How much does diet and meal timing really matter?

Options
fatcity66
fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
There is a girl at my work (she's probably in her mid 30s-early 40s) that does figure competitions, and she is prepping for a contest right now. She said that she eats 7 times a days, with lean protein, and a small amount of carbs at each meal. She swears that it increases her metabolism. She already looks great, and is very healthy and fit, in spite of having autoimmune hypothyroidism, so obviously she is doing something right. While preparing for a competition she eats a lot of egg whites and chicken and turkey breast. For carbs she eats oats, sweet potatoes, and rice, in very small portions. She doesn't eat any red meat, very little fat, and of course no processed sugar and "crap" foods (her words). I was a bit puzzled but I didn't argue the point, since she's in a lot better shape than I am. When she isn't prepping she will eat more normally, including Taco Bell, cupcakes, etc.
So, is all of this she's doing unnecessary? Could she still get the same results eating only 3 times a day, and eating lean red meats, with occasional treats, but the same amount of calories and protein? Or do these people actually know what they're talking about?

Replies

• JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    For people that are successful with 6-7 meals/day, it's because they're spacing their meals to feel satisfied throughout the day. If that person were to eat the same amount of calories in 3 meals/day, they'd likely be no more or less successful.

At the end of the day, if your calories out exceed your calories in, you'll be successful in losing weight. 17 meals/day or 1 meal/day at the same calorie level will lead to similar results. Training yourself to survive at a caloric deficit or maintenance level is the key to success long term.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    For your average person, meal timing does not matter as far as metabolism/weight loss goes. For serious athletes and figure competitors, I really do not know. I don't fall into either category so I don't pay attention to what is best for them.

Now as far as having energy/feeling energetic during a workout, meals or snacks can make a difference for regular people. That's really a personalized thing (some people can exercise on empty, some can't, some are in between.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    In my experience, it's pretty easy to get to and maintain a healthy BF%...like I have zero issue maintaining 12-15% BF eating pretty healthfully...but also drinking beer with frequency, having pizza nights, eating my desert every night, etc.

It is much more difficult for me to get down around 8-10% BF and to maintain that without getting really strict with my diet just as she has done. There are physiological things that happen when you're already pretty lean but want to get leaner...the human body doesn't like being super lean...at least at my age it doesn't.

Also, a lot of what being that strict does is simply cuts out a lot of calories and reduces water as well...obviously the reduction of calories is going to help reduce the BF%...but removing foods that frequently require the body to hold onto more water would be beneficial in a physique competition...as she would want the leanest possible look.

ETA: meal timing and frequency aren't going to matter a whole lot for the average Joe/Jane...they become more important when you are an athlete and competing, etc. When I train for a century ride for example, my meal timing is very important...not for my weight necessarily, but for my recovery.

• fatcity66
    Options
    JohnBarth wrote: »
    For people that are successful with 6-7 meals/day, it's because they're spacing their meals to feel satisfied throughout the day. If that person were to eat the same amount of calories in 3 meals/day, they'd likely be no more or less successful.

At the end of the day, if your calories out exceed your calories in, you'll be successful in losing weight. 17 meals/day or 1 meal/day at the same calorie level will lead to similar results. Training yourself to survive at a caloric deficit or maintenance level is the key to success long term.

Well, yeah, I mentioned that to her, and she said no, meal timing absolutely matters, and she doesn't just do it for satiety, but that it actually increases her metabolism. She seems very well informed about diet and nutrition, and has been doing this for years, so I just find it hard to believe that she is dead wrong about this?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Generally during competition prep people will lower their calories significantly. To keep from feeling like they are starving they will eat chicken, egg whites, vegetables and oatmeal. It's not necessary, especially if they start prep far enough out from a show.

Honestly, many people who compete end up with eating disorders or they rebound (gain tons of weight) after a show. Extremely restrictive dieting is not sustainable to most people and binge eating for weeks after a show happens often.

