can't eat fruits and veggies, without throwing up. help

Options

Replies

• summerjensen52
    Options
    To those who really gave me advice, thank you. I'm going to see a doctor next week and get to the bottom of this.
    I know you don't have to eat fruits and veggies to be healthy, but you can't replace pure nutrients with alternative. That's my own opinion. Also, to those who thinks I'm being a "troll", I'm not. It's something I have and I told you because I read an article about a woman who lost over 100 pounds because of this app. I just thought it would help me as well.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    kampshoff wrote: »
    OP may or may not be a troll, but aversion to certain food textures/flavors is something that can happen even to otherwise well-adjusted adults. I'm an example. There are certain foods (mostly vegetables) that make me gag, especially if I think about what I'm eating.

This is how I feel about eggs. (Unless they are carefully concealed in a delicious chocolate cake.) I just can't stand the texture and it's gotten worse as I've gotten older.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Be nice, everyone. Some people just don't like peas in their mouth.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls_8V56YKso
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You can also try eating organ meats for some micros.
  • spulia1
    spulia1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Go see a psychologist who specializes in exposure therapy. This is something I do as a psychology grad students and it will help you to get over your disgust with vegetables.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I hate olives - I've never eaten an olive, but I know that they are disgusting.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why is the OP's account deactivated?
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I hate olives - I've never eaten an olive, but I know that they are disgusting.
    I've eaten an olive and they are truly disgusting.

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    No, I haven't seen a doctor about this.

The best advice you can be given; Don't ask internet randoms medical questions. Go see a doctor.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    T
    I have been gaining weight like crazy and to be honest, but I wasn't caring. School has been getting in the way and not really cared as much on my weight. But I weighed myself today and gain over 290 pounds. I really want to start eating right and exercising. I have a problem eating fruits and vegetables and I don't know why. I throw up if I put a pea, one pea, in my mouth. If anyone can give me advice on how to eat fruits and veggies without throwing up. :'(

that sounds odd and you should definitely see a doctor. If your throwing up from a single pea in the mouth it has to be a mental issue doesn't it.

What about a small green thing in your mouth would cause a physical reaction like vomiting. If you swallowed I could see maybe an allergic reaction or gag reflex being the issue.

Can you eat mash potatoes or hide vegetables in other foods with out throwing up?

Can you eat them if you are unaware? Like if someone blind folder you and fed you pudding, then at random have you mash potato instead?

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    OP has left the building.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    OP has left the building.

Standard. Or maybe is at that doctor.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    OP has left, but this is something that can probably be handled through exposure therapy as others have posted. If you have food issues that are really hampering you, please find a good cognitive behavioral therapist. For minor things you can also do it on your own by systematically trying the food. I've been doing it with egg (progressively moving up in difficulty, with small bits of egg being the easiest and egg salad being the hardest), and it's really helped.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am doing something similar with mushrooms.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Some people have legitimate plant allergies that cause them to throw up if they eat many types of fruits/ veggies. You really are going to have to be evaluated by a doctor to see what is wrong. It is NOT necessarily "all in the head." I have friends who throw up if they eat any tomatoes or onions or garlic, and various other plant items. including if they do not know that these items are ingredients in what they just ate.
  • runnrchic
    runnrchic Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    This is the saddest post I've read all day. Just keep forcing the fruits and veggies til you have a taste for them. You have to get used to them and get the junk cravings out of your taste buds. They are so delicious cooked and combined so many different ways!
  • marinabreeze
    marinabreeze Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I get not being able to eat certain fruits/veggies, but not all of them are the exact same taste-wise, and they do have different textures. I haven't eaten a pea in years, and I don't care for the traditional mixed vegetables. I also don't care for canned vegetables due to the mushiness and salt. But I find that I love other veggies, like asparagus, mushrooms, fresh or frozen green beans, etc., especially if they are prepared with spices (generally peppers, garlic, or other non-salt spices) - I experiment and figure out what vegetables and spice combinations are great together. These are entire food groups that are being excluded, not particular fruits and/or vegetables. That's the part that I don't get.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Some people have legitimate plant allergies that cause them to throw up if they eat many types of fruits/ veggies. You really are going to have to be evaluated by a doctor to see what is wrong. It is NOT necessarily "all in the head." I have friends who throw up if they eat any tomatoes or onions or garlic, and various other plant items. including if they do not know that these items are ingredients in what they just ate.

Sure, but every single fruit and vegetable? (By the way, I have vomited each time I have eaten eggplant, so I suspect I might be allergic to it and no longer eat it. I was definitely allergic to tomatoes when I was a child, which is in the same family, so it makes sense that I might be allergic to eggplant.) A single pea that isn't even swallowed? I don't think so.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Why is the OP's account deactivated?

Well, I guess that's that.

nothing_to_see_here.jpg

LOL!