Have you Quit Sugar?

Options

Replies

• crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Nope. I just focused on meeting my protein, fat, and fiber goals, and a reduction in sugar naturally followed. I still eat chocolate, ice cream, candy, cake, indulgent restaurant desserts... I just do so with my calorie and nutrient goals in mind. Most days I'm under the sugar goal MFP sets, but this isn't intentional on my part. It just comes with having a balanced diet.
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    This post made me salty.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I also think it is very difficult, and indeed unnecessary to cut all sugar. I am glad the WHO included natural honey to their "free sugars" list. It's not the naturalness of a product that harms, but perhaps over-consumption of an easy calorie source (sugar) at the expense of nutritious alternatives.

I think we will continue to see confusion of MFP members, conscientiously watching their sugars, and not understanding how they can go over on a few pieces of fruit. I am sure MFP, and the WHO, did not intend for calorie watchers to cut fruit from their diet to meet the deadlines.

There has to be an adjustment to the nutrition labeling in order to meet the WHO guidelines.

Also, the composition if Honey is about the same as High Fructose Corn Syrup - about 40% fructose, 40% glucose, with the rest being other sugars and water. Its just not a good sugar choice.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    mmmmm.... pudding. Yum. Still not fat. Or addicted.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    I also think it is very difficult, and indeed unnecessary to cut all sugar. I am glad the WHO included natural honey to their "free sugars" list. It's not the naturalness of a product that harms, but perhaps over-consumption of an easy calorie source (sugar) at the expense of nutritious alternatives.

I think we will continue to see confusion of MFP members, conscientiously watching their sugars, and not understanding how they can go over on a few pieces of fruit. I am sure MFP, and the WHO, did not intend for calorie watchers to cut fruit from their diet to meet the deadlines.

There has to be an adjustment to the nutrition labeling in order to meet the WHO guidelines.

Also, the composition if Honey is about the same as High Fructose Corn Syrup - about 40% fructose, 40% glucose, with the rest being other sugars and water. Its just not a good sugar choice.

It's delicious. That makes it a good sugar choice by definition.
  • kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »

It's delicious. That makes it a good sugar choice by definition.

That, and it's easy to mix into my oatmeal.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I personally don't let any organization dictate my eating habits...

hit you calorie/micro/macro targets and you will be fine...

• twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Funny you should mention this sugar thing. I saw my Gastroenterologist just yesterday and he told me to avoid all sugar even fruit. I joked with him and ask what happen to a apple a day. He said no apples and no wheat products. I have been putting on weight and I am slow to lose weight. He wants me to eat meat and vegetables to get the weight off then I can slowly add back the fruit in moderation. I am having surgery on my stomach later this year and he wants me to drop about 50-60 lbs before my surgery. No sugar for me that means reading all the labels for added sugar. Besides I am a sugar junkie this is a good thing for me this is day one sugarfree. :'(:#:(:o
  • ndj1979
    edited March 2015
    Options
    twistygirl wrote: »
    Funny you should mention this sugar thing. I saw my Gastroenterologist just yesterday and he told me to avoid all sugar even fruit. I joked with him and ask what happen to a apple a day. He said no apples and no wheat products. I have been putting on weight and I am slow to lose weight. He wants me to eat meat and vegetables to get the weight off then I can slowly add back the fruit in moderation. I am having surgery on my stomach later this year and he wants me to drop about 50-60 lbs before my surgery. No sugar for me that means reading all the labels for added sugar. Besides I am a sugar junkie this is a good thing for me this is day one sugarfree. :'(:#:(:o

I would suggest finding a new doctor as that is ridiculous...

you can lose weight and still eat sugar...

just eat less food...

unless you have a medical condition that you have not referenced...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    "There has to be an adjustment to the nutrition labeling in order to meet the WHO guidelines"....Difficult? Try NOT POSSIBLE. Sugar occurs naturally in almost all food. Moderation is the key to being sensible about sugar...

The WHO guideline provides direction on what is considered "free sugars". That certainly can be calculated by manufacturers and separated out from what naturally occurs in a food product.

I tend to think it's not that necessary if people actually understand what they are eating (probably asking too much, yes). But it would be particularly relevant for things like flavored yogurt (although you could just compare the numbers to the same brand of plain yogurt) or pasta sauce (not that I want to encourage the purchase of jarred pasta sauce, sigh, but gets slammed with the "sugar" figures when at least some of the sugar is from tomatoes and the like). I suspect the change in labeling will come, also.

Now, the broader question is whether it matters, really. For example, the WHO rationale is that foods with added (free) sugars tend to be high in calories and low in nutrients. But if I make a rhubarb sauce and add sugar or add sugar to my steel cut oats (I actually don't--I don't like things like that too sweet and just fruit is sufficient), that doesn't change the fact that those are nutritious dishes and the total calories added by the sugar isn't much.