What you are doing is just fine as long as it is sustainable for you, includes appropriate macros and meets your micro needs. No need to go to extremes like competitors do during contest prep. You'd hate to reach your goal quickly, just to gain it all back.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »

Well, yeah, I mentioned that to her, and she said no, meal timing absolutely matters, and she doesn't just do it for satiety, but that it actually increases her metabolism. She seems very well informed about diet and nutrition, and has been doing this for years, so I just find it hard to believe that she is dead wrong about this?

Meal timing matters to a small degree. What matters more is adherence to calories and macros.

Our metabolism spikes when we eat, but it is in direct response to the amount we eat and the macros. If you eat 200 calories worth of protein it will spike half as much as if you eat 400 calories worth of protein. She's getting smaller spikes multiple times during the day, where you are getting larger spikes fewer times during the day.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    There is a girl at my work (she's probably in her mid 30s-early 40s) that does figure competitions, and she is prepping for a contest right now. She said that she eats 7 times a days, with lean protein, and a small amount of carbs at each meal. She swears that it increases her metabolism. She already looks great, and is very healthy and fit, in spite of having autoimmune hypothyroidism, so obviously she is doing something right. While preparing for a competition she eats a lot of egg whites and chicken and turkey breast. For carbs she eats oats, sweet potatoes, and rice, in very small portions. She doesn't eat any red meat, very little fat, and of course no processed sugar and "crap" foods (her words). I was a bit puzzled but I didn't argue the point, since she's in a lot better shape than I am. When she isn't prepping she will eat more normally, including Taco Bell, cupcakes, etc.
    So, is all of this she's doing unnecessary? Could she still get the same results eating only 3 times a day, and eating lean red meats, with occasional treats, but the same amount of calories and protein? Or do these people actually know what they're talking about?
    Meal timing and diet type are personal preference only and have nothing to do with weight loss, maintenance, or weight gain, and it does not do anything for metabolism.

However, exercise and lean muscle mass raise our TDEE, so it sounds like she's chosen eating plans that fit for her during both her training and when she is not. If she maintains her weight, it sounds like she is good at portion control and knowing when to stop eating.

It sounds like she has good macro balance, as well, which is for body composition, nutrition, satiety, and energy levels.

You can get the same results eating all your calories in one meal, two meals, three meals, or even more. You can graze all day within your calorie goals and lose weight.
  • fatcity66
    edited March 2015
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Meal timing matters to a small degree. What matters more is adherence to calories and macros.

Our metabolism spikes when we eat, but it is in direct response to the amount we eat and the macros. If you eat 200 calories worth of protein it will spike half as much as if you eat 400 calories worth of protein. She's getting smaller spikes multiple times during the day, where you are getting larger spikes fewer times during the day.

Thanks for explaining that! I think a lot of it has to do with increasing her energy level as well. Because she eats often, and small meals, she's never overly full and sluggish, but has a more constant level of energy, which probably increases her NEAT, as well as allowing her to work out more strenuously.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    my brother is in excellent shape (pilates instructor/fitness personal trainer) and he eats a dozen times a day, very small meals. now, he is not trying to lose weight, so maybe that makes a difference, but he swears by his method. he might eat a spoonful of peanut butter + a handful of raspberries and call that "a meal." i guess it might be worth trying to see how i do with the same method. i just find it difficult to remember to eat that many times, i get so busy. plus he doesn't have children so he doesn't have to think about others when preparing food.
  • usmcmp
    Options

Thanks for explaining that! I think a lot of it has to do with increasing her energy level as well. Because she eats often, and small meals, she's never overly full and sluggish, but has a more constant level of energy, which probably increases her NEAT, as well as allowing her to work out more strenuously.

That would be a personal preference and adherence though. During my competition prep I ate four meals. If I didn't eat enough to feel full at one meal then my NEAT would drop because I would feel sluggish and crabby. I tried eating 6 meals per day, but there wasn't enough at each meal to feel satisfied, which lead to me not sticking to my calorie goal.

