Have you Quit Sugar?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Nope haven't given it up, I wouldn't be able to enjoy my nightly dessert if I did. I also prefer to base my decisions on my research not based on the agenda they are pushing in a documentary.

My research is based on how I feel when I limit added sugar in my diet and cutting way down on the sweet treats I consume vs. how I feel when I have it. The result? I feel much better without the added sugar and sweet treats.

That's MY research.

The placebo effect is a hell of a drug.

Actually, people who eat really excessive amounts and little in the way of nutritious foods (or unbalanced so that they have blood sugar swings if prone to that) typically do feel better when they start eating a better diet.

I seriously doubt it matters whether they do this by eating a nutritious diet with a moderate amount of sugar (like many here are talking about) or by going to the other extreme and cutting out all added sugar, but people just assume it's cutting out sugar rather than fixing their diet in general and that others who don't eat the way they used to (or perhaps aren't prone to the blood sugar issues) would somehow have the same effect.

It's a little tiresome IMO, but understandable.

Edited to add context, because this thread is moving FAST!

Tiresome in what way?

Kind of like any new convert who assumes they've found the one true way and that everyone who doesn't think like them just hasn't seen the light yet.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    WNYEj9G.gif

Still and always a fan of this gif.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Nope haven't given it up, I wouldn't be able to enjoy my nightly dessert if I did. I also prefer to base my decisions on my research not based on the agenda they are pushing in a documentary.

My research is based on how I feel when I limit added sugar in my diet and cutting way down on the sweet treats I consume vs. how I feel when I have it. The result? I feel much better without the added sugar and sweet treats.

That's MY research.

Actually, people who eat really excessive amounts and little in the way of nutritious foods (or unbalanced so that they have blood sugar swings if prone to that) typically do feel better when they start eating a better diet.

I seriously doubt it matters whether they do this by eating a nutritious diet with a moderate amount of sugar (like many here are talking about) or by going to the other extreme and cutting out all added sugar, but people just assume it's cutting out sugar rather than fixing their diet in general and that others who don't eat the way they used to (or perhaps aren't prone to the blood sugar issues) would somehow have the same effect.

Tiresome in what way?

Kind of like any new convert who assumes they've found the one true way and that everyone who doesn't think like them just hasn't seen the light yet.

Who did that in this thread?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    LCloops wrote: »

/\/\ This is a fantastic answer... and is exactly what I am doing... do more research we beg you...

Do you think you have done more research than WHO, Harvard School of Public Health, The American Heart Associasion, and other health organizations that recommend limiting added sugars?

I went to my cardiologist yesterday, I have completely reverse my heart disease to no heart disease and quoted by my doctor that I have a blood pressure of a teenager, eating sugary foods!!!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Derpes wrote: »
    Take the documentaries with a grain of salt....I mean sugar.

If there is a medical reason to limit sugar, have at it....otherwise.......where are the KitKats?

I take them with a grain of sugar because I'd rather eat raw sugar than raw salt.
  • Hottie_McTottie
    Hottie_McTottie Posts: 15
    edited March 2015
    Options

That's MY research.

Um, ok.

My diet has always been nutritious. Lots of veggies, meats, some fruits, dairy . . . I have just chosen to limit foods that have added sugars in them. I also don't add sugar to things like tea or coffee. I limit my sweet intake because I find that when I do indulge I feel like rubbish and it throws my stomach off. But hey, that's just what I've experienced and how I feel when I cut down on sweets. What do I know?

ETA: I never said my way was the "one true way". I merely answered the original topic question and then added my .02 on another comment stating how I feel when I cut down on my sugar consumption. But please, do show me where I said my way was the one true way.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

That's MY research.

Tiresome in what way?

Who did that in this thread?

Didn't say anyone did. It's common, though.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Acg67 wrote: »
    Why did you add "added" into it? And their recommendations are based off crappy data sets, they should not be making recommendations at all.

Are you suggesting that the WHO recommendations are based on bad data sets? Really? “We have solid evidence that keeping intake of free sugars to less than 10% of total energy intake reduces the risk of overweight, obesity and tooth decay,”

The WHO is using the term "free sugars" which I defined above. It includes honey.

I wonder how I lost 121 pounds eating more then the recommendations. LOL, and been maintaining for 6 months now. I must be a miracle or something like that!! ;)
  • mccindy72
    edited March 2015
    Options

That's MY research.

Um, ok.

My diet has always been nutritious. Lots of veggies, meats, some fruits, dairy . . . I have just chosen to limit foods that have added sugars in them. I also don't add sugar to things like tea or coffee. I limit my sweet intake because I find that when I do indulge I feel like rubbish and it throws my stomach off. But hey, that's just what I've experienced and how I feel when I cut down on sweets. What do I know?

ETA: I never said my way was the "one true way". I merely answered the original topic question and then added my .02 on another comment stating how I feel when I cut down on my sugar consumption. But please, do show me where I said my way was the one true way.

