism spectrum (being an undiagnosed adult on the spectrum trying to cope with life is hell and then some.) PTSD is another legitimate issue. Sensory processing disorders. The list goes on and on.

Mental health / cognitive health issues have a stigma because people like the folks in this thread actively shame people who are not normative out of ignorance. OP's issue is not normative, so, lacking resources, she came here for help.

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    There are a lot of VERY legitimate things that can cause these kinds of taste/texture aversions - things that can be crippling if they aren't caught by the system.

Sensory defensiveness can indicate you are somewhere on the autism spectrum (being an undiagnosed adult on the spectrum trying to cope with life is hell and then some.) PTSD is another legitimate issue. Sensory processing disorders. The list goes on and on.

Mental health / cognitive health issues have a stigma because people like the folks in this thread actively shame people who are not normative out of ignorance. OP's issue is not normative, so, lacking resources, she came here for help.

So the taste and texture of fruits and veggies are all the same? Magically, no other foods taste/textures cause these triggers?
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Sure, some people have sensory issues. But vegetables aren't a sense. You don't have a food aversion or sensory processing issue with "all vegetables," because in no way can you lump together a salad and a butternut squash puree and pizza/pasta sauce and baked potato.

Vomiting at one pea? That's either a TON of drama or a serious mental health issue that requires immediate attention.

It is very doubtful that someone could reach nearly 300 pounds if they are actually medically unable to eat a single pea. It's all in the noggin, and requires intensive psychotherapy.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    MelRC117 wrote: »
    Man, you guys are f*&ked up. There are a lot of VERY legitimate things that can cause these kinds of taste/texture aversions - things that can be crippling if they aren't caught by the system.

To everyone telling her to suck it up, you seriously suck.

So the taste and texture of fruits and veggies are all the same? Magically, no other foods taste/textures cause these triggers?

This.

And to the first poster, I have a kid with sensory issues. It's a wide variety of foods she is averse to smell wise and texture wise. It's a challenge getting her to eat anything and she is small for her age. But she understands that getting her nutrients from a variety of foods is important. She is also 6 years old.

Sorry but a grown adult who's 290 lbs puking because they ate a pea? Lol. Not buying it.

Also eta: Op doesn't need fruit and veggies to lose weight. She just needs a calorie deficit.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    summerjensen52, you don't need to eat vegetables to lose weight. You just need to eat a whole lot less of what you have been eating.

If this isn't a troll post, I suggest you see a general practitioner who may then suggest a nutritionist and also other counseling.
  • hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    You got issues so go see a doctor...I don't see why you haven't yet..
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    The drama is strong with this one.
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Meh, peas used to do this to me as well, and still do to some extent. One pea. Something about the skin plus the mushy inside and the taste that would end up in my nose instead of tongue made my throat reject it *instantly*. Also: many other legumes, most notable lima beans. Other texture/taste combinations can do it too, but legumes more than all others (though green beans and - weirdly - edamame which are basically like crunchy lima beans in taste and texture - are fine)

Still does it if I try to eat these things by themselves, but a few in a soup or whatever are tolerable.

It's really, REALLY not something you can just 'get over'. It's a physiological response to an issue that may be physiological and/or psychological and there's no controlling it. Thinking about it right now alone is raising bile in my throat and I can feel the nose-taste thing, and as I said I'm mostly able to tolerate it now even if I'm not really 'over it'.

That said, as someone else pointed out all fruits and vegetables don't have the same flavor and texture, especially depending on how you cook it (or don't cook it as the case may be). You have to be willing to experiment. you know you don't like peas: don't try to force yourself to eat them. Try something else. Try it raw. Try it steamed. Try it with salt, with butter, etc. But also know you don't necessarily HAVE to eat vegetables to lose weight and get healthy. Eat smaller portions of what you know you like and take vitamins and fiber supplements to fill in what you're missing with veggies. Especially at first, it's all about portion control. Veggies DO make that a bit easier as they fill out meals with lots of low-calorie nutrition, but they are absolutely not *required*.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Just throwing this out there, not that I take it however there is stuff like "Juice Plus". Excerpt below from website. I do not sell or take it, however if someone does not eat fruits or veggies at all, it actually might be worth looking into?

We enjoy the juicy burst of an orange, the sweet nectar of an apple, and the succulence of a red, ripened tomato. Remove the H20 from fruits and vegetables and what do you have left? Nutrients – including healthful antioxidants in the form of juice powders that can be put into a capsule. Juice Plus+ Orchard, Garden and Vineyard Blend capsules contain juice powders from 30 fruits, vegetables and grains that offer whole food based nutrition, which is the core concept behind Juice Plus+ Research that shows Juice Plus+ can lead to a healthier lifestyle. And, in addition to convenient capsules, Juice Plus+ also comes in a tasty, soft chewable form.

• Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    If you aren't eating fresh produce that 'could' be part of the problem. I'm allergic to several preservatives that they use for canned vegetables and sometimes canned fruit and it causes me to puke after I eat them. It sounds like maybe it's more of a mental thing with you though.

My suggestion - try juicing to start if you want to get use to the flavors. Maybe just have juice with breakfast. You start with more fruits being juiced in order to keep it sweet (this removes the texture issue) and then slowly balance it out with more and more vegetable. it helps a bit to recalibrate your tongue.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    eatyourpeas.png
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Are you on the autism spectrum?

And

Do you want to be healthy?
  • kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    OP may or may not be a troll, but aversion to certain food textures/flavors is something that can happen even to otherwise well-adjusted adults. I'm an example. There are certain foods (mostly vegetables) that make me gag, especially if I think about what I'm eating.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

Remove the H20 from fruits and vegetables and what do you have left? .

Lots of sugar (in the case of fruit - not that I think sugar's bad though), nutrients, fibre, calories. Not JUST nutrients... so I think this is a rather silly product :p
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I have been gaining weight like crazy and to be honest, but I wasn't caring. School has been getting in the way and not really cared as much on my weight. But I weighed myself today and gain over 290 pounds. I really want to start eating right and exercising. I have a problem eating fruits and vegetables and I don't know why. I throw up if I put a pea, one pea, in my mouth. If anyone can give me advice on how to eat fruits and veggies without throwing up. :'(

You need to take this to your doctor. How can you throw up from any fruits and vegetables? I can understand something that you see as totally gross, but all?

Yep, see you doctor immediately.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    kampshoff wrote: »
    OP may or may not be a troll, but aversion to certain food textures/flavors is something that can happen even to otherwise well-adjusted adults. I'm an example. There are certain foods (mostly vegetables) that make me gag, especially if I think about what I'm eating.

I suspect under 18 as well.
  • Kcrr1981
    Kcrr1981 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am one of the “weird” people who do not eat many veggies at all. The only green veggie I can eat is green beans, and let me tell you, I eat a massive amount of them every week. I have tried everything to learn to like them but it just does not work for me. I have cooked them in every way possible and covered them in every kind of sauce. I have tried mashed potatoes made out of cauliflower and still nothing works. I would LOVE to like veggies but at 34 years old I just don’t think it will ever happen. So I just stick with the one I love Green Beans =)