You eat in a way that works for you. Focus on overall adherence, whether your calorie/macro goals are appropriate and getting in appropriate exercise for your goals.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Totally unnecessary ... but some folks like to jump through hoops for entertainment, right?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    How sad that Taco Bell and cupcakes seem "normal."

Her diet sounds great, but the timing thing is unnecessary.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    All my friends that do bikini competitions do the same with meal timing. Everyone on MFP seems to disagree but I don't see many of them competing in bikini competitions...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    All my friends that do bikini competitions do the same with meal timing. Everyone on MFP seems to disagree but I don't see many of them competing in bikini competitions...

So is it that it works or is it that it is passed along as a sort of "folk practice" among those who compete?

If you look at relatively insular communities with specialized interests, I bet you would find a lot of things done for specific reasons. They get passed from person to person and, if they don't hurt, then they are continued. But this isn't the same thing as establishing that it is the best way to do something.

It could be. Or it could just be that people are doing what is usually done.
  • usmcmp
    Options

@Asher_Ethan I don't eat that way and I do bodybuilding competition (meaning my body fat has to be even lower than a bikini competitor). It's the traditional "bro" way of cutting for a show. It's not the only way to do it and it isn't necessarily the most effective way to do it.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

@Asher_Ethan I don't eat that way and I do bodybuilding competition (meaning my body fat has to be even lower than a bikini competitor). It's the traditional "bro" way of cutting for a show. It's not the only way to do it and it isn't necessarily the most effective way to do it.

^^^This.

Way to try to take a shot at other members.

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options

@usmcmp Thanks for the information. I honestly thought that if bikini competitors ate this way, then that is how it worked to get that, "bod." I really wish I knew where, "eat 7x a day," came from because every single one of my friends that competes thinks this way.

• usmcmp
    Options

@usmcmp Thanks for the information. I honestly thought that if bikini competitors ate this way, then that is how it worked to get that, "bod." I really wish I knew where, "eat 7x a day," came from because every single one of my friends that competes thinks this way.

It started long before we had the science explaining things. It also started when bodybuilders openly and freely used steroids during competitions. They had to eat more and often to continue fueling their body. People took advice from the pros (without the steroid use) and figured that was the golden rule for competition dieting. Many competitors who reach high levels have to use steroids to get there, even with the "traditional bodybuilding diet" (yes, even bikini competitors use some pretty hard steroids).
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

For the vast majority of people, it won't matter. Comp body builders are outliers. Things matter for them that wouldn't for people with higher/normal BF%. She is, technically, right in a way. Consuming more protein stimulates higher protein oxidation after a number of days. So I guess you could say that's stimulating her metabolism (at least the amino acid part of it). The body is inefficient at storing protein (compared to fat & glycogen/carbs), so the amino acids it cannot use for tissue synthesis get oxidized. That's why body builders spread out their protein consumption in 7 meals vs. 3. It seems like there's bro science among the body building set, too, so who knows where she's coming from. Good on her, though. Huge discipline required.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »

For the vast majority of people, it won't matter. Comp body builders are outliers. Things matter for them that wouldn't for people with higher/normal BF%. She is, technically, right in a way. Consuming more protein stimulates higher protein oxidation after a number of days. So I guess you could say that's stimulating her metabolism (at least the amino acid part of it). The body is inefficient at storing protein (compared to fat & glycogen/carbs), so the amino acids it cannot use for tissue synthesis get oxidized. That's why body builders spread out their protein consumption in 7 meals vs. 3. It seems like there's bro science among the body building set, so who knows where she's coming from. Good on her, though. Huge discipline required.

Except that our body doesn't break down protein immediately and different types of protein are broken down over different lengths of time. There is a lot of broscience in the bodybuilding community. It works, but not for the reasons most of them think it does.