Good Protein Snack Recommendations

Options
2»

Replies

• CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    My go-to protein snacks are jerky, greek yogurt (generally I like full-fat Fage mixed with honey or jam or some such), cottage cheese (I have a sweet tooth, so I mix it with honey and dark cocoa powder), Clif builder bars, and protein powder, which I either add to my iced coffee or use to make protein muffins. I also eat a lot of tuna, but it's not very "snacky," necessarily.

I do love nuts, peanut butter, etc, but those are more useful for hitting fat macros, IMO.
  • LouiseHappy
    LouiseHappy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I boil a lot of eggs and eat only egg whites. I add one/two to my breakfast cereal and make raw apple/raw carrot/berries/boiled beets and egg whites salad for supper. Sometimes when I have no break between classes, I can always eat one-two during class without distracting anyone vs making chewing sounds snacking on apples. I can mash/chop them and add to all my meals, if I see I am low on protein that day. U can even make little cakes from them with some artistic creativity, since they color easily. I buy only cage free, organic eggs. It is much cheaper then protein shakes, which I buy sometimes too for a variety. Chicken and fish gets boring sometimes, so I try to improvise. I do eat red meat, such lean steak, but rarely. Nuts are good but they have sooo much fat content. I eat a lot of plain fat free greek yogurt, as a source for my salad or as a snack with berries.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt or protein shakes. Safeway has a cheap shake called Lucerne refuel that is very very tasty. They have light and regular versions (180 calories vs 300). 20 g of protein.
  • bunnywestley81
    bunnywestley81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Fat is also good as some days I'm bad at that as well!! Depends on how busy and tired or lazy I've been. And if I've been at the cheese. Some days I'll exist on fruit and veg until dinner time...

i really feel i need more hours in the day! Or less work hours...

Really good ideas and a big shopping list for me! :) thank you!
  • bunnywestley81
    bunnywestley81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    According to my calculations i need 60g a day. Average about 40 currently. I've only hit 60 once! 22 was my most feeble effort.

I'm sad. I have spreadsheets.
  • debbecake
    debbecake Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I got this recipe from the Buff Dudes youtube page - They call it protein sludge and it's so good, I have it every night for "dessert". You take a scoop of protein powder (whatever flavor you like) and add in a tbsp of all natural peanut butter with some almond milk or coconut milk and you mix it up well. It should be a thicker paste but not too thick, add more liquid if needed. Then put in the freezer and freeze for 30 mins. It's like chocolate ice cream. I add shredded coconut sometimes too, you really can add what you want. But it's awesome :)

Do this but add some frozen banana or frozen strawberries and it's the consistency of ice cream AND you get to eat it right away.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It's much easier to hit your protein targets if you include a little in every meal. Have a dollop of peanut butter with your apple. Eat a bite of cheese with your celery. Have a small handful of nuts with your salad.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I get 12-packs of Chicken of the Sea 2.5 oz salmon packets on subscription from Amazon for less than $10/dozen. I eat the salmon right out of the packet with a fork. Shelf stable, lots of Omega 3 fatty acids, and only 70 calories.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Going to go with protein bars or shakes. Pure Protein or Simple Truth makes good bars that are under 200 cals.
  • DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    On my last trip to costco I got a package of pre-cooked chicken breast strips (chipotle flavor). I divided it into 55g portions and am using them for snacks or adding them to breakfast. only 70 calories and 15g protein with little carb/fat.
  • kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hummus! Great with carrots or other dippable veggies.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I got this recipe from the Buff Dudes youtube page - They call it protein sludge and it's so good, I have it every night for "dessert". You take a scoop of protein powder (whatever flavor you like) and add in a tbsp of all natural peanut butter with some almond milk or coconut milk and you mix it up well. It should be a thicker paste but not too thick, add more liquid if needed. Then put in the freezer and freeze for 30 mins. It's like chocolate ice cream. I add shredded coconut sometimes too, you really can add what you want. But it's awesome :)

So I was intrigued by this and made it today. I didn't even bother with the freezer. Let me preface by saying I normally do not like protein powder things, but OH MY GAWWWD, this was absolutely delicious. I used Trutein Chocolate PB, regular PB (didn't have natural), and a splash of 1% milk. It was heavenly. Thanks!
  • yogeshvaraom
    yogeshvaraom Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Seapoint Farms Roasted Edamame does the trick for me and it is low carb too!