Have you Quit Sugar?

Options
167891012»

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Kiku10 wrote: »
    I stay away from all simple refined sugar. I limit rice to occasionally plus portion control, and try to eat the brand type with the lowest GL index number. I eat fruit everyday, but try to stick to say 2-3 pieces and limit grapes, etc. I often fail on that score...I'm not a low carber but do avoid refined.

I've cut out sugar on 3 or 4 occasions, once for 1.5 years. I felt better and found I got sick, shakey like menopause if i broke my pattern. But after a handful of times, it gets easy to eat again and cravings start.

I truly believe giving up white death is one the biggest keys to health and wellbeing. I also feel much less compulsive about food when I avoid sugar. It's very hard at first on on occasions such as holidays, but it gets easier. I hope to do this for the rest of my life.

Try it...your body will thank you. Try 3 months on no refined sugar, no bread etc...then eat a cupcake. You'll see the stuff is poison.

There is much research and increasing consensus about the health risks of refined sugar. Even the WHO world health organization recommends limiting added sugar to 20g a day, that's 6 teaspoons. A store bought ice tea has more than that.
    All my doctors agree you should limit at very least. It's true some people suffer no harm from eaying a lot of sugar, but these folks are few and far between.

What the heck is white death??
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I have not given up sugar, but I have decided to eat less of it. I do not think I will keep this up for long because I do not think there is much of a benefit for doing so.
  • DedRepublic
    DedRepublic Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Your diet will be naturally limited in sugar if you just start eating balanced meals with whole foods. If you get sugar in this manner it will mostly come from fruits.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I laughed at the phrase "white death"

All things "white" cause death.... eeeewwww! I may die before the weekend is up, so this may be my last post!.. :#:#
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    livhig82 wrote: »
    After watching a documentary about sugar I am really considering quitting altogether.
    Has anyone else done this and what was your experience??

I think you're a bit confused-if you're thinking of quitting sugar, you'll be eliminating some major things from your diet like fruit. It might be a good idea to do a bit more research, and get a better understanding of how your body breaks food down etc. Also-be very wary when it comes to 'nutritional' documentaries-they all are spinning a certain woe as the only way to eat for optimal health, but they're all pretty biased (and many of them are just trying to sell something). Pretty sure I've seen the documentary that you watched and yeah, just take it with a grain of salt :)
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I stopped putting sugar in my tea (I drink 5-8 cups a day). But I still add it to pancakes, porridge, and other recipies... I do not cook such food often though, couples times a month...
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I'm eating a lot less sugar than I used too. I don't miss it at all, or haven't so far. I feel great, it's a small part of a lot of other changes I had to make. But I don't feel tired or like I'm missing anything.

Many foods have natural sugars in them I wouldn't cut all those foods, maybe think about limiting added sugars.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Your diet will be naturally limited in sugar if you just start eating balanced meals with whole foods. If you get sugar in this manner it will mostly come from fruits.

This is basically how I think about it. Focusing on specific foods (or ingredients) like sugar seems misplaced. If you just focus on eating healthy balanced meals within your calories and not eating a bunch of extra stuff, you simply won't be overeating sugar.

Now, I like sweet things, so do continue to eat the occasional sweet treat when I have room in my day and have generally met my other nutrition goals. When I'm exercising a lot that can mean I have ice cream (but a reasonable size) pretty regularly. I've never wasted calories on stupid stuff like sugary sodas or iced teas (I make my own unsweetened iced tea which I like far better), so people freaking out about the sugar in them and using scare terms like "white death" just make me laugh.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    No. I am eating less of it as I'm making choices that mean I'm not hungry in my cal limit. Eg less sweets, chocolate etc
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    LOL @ "white death"...

Fearmonger much?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/149782/1/9789241549028_eng.pdf?ua=1

Here's the sugar guidelines by the WHO.
    There's 2 main reasons they recommend limiting sugar: it decreases total calorie intake and thus leads to less weight gain and better nutrition in people who don't really pay attention to their intakes and because of caries.

And they don't recommend limiting sugar to 20g a day, they recommend it being less than 10% of your total calories. So unless your intake is under 800 that'll be over 20g.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Nope. I have 1.5tbsp brown sugar in my coffee (3 cups @ 1/2tbsp each) plus eat fruit so I get the sugars from them. I have cut out cookies, sweets, etc.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I don't go out of my way to limit my sugar intake, however, a lot of the foods that I normally eat are low in sugar.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    No. It's pointless.

By all means cut down, but exclusion diets are hard to maintain and unnecessary for most people.

^^^This...
  • DedRepublic
    DedRepublic Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    When I'm exercising a lot that can mean I have ice cream (but a reasonable size) pretty regularly.

Sugar can be great after an intense weight training workout. I have been known to eat donuts on leg day...

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Kiku10 wrote: »
    I stay away from all simple refined sugar. I limit rice to occasionally plus portion control, and try to eat the brand type with the lowest GL index number. I eat fruit everyday, but try to stick to say 2-3 pieces and limit grapes, etc. I often fail on that score...I'm not a low carber but do avoid refined.

I've cut out sugar on 3 or 4 occasions, once for 1.5 years. I felt better and found I got sick, shakey like menopause if i broke my pattern. But after a handful of times, it gets easy to eat again and cravings start.

I truly believe giving up white death is one the biggest keys to health and wellbeing. I also feel much less compulsive about food when I avoid sugar. It's very hard at first on on occasions such as holidays, but it gets easier. I hope to do this for the rest of my life.

Try it...your body will thank you. Try 3 months on no refined sugar, no bread etc...then eat a cupcake. You'll see the stuff is poison.

There is much research and increasing consensus about the health risks of refined sugar. Even the WHO world health organization recommends limiting added sugar to 20g a day, that's 6 teaspoons. A store bought ice tea has more than that.
    All my doctors agree you should limit at very least. It's true some people suffer no harm from eaying a lot of sugar, but these folks are few and far between.

ohboy.gif