Good Protein Snack Recommendations

Options
I'm hideous at my protein.

Portable snack ideas would be awesome! Ideally not mega calorific if possible.

I need to get more in during the day as I often don't bother much with dinner...after a day at work then an hour or more in the gym it's just too late to start cooking.

And cottage cheese is the devils turd.

Replies

• bjelen55
    bjelen55 Posts: 4
    Options
    Pistachios!!!!!!! Or Unsalted cashews.
  • 30mphmike
    30mphmike Posts: 28
    edited March 2015
    Options
    casein protein shake and some nuts is a great before bed snack
  • giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Quest bars
  • bunnywestley81
    bunnywestley81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I do love pistachios and cashews!!! My worry I'd go all feral on them!!
    I do have a massive tub of cashew nut butter which i keep forgetting...may be able to utalise that in my quest...
  • hellsbells0706
    hellsbells0706 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I got this recipe from the Buff Dudes youtube page - They call it protein sludge and it's so good, I have it every night for "dessert". You take a scoop of protein powder (whatever flavor you like) and add in a tbsp of all natural peanut butter with some almond milk or coconut milk and you mix it up well. It should be a thicker paste but not too thick, add more liquid if needed. Then put in the freezer and freeze for 30 mins. It's like chocolate ice cream. I add shredded coconut sometimes too, you really can add what you want. But it's awesome :)
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have been having the same problem and last week I started having turkey sandwiches at lunch, boil some eggs to have in the fridge and throw a hard boiled egg into your routine and check out some protien bars. Some of them are 200-300 calories each which are pretty scary but I found a few that were better. When reading the labels though make sure they aren't loaded with sugar. I just bought a package of nature valley protien bars - 10grams protien, only 6g sugar and 190 calories. I also went to GNC and got a protien shake with 20grams protien and only 100 calories. No sugar either and it's sweetened with stevia so no aspartame or anything! I like it! I also cannot be trusted with peanuts or cashews - I will eat like 4 servings which is great for protien, not calories! :)
  • lindsayh87
    Options
    I have been having the same problem and last week I started having turkey sandwiches at lunch, boil some eggs to have in the fridge and throw a hard boiled egg into your routine and check out some protien bars. Some of them are 200-300 calories each which are pretty scary but I found a few that were better. When reading the labels though make sure they aren't loaded with sugar. I just bought a package of nature valley protien bars - 10grams protien, only 6g sugar and 190 calories. I also went to GNC and got a protien shake with 20grams protien and only 100 calories. No sugar either and it's sweetened with stevia so no aspartame or anything! I like it! I also cannot be trusted with peanuts or cashews - I will eat like 4 servings which is great for protien, not calories! :)
  • lindsayh87
    Options
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    I drink this SUPPPPEEERRR YUMMY Special K protein shake in the mornings, its French vanilla.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    they sell those little pre-packaged protein snacks (near lunchables) and they are usually about 13-15g/protein and not too many calories.
  • megablackk1d
    megablackk1d Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    quest bars
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My list:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/mid-day-snacks-722504

To manage your nut love, try pre-portioning in to snack bags (1 tbsp is one serving). Over time you will get used to the smaller portion. Eat slowly and enjoy!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    nuts can be quite caloric and fatty, so be careful using them to chase your protein goal.

my go-to protein snacks are cottage cheese, jerky, can of chicken with buffalo sauce and bleu cheese, protein shake, rolled up lunch meat (usually turkey).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @hollyblum86, I'm borrowing that sludge recipe. I'm going to try freezing it in to popsicles.
  • lindsayh87
    Options
    ...not sure why my reply posted 4 times. Or how to delete them. Sorry :(
  • bunnywestley81
    bunnywestley81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I shall have a look for protein powders when I shop later!

Nuts are so yummy but they can easily lead me into accidently eating the whole packet in one sitting.

Though I did regret the 1/2kg bag of salted pistashios I once got through when I was a teen...cotton mouth for about 4 days while I drank oceans of water...yip, bad idea...

*sigh* I miss the days I was a skinny little thing and ate everything. I hate getting old...
  • troutrouter
    Options
    Greek yogurt. I prefer the Dannon light and fit cherry.
  • shanonuhmae
    shanonuhmae Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Protein is tricky. 1 gram of protein = 4 calories, so you have to choose wisely. Do you know your protein requirements? Take your weight in Kilos and times by .80 which will give you the number of grams of protein your body needs daily.

Meat is a good source of protein, however I don't eat meat so I tend to use:
    greek yogurt
    nuts
    green peas
    Hummus
    Quinoa
    Hempseed trail mix
    beans - any kind
    Ezekiel bread
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt and boiled eggs are my daily snacks, though normally the yogurt and some additional protein powder are mixed into my breakfast oats. I love nuts but I simply can't eat one serving - it's more like 10 so I avoid them like the plague. Peanut butter is also not too bad if you can manage to control yourself. Bring a little bit and have it with apple slices or celery sticks.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Here's a pretty good list of protein sources. Just choose what you like.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/926789/protein-sources/p1