Indeed, one interesting thing I've noticed is that with many high calorie foods that are sweet the majority of the calories aren't from sugar at all, but from fat. My cookie recipe (yes, I've mentioned this before) that I analyzed in MFP has a majority of calories from butter and the second most from flour, with sugar not contributing much at all. Yet clearly they are a food that should be eaten in moderation (or limited if one prefers), since they are high calorie and low nutrient.

IMO, anyone with an ounce of sense can look at a food and decide if it's contributing more calories than acceptable given the nutrients (and pleasure provided). For example, I can see that many flavored yogurts either have fake sugar or have more calories than yogurts that have the same amount of fat but are plain. I can decide if the added calories are worth it to me, and the other nutrients in the yogurt remain.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    @acg67 how do you know that's what the WHO is basing their decision on? I mean, such an agency is naturally conservative. What if they are looking at world trends?

http://www.who.int/nutrition/nlis/en/

"Assessment of dietary intake of sugars, whether by some method of recall as used in the trials, or by food frequency questionnaires as in cohort studies, was associated with a considerable degree of measurement error even when using validated methods"

From the main meta analysis that they referenced in their presentation of their recommendation
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    StazzyBoo wrote: »
    Avoid the wrong kind of sugar-the unnatural/processed kind. Sugar through sourced like fruits and vegetables is perfectly okay. And it's not just the sugar that's the problem it's the processed foods that are, processed foods lose nutrition and are usually packed with additives of all sort. Sugar is the least of your problems compared to all the other sh** they put in "food".

Just balance your diet with natural foods from their original sources and you will do yourself a lot of good than just by cutting out sugar.

574959_532977393394151_62018296_n.jpeg

Especially when that is Pink Floyd

Nice catch!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    @acg67 how do you know that's what the WHO is basing their decision on? I mean, such an agency is naturally conservative. What if they are looking at world trends?

"Assessment of dietary intake of sugars, whether by some method of recall as used in the trials, or by food frequency questionnaires as in cohort studies, was associated with a considerable degree of measurement error even when using validated methods"

From the main meta analysis that they referenced in their presentation of their recommendation

Where is your quote from? Can link the reference?
  • Acg67
    Options

http://www.bmj.com/content/346/bmj.e7492
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

http://www.bmj.com/content/346/bmj.e7492

I was hoping they'd say how they know the degree of error. If all the information they have is recall, how could they know the recall was incorrect? What is there to compare?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Also in the summary from that same report:

"... in relation to intakes of sugar sweetened beverages after one year follow-up in prospective studies, the odds ratio for being overweight or obese increased was 1.55 (1.32 to 1.82) among groups with the highest intake compared with those with the lowest intake."

"...sensitivity analyses showed that the trends were consistent and associations remained ..."

"intake of free sugars or sugar sweetened beverages is a determinant of body weight."

This must be part of the "solid evidence" that the WHO used to make these recommendations.

Now for the connoisseurs of calories, we don't have to worry, because, "isoenergetic exchange of sugars with other carbohydrates was not associated with weight change." In other words, a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. Go ahead and pack that gummy bear for a long run.

It seems to me the WHO has advised the reduction of "free sugars" to the broader population as a potential easy fix to the obesity problem. People can spot the free sugar and reduce their consumption. Manufacturers obliged to list their "free sugars" will no doubt reduce them.
  • ndj1979
    Options

"... in relation to intakes of sugar sweetened beverages after one year follow-up in prospective studies, the odds ratio for being overweight or obese increased was 1.55 (1.32 to 1.82) among groups with the highest intake compared with those with the lowest intake."

"...sensitivity analyses showed that the trends were consistent and associations remained ..."

"intake of free sugars or sugar sweetened beverages is a determinant of body weight."

This must be part of the "solid evidence" that the WHO used to make these recommendations.

Now for the connoisseurs of calories, we don't have to worry, because, "isoenergetic exchange of sugars with other carbohydrates was not associated with weight change." In other words, a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. Go ahead and pack that gummy bear for a long run.

It seems to me the WHO has advised the reduction of "free sugars" to the broader population as a potential easy fix to the obesity problem. People can spot the free sugar and reduce their consumption. Manufacturers obliged to list their "free sugars" will no doubt reduce them.

so eat less calorie dense food...genius...
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    It is not possible to quit sugar. It is in everything and your body needs it. Cut back, or totally cut sweets and/or sugary drinks if you want, but even in moderation and within your calorie allotment it is perfectly fine.
  • Acg67
    Options

Except none of it is "solid evidence" and when you look at the references for their recommendations, it's crappy data. The data it is based on matters.