Have you Quit Sugar?

Options

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    eba2003 wrote: »
    I think the OP was referring to refined/added sugar which is not required by the body. you can get enough from fruits and other healthy carbs. I have given up refined sugar and I have more energy, fewer cravings and clearer skin. I still eat fruit, starches and grains.

so you gave up sugar and still eat sugar. yep. That's awesome. And useless.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    LCloops wrote: »
    Nope haven't given it up, I wouldn't be able to enjoy my nightly dessert if I did. I also prefer to base my decisions on my research not based on the agenda they are pushing in a documentary.

/\/\ This is a fantastic answer... and is exactly what I am doing... do more research we beg you...

Do you think you have done more research than WHO, Harvard School of Public Health, The American Heart Associasion, and other health organizations that recommend limiting added sugars?

"Have you Quit Sugar"

Why did you add "added" into it? And their recommendations are based off crappy data sets, they should not be making recommendations at all.

I read more than the subject line.

"...And that I'll have to drastically cut carbs, sugar, and friggin dairy..."
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Nope haven't given it up, I wouldn't be able to enjoy my nightly dessert if I did. I also prefer to base my decisions on my research not based on the agenda they are pushing in a documentary.

/\/\ This is a fantastic answer... and is exactly what I am doing... do more research we beg you...

Do you think you have done more research than WHO, Harvard School of Public Health, The American Heart Associasion, and other health organizations that recommend limiting added sugars?

"Have you Quit Sugar"

Why did you add "added" into it? And their recommendations are based off crappy data sets, they should not be making recommendations at all.

Yes, also no mention of "added sugars"
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

"Have you Quit Sugar"

That's not OP. All OP said was:
    After watching a documentary about sugar I am really considering quitting altogether. Has anyone else done this and what was your experience??

Also, limiting (as recommended by WHO et al.) is not quitting.
  • Hottie_McTottie
    Options

My research is based on how I feel when I limit added sugar in my diet and cutting way down on the sweet treats I consume vs. how I feel when I have it. The result? I feel much better without the added sugar and sweet treats.

That's MY research.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

My research is based on how I feel when I limit added sugar in my diet and cutting way down on the sweet treats I consume vs. how I feel when I have it. The result? I feel much better without the added sugar and sweet treats.

That's MY research.

The placebo effect is a hell of a drug.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

"Have you Quit Sugar"

That's not OP. All OP said was:
    After watching a documentary about sugar I am really considering quitting altogether. Has anyone else done this and what was your experience??

Oh, oops my bad.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    I hope someone gets this, because it's friggin' hilarious.

49702215.jpg
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Avoid the wrong kind of sugar-the unnatural/processed kind. Sugar through sourced like fruits and vegetables is perfectly okay. And it's not just the sugar that's the problem it's the processed foods that are, processed foods lose nutrition and are usually packed with additives of all sort. Sugar is the least of your problems compared to all the other sh** they put in "food".

Just balance your diet with natural foods from their original sources and you will do yourself a lot of good than just by cutting out sugar.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

That's MY research.

Actually, people who eat really excessive amounts and little in the way of nutritious foods (or unbalanced so that they have blood sugar swings if prone to that) typically do feel better when they start eating a better diet.

I seriously doubt it matters whether they do this by eating a nutritious diet with a moderate amount of sugar (like many here are talking about) or by going to the other extreme and cutting out all added sugar, but people just assume it's cutting out sugar rather than fixing their diet in general and that others who don't eat the way they used to (or perhaps aren't prone to the blood sugar issues) would somehow have the same effect.

It's a little tiresome IMO, but understandable.

Edited to add context, because this thread is moving FAST!
  • eseeton
    eseeton Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

49702215.jpg

My stomach hurts already.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options

Are you suggesting that the WHO recommendations are based on bad data sets? Really? “We have solid evidence that keeping intake of free sugars to less than 10% of total energy intake reduces the risk of overweight, obesity and tooth decay,”

The WHO is using the term "free sugars" which I defined above. It includes honey.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited March 2015
    Options

49702215.jpg

Hmm, not much sugar in duck is there? >:)
  • mccindy72
    Options
    StazzyBoo wrote: »
    Avoid the wrong kind of sugar-the unnatural/processed kind. Sugar through sourced like fruits and vegetables is perfectly okay. And it's not just the sugar that's the problem it's the processed foods that are, processed foods lose nutrition and are usually packed with additives of all sort. Sugar is the least of your problems compared to all the other sh** they put in "food".

Just balance your diet with natural foods from their original sources and you will do yourself a lot of good than just by cutting out sugar.

double-facepalm.jpg
  • mccindy72
    Options
    epawelek wrote: »

49702215.jpg

My stomach hurts already.

bwah ha ha!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

That's MY research.

Actually, people who eat really excessive amounts and little in the way of nutritious foods (or unbalanced so that they have blood sugar swings if prone to that) typically do feel better when they start eating a better diet.

I seriously doubt it matters whether they do this by eating a nutritious diet with a moderate amount of sugar (like many here are talking about) or by going to the other extreme and cutting out all added sugar, but people just assume it's cutting out sugar rather than fixing their diet in general and that others who don't eat the way they used to (or perhaps aren't prone to the blood sugar issues) would somehow have the same effect.

It's a little tiresome IMO, but understandable.

Edited to add context, because this thread is moving FAST!

Tiresome in what way?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    NEVER!!!
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    Nope, I eat 70% dark chocolate almost every afternoon as a snack and I eat dessert many nights a week. I exercise so I can fit in wine or dessert.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    WNYEj9G.gif
  • Hottie_McTottie
    Options

That's MY research.

Say what you want but I know how I -- and my stomach -- feels when I limit my sugar intake.