Um, you've proven the point. Please see bolded above.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am sure it is possible to lose weight while eating more sugar. But there is strong evidence that limiting free sugars will reduce obesity, and cavities.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I love confirmation bias. It's one of my favorites.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    I am sure it is possible to lose weight while eating more sugar. But there is strong evidence that limiting free sugars will reduce obesity, and cavities.

Hm. Limiting free sugars because this reduces calorie intake, since the people consuming large amounts of free sugars just don't eat as much overall when they stop eating those high-sugar foods. Cavities? Nope. Sugary foods don't cause more cavities, unless the kiddies (and adults) aren't practicing good oral hygiene. Studies show high acid foods like soda, fruits and wines are much more likely to cause loss of enamel and cavities than sugary foods.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Nah----no cutting out sugar here. My MFP sugar goal is good, and I try to stay within that. If I go over, it's usually fruit, or a once in a while desert. I decided to drink my cappucino and tea without adding sugar. Now, I don't like things that are too sweet. If you can cut out sugar long term, and are happy with that--give it a go. It certainly won't kill you. B)
  • eseeton
    eseeton Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Nah----no cutting out sugar here. My MFP sugar goal is good, and I try to stay within that. If I go over, it's usually fruit, or a once in a while desert. I decided to drink my cappucino and tea without adding sugar. Now, I don't like things that are too sweet. If you can cut out sugar long term, and are happy with that--give it a go. It certainly won't kill you. B)

I too switched from sugar laden coffee and tea to cappucinos and unsweetened tea. I never would have been caught dead drinking them, but they are so delicious now!
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of one of my favorite episodes of the Simpsons:
    Lisa: Is it really worth risking your lives for some sugar?
    Marge: Dessert's on! I steamed some limes!
    Lisa: God speed.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Is anyone arguing against limiting (as in cutting it down if it's excessive?) free sugar (as I also like the term)? I am interpreting this discussion as about eliminating sugar vs. eating it in moderate amounts (and I personally think the WHO recommendation is a decent guide to what "moderate" means, although it's important to understand the whole rationale by WHO and not assume that simply eating a bit more on occasional days is an issue IF your calories and nutrition are in check).

Well, to be honest I don't think the WHO rationale of cavities is a particularly good one. My guess is that other factors make a much bigger difference, like oral hygiene.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I think the original poster was saying that they might quit processed sugars or added sugars....not sugars that are naturally occurring such as in fruits and vegetables. I also am watching my sugars and my carbs because I've seen a huge difference in how I feel as well as my cravings. I still eat tons of veggies, have added in small amounts of fruit and feel amazing.

I don't add sugar to my coffee and I eat very few, if any, processed or packaged foods. It's harder at times because I have to pre-plan but my energy levels, lack of cravings and feelings of being full after I eat (which I didn't have before) make it all worth it.

And I don't miss the ADDED sugars....I'm enjoying the sugars that are naturally occurring in the whole foods that I'm eating.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

That's MY research.

Um, ok.

You are taking my comment awfully personally. Hmm.

But okay, how much did you limit it? From how many total sugar grams on average to how many? And focusing on added sugar in particular, from how many to how many?

I'm not sure why you are telling me that you don't add sugar to tea and coffee. Most adults I know don't (most people I know drink black coffee, some add dairy, obviously some order those drinks at Starbucks, but they don't seem to be in my circles)--IMO, it tastes far better without added sugar.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    StazzyBoo wrote: »
    Avoid the wrong kind of sugar-the unnatural/processed kind. Sugar through sourced like fruits and vegetables is perfectly okay. And it's not just the sugar that's the problem it's the processed foods that are, processed foods lose nutrition and are usually packed with additives of all sort. Sugar is the least of your problems compared to all the other sh** they put in "food".

Just balance your diet with natural foods from their original sources and you will do yourself a lot of good than just by cutting out sugar.

574959_532977393394151_62018296_n.jpeg

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I have been LIMITING my added sugars for about 15 years now. I find that the more even I can keep my blood sugars (i.e. no mid morning crash) the easier it is to eat the way I want.

I also very much limit heavily refined carbs (think: white bread) for the same reason. I aim for more whole or intact grains.

I actually do this same thing, although for me it's been helpful to put the focus more on having a balance of macros at each meal -- even a whole grain like steel cut oats doesn't work for me for breakfast unless I include it in a meal with protein and fat (and I usually add veggies too, since I like having veggies at each meal--this was my breakfast today, in fact). For me the overall amounts of carbs and sugars seem less important than balancing them and not eating them on their own usually (when I have a sweet item it's generally close in time to a meal), but I generally do eat whole grains or other forms of starches (even more) rather than lots of heavily refined grains. (White pasta affects me no different than whole wheat, given the importance of the sauce, so although I generally have whole wheat at home I have no problem ordering white in a restaurant for a splurge.)

I basically do this: I try to eat foods that work well together: protein and fats with carbs.
    And then I do also limit added sugars. I just don't need that much added sugar in my diet.