Dieting sucks

Options
13»

Replies

• mocadet95
    mocadet95 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    D_squareG wrote: »
    What I find exhausting is looking in my closet for something that will fit me everyday. That is more mentally draining to me than anything (especially coupled with the continuous thought that I look fat). Nothing worse.

In my senior year of high school I weighed 200 pounds and I remember not being able to fit into anything but my sweatpants and a tshirt. The weight came on so quickly I didn't notice it! Well I am two years past that and have lost 40 pounds but since then I still struggle with finding things in my closet that fit me. Bcus I got rid of so much and gained back ten of the 40 and that's why I am on here. Haha. Weight loss is such a hard thing, and it is motivating to me in a way when I cant fit into anything, especially the things that I love to wear. Keep going! It gets better ! And it is so so worth it.
  • KnightsGal76
    KnightsGal76 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I agree with you - dieting DOES suck! Big Time! I don't really have anything profound to say that hasn't already been said.. just know that you are not alone! There are many of us who feel the same way. Don't give up, and I am proud of you for choosing to eat the Fiber One bar instead of the donut! WAY TO GO GIRL!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    So diet might suck for some. I know being overweight and obese sucks way more than a diet. Suck it up or stay fat.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    "dieting" does not have to equal self torture and it does not suck.

I incorporate all kinds of food into my day - ice cream, cookies, bagels, pasta, hamburgers etc, and I am cutting right now and am losing just about one pound per week.

where people get into trouble is when they start viewing entire food groups as "bad' and say I can't have that. You said you wanted a donut instead of a fiber one bar one day, why not have both?

As long as you hit your calorie/micro/macro targets you can eat the foods you like and you still hit your goals.

However, if your mindset is that dieting = eating fiber one bars every day; drinking water all the time; having just fish or chicken for dinner with some vegetables; and never having any kind of treat; then yes, i agree that would be a horrible way to exist.

so change your mindset and realize that no foods are bad and you can eat the foods you like and hit your goals.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Dieting does suck... But learning to eat better and learn to be healthier (even smaller) you is not so bad...

It is all in the mind how you perceive change! If you only want to get down to a certain size and then go back to the ways you always did things before then your results will always be same...

• KnightsGal76
    KnightsGal76 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think most people are missing the point...I think dieting does suck... yet I still get my "treats" and stay within my calorie goal...what sucks about it is that I am always having to think about what goes in my mouth... does this fit in the calorie goal? I wish sometimes that I just didn't have to think about it, that I could eat to live and not live to eat.... It isn't that I don't like the foods that I eat because I eat yummy foods, I just wish I didn't have to log it all down and always have to think about it... that is what sucks for me
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I think most people are missing the point...I think dieting does suck... yet I still get my "treats" and stay within my calorie goal...what sucks about it is that I am always having to think about what goes in my mouth... does this fit in the calorie goal? I wish sometimes that I just didn't have to think about it, that I could eat to live and not live to eat.... It isn't that I don't like the foods that I eat because I eat yummy foods, I just wish I didn't have to log it all down and always have to think about it... that is what sucks for me

it only takes me like five minutes to log my whole day….

try pre-logging ...
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

You mean you have to take responsibility for your own wellbeing and look after you health? Everyone understands it takes discipline for people who have ignored it, but then you dont get things worth achieving because they are easy.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I agree that dieting sucks and understand where you are coming from. I have lost a lot of weight and this is the first time it has lasted. I lost most of my weight 5 years ago, over 100 pounds and have kept most of it off but never hit my goal weight. That is what I am working on now. I know that I will have to watch what I eat for the rest of my life and workout for the rest of my life. So, as I work on losing weight, I am trying to find a better balance of strict eating habits and letting myself eat what I want. I understand the whole eat what you want in moderation thing, but moderation is tough for me sometimes, so I stay away from some of those foods for the most part. Logging the food doesn't bother me, but there are days when I skip it, usually when I go to a party and graze :) During the week, I pre-log everything. It keeps me on track and if I am still hungry, I know how many calories I have left.
  • efrensgirl2015
    efrensgirl2015 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I agree with folks here saying "it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change." That, for me, is spot-on. I have weaned myself off of heavy sugars - now things like doughnuts actually don't appeal to me...which is pretty awesome, seeing as I came from being a 290lb teenager who could sit and eat icing with a spoon!

I think that we get used to (and someone "immune" to) heavy amounts of fats, sugars, salts. Sometimes, after holidays and whatnot, I'll have over-done sugar SO MUCH that I crave it all the time. (The more I eat, the more I want it - it's a vicious cycle). What I'll do then is go on a 7-14 day added sugar-free period. [No honey, sugar in tea/coffee, no ketchup - nothing that blatantly or secretly tastes sweet. Sometimes I'll allow myself a strawberry or a couple raisins...but that's it.] Of course, the first 3-4 days are super hard. After about day 7 or 10 or so, I'll actually STOP craving sugar. For just a week of severe restriction, the next months and months are made SO much easier. It's a tough 7 days, but it's got a really, really high pay-off, for me. Having less of this added stuff will do your body a world of good - and over time, it WILL become less desirable.

I don't believe that you can just "cardio" it away, though. First - the calorie guesstimates on MFP are WAY over the top. Second - I don't think bodies work like little machines, all the time. There are fluctuations. I tend to eat back only 20-30% of what I "exercise off" in a day - I think I would gain weight, otherwise.

I totally agree with what you said about sugar. I go through my withdrawal too. The first 2 or 3 days are tough but i compensate by not watching my caloric intake those days. Then when I am off sugar I address the rest of my eating and yes it makes the process much easier afterwards. I have ice cream and brownies and cookies in my house and they don't have a control hold on me. I can serve myself a half cup of ice cream, enjoy it and move on. But if I didn't do my sugar detox I would want to consume everything sweet in sight. I read once that sugar addiction is stronger than a heroin addiction....I have never been addicted to heroin but if that statement is true,
    that is pretty intense.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Your diary is private but I would hazard a guess you have your weight loss set for the highest allowed (1200cals) 2 lbs a week? This is often unnecessary and often the cause of peoples distress when it comes to calorie restrictions when using this site/app. I would recommend you read the following links...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/817188/iifym/p1

Regarding time restraints as mentioned incorporate more NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) into your day such as more walking, stairs etc.

Lastly a vast majority of users on here have similar or more demanding time constraints on their hands but are able to squeeze in exercise when possible, which isn't necessary to lose weight only a calorie deficit is required but the benefits are worth it.

So remember...

3NKet3K.jpg

Venting can be healthy but don't let a negative head space make things seem impossible.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

I personally like this comment.. This actually is how I feel and my husband says that I am always worried about food consumption (can I eat this? how many calories is it? How many carbs does it have, blah blah blah).

I log everything and everything I log I eat... but this really does suck daily...
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    A Jam doughnut is 230 calories (OK that's jelly doughnut for you American's and it's from a local bakery)

My standard breakfast is something like egg white, mushroom and cheddar on a slice of white toast with black pepper and a large coffee (and that's around 200 calories or so)

If looking at the Jam Doughnut was making me cry .. I'd eat it

It's all about fitting in